Is There A Codec "Manager" Utility?

Hello Group, and thanks for past help:

My computer (Sony Vaio) has suddenly stopped allowing capturing from my
DVcam (Sony D8). After some poking around, I managed to get it to work fine
with Premiere 6.5 but any other capture program (Vegas, Studio8, VideoWave,
etc.) either locks up or crashes or simply indicates that the device is
"offline" (DVgate). It seems that this happened after a customer gave me
some videos for which I had to install some codecs. I tried doing the WinXP
restore to a day before the install with no help.
Does anyone know if there is any kind of utility or program that will allow
me to see what codecs are installed on my system and give me the ability to
either "disable" of delete? The reason I ask is that, while I know what
codecs DO, I don't know how they WORK. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Marty

Do a google search for GSpot Codec Information Appliance and download it
Geoff

"Marty Monaco" <dynalab@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Hello Group, and thanks for past help:
>
> My computer (Sony Vaio) has suddenly stopped allowing capturing from my
> DVcam (Sony D8). After some poking around, I managed to get it to work
fine
> with Premiere 6.5 but any other capture program (Vegas, Studio8,
VideoWave,
> etc.) either locks up or crashes or simply indicates that the device is
> "offline" (DVgate). It seems that this happened after a customer gave me
> some videos for which I had to install some codecs. I tried doing the
WinXP
> restore to a day before the install with no help.
> Does anyone know if there is any kind of utility or program that will
allow
> me to see what codecs are installed on my system and give me the ability
> either "disable" of delete? The reason I ask is that, while I know what
> codecs DO, I don't know how they WORK. Any help is appreciated.
> Thanks, Marty

"Marty Monaco" <dynalab@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
restore to a day before the install with no help.
> Does anyone know if there is any kind of utility or program that will
allow
> me to see what codecs are installed on my system and give me the ability
> either "disable" of delete? The reason I ask is that, while I know what
> codecs DO, I don't know how they WORK. Any help is appreciated.
> Thanks, Marty

Marty,
Do a Google search for VCSwap.
It will allow you to disable and re-enable codecs. I have to use it to
disable MainConcept codec if I'm using Premiere because of a conflict.
However, if I use Avid Xpress I have to re-enable it!

Robin.

Thanx to Geoff and Robin.
-Marty