Widescreen dv to anamorphic dvd aspect ratio problem. Why?

After converting some 16:9 (anamorphic DV) videos from my Panasonic
PV-DV953 to anamorphic DVD,using either Tmpgenc, or the Pinacle
studio 9 encoder, i found that the aspect ratio of the resulting
anamorphic dvd isn't right. People are shorter (i said shorter) and a
ball look like an elipse.
i've tried all the possible combinations of source aspect ratio and
video streams with these results:

Source Aspect Ratio: Video Stream
16:9 525 line (NTSC) 16:9 display (people short)
16:9 Display 16:9 display (people short)
1:1 VGA 1:1 VGA (same result as the two first)
16:9 625 line (PAL) 16:9 display (people even shorter)

After a while i found out that if i set the video arrange method to

Custom; Center ; 700 x 490, i get the exact proportion. I even get a
little black bar on the sides, so i lose less image for the overscan,
so that's not a problem. There's some few lines lost on the top and
the bottom too.

I Tried other arrange methods like: Center, Center Keep Aspect ratio,
full screen, Fulscreen K.A.R and so on with no success. People always
short and fat.

Now two questions:

First: Are you guys owners of the PV-dv953 or the new Sonys that does
anamorphic DV as well, having the same problem? Shouldn't the
proportion be right out of the box, since the avi DV is also an
anamorphic 720x480 as the DVD compatible MPEG2 ? (I tried input 1:1
VGA and Output 1:1 VGA with the same results.

Second: I couldn't find the answer to this question even after a lot
of googling. Does this settings (custom, center, 700x490) in Tmpgenc
causes resizing of the image? I don't want resizing, wich would
certainly cause quality loss. I guess that it only sets a flag to
assign the pixel aspect ratio, but i'm not sure. Of course the
resulting mpeg is a compatible 720x480.
I never tested these anamorphic DVD on a widescreen TV. I Tested only
on a 4:3 TV (the player doing the letterbox) and on the PC monitor
with a software player with the same results. I measured the window of
the software player, and the proportion was exactly 16:9, although the
image inside it was distorted before i did the arrange method.

Could someone explain how exactly works the video arrange methods in
Tmpgenc? Does it cause resizing? All of them? Which ones?

I Know that the Anamorphic DV is 720x480 (1.5:1) if the pixels were
square.But the pixels in dv are 0.9, right? What I need is a perfect
16:9 (1.77:1) with a ball looking like a ball and people not skinny
nor fatty.

Sorry for the odd English. I'm from Brazil. Thanks. Waiting for