BEST DVD Burn Software?

What is the best software to burn a DVD?

I have windows xp, sp#2 but absolutely no experience with DVD.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

What are you wanting to do, create a DVD from home movie, copy a DVD or?

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> What is the best software to burn a DVD?
>
> I have windows xp, sp#2 but absolutely no experience with DVD.

I like to be able to copy movies on harddrive, (which were DVD to start
with) onto a DVD.

I also like to copy video from a digital movie camera to a DVD.

Since I am a total newbie to DVD (other than taking movies) I really
probably leave things out that I do not know about as yet.

"Dave" <funinatl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What are you wanting to do, create a DVD from home movie, copy a DVD or?
>
> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> What is the best software to burn a DVD?
>>
>> I have windows xp, sp#2 but absolutely no experience with DVD.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I use Nero for my DVD burning and love it. If you have the ability to
capture movies from your camera or video capture device of some kind then a
good DVD burning software such as Nero is what's needed.

>I like to be able to copy movies on harddrive, (which were DVD to start
>with) onto a DVD.
>
> I also like to copy video from a digital movie camera to a DVD.
>
> Since I am a total newbie to DVD (other than taking movies) I really
> probably leave things out that I do not know about as yet.
>
> "Dave" <funinatl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> What are you wanting to do, create a DVD from home movie, copy a DVD or?
>>
>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> What is the best software to burn a DVD?
>>>
>>> I have windows xp, sp#2 but absolutely no experience with DVD.

I downloaded the latest update to NERO but I am still not sure whether that
is for DVD or still for CD burning.
I am just looking at the Help in NERO and it says version 5.0.4.8. But all
things seem to look to CD not DVD. So I guess NERO in its present form is
out.

The DVD player/burner is ASUS and when I put in a commercially bought DVD it
comes up with the title, in this case Fahrenheit 7/11. Then when I click on
the Play button the ASUS software comes up and says "no DVD in drive"

Now that really confuses me since the DVD is in the drive and it does
recognize it at the beginning and the full screen comes up with the title,
the same as when I have it in a DVD player connected to the TV. This DVD
player/burner is of course in the computer.

So what gives here?

>I use Nero for my DVD burning and love it. If you have the ability to
>capture movies from your camera or video capture device of some kind then a
>good DVD burning software such as Nero is what's needed.
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I like to be able to copy movies on harddrive, (which were DVD to start
>>with) onto a DVD.
>>
>> I also like to copy video from a digital movie camera to a DVD.
>>
>> Since I am a total newbie to DVD (other than taking movies) I really
>> probably leave things out that I do not know about as yet.
>>
>> "Dave" <funinatl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> What are you wanting to do, create a DVD from home movie, copy a DVD or?
>>>
>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

I have to add and change my previous comments.

I found out that when I start the ASUS software from the Start,All Programs,
it does then recognize the DVD and play it. So far, so good.

Now I still want to know what I need (maybe NERO for DVD?) to burn the
images from this movie which is on my harddrive, to a DVD?

I have re-writable DVD's to experiment with at this time.

Using windows xp, sp #2.

"Dave" <funinatl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I use Nero for my DVD burning and love it. If you have the ability to
>capture movies from your camera or video capture device of some kind then a
>good DVD burning software such as Nero is what's needed.
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I like to be able to copy movies on harddrive, (which were DVD to start
>>with) onto a DVD.
>>
>> I also like to copy video from a digital movie camera to a DVD.
>>
>> Since I am a total newbie to DVD (other than taking movies) I really
>> probably leave things out that I do not know about as yet.
>>
>> "Dave" <funinatl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> What are you wanting to do, create a DVD from home movie, copy a DVD or?
>>>
>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

That's an old version of Nero. The latest version is something like
6.6.0.6. But the complete suite comes with other software for editing DVDs
etc.

>I downloaded the latest update to NERO but I am still not sure whether that
>is for DVD or still for CD burning.
> I am just looking at the Help in NERO and it says version 5.0.4.8. But all
> things seem to look to CD not DVD. So I guess NERO in its present form is
> out.
>
> The DVD player/burner is ASUS and when I put in a commercially bought DVD
> it comes up with the title, in this case Fahrenheit 7/11. Then when I
> click on the Play button the ASUS software comes up and says "no DVD in
> drive"
>
> Now that really confuses me since the DVD is in the drive and it does
> recognize it at the beginning and the full screen comes up with the title,
> the same as when I have it in a DVD player connected to the TV. This DVD
> player/burner is of course in the computer.
>
> So what gives here?
>
> "Dave" <funinatl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I use Nero for my DVD burning and love it. If you have the ability to
>>capture movies from your camera or video capture device of some kind then
>>a good DVD burning software such as Nero is what's needed.
>>

>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I like to be able to copy movies on harddrive, (which were DVD to start
>>>with) onto a DVD.
>>>
>>> I also like to copy video from a digital movie camera to a DVD.
>>>
>>> Since I am a total newbie to DVD (other than taking movies) I really
>>> probably leave things out that I do not know about as yet.
>>>
>>> "Dave" <funinatl@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks, I just downloaded that version on a TRIAL basis.

Seems not exactly intuitive, but I did succeed.

I have a lot to learn, I am sure. A somewhat easier program might also help.
But thanks nonetheless

> That's an old version of Nero. The latest version is something like
> 6.6.0.6. But the complete suite comes with other software for editing
> DVDs etc.
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I downloaded the latest update to NERO but I am still not sure whether
>>that is for DVD or still for CD burning.
>> I am just looking at the Help in NERO and it says version 5.0.4.8. But
>> all things seem to look to CD not DVD. So I guess NERO in its present
>> form is out.
>>
>> The DVD player/burner is ASUS and when I put in a commercially bought DVD
>> it comes up with the title, in this case Fahrenheit 7/11. Then when I
>> click on the Play button the ASUS software comes up and says "no DVD in
>> drive"
>>
>> Now that really confuses me since the DVD is in the drive and it does
>> recognize it at the beginning and the full screen comes up with the
>> title, the same as when I have it in a DVD player connected to the TV.
>> This DVD player/burner is of course in the computer.
>>
>> So what gives here?
>>
>> "Dave" <funinatl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I use Nero for my DVD burning and love it. If you have the ability to
>>>capture movies from your camera or video capture device of some kind then
>>>a good DVD burning software such as Nero is what's needed.
>>>

>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

peter

Look for a program called DVD Shrink.....do a google
peter
>I have to add and change my previous comments.
>
> I found out that when I start the ASUS software from the Start,All Programs,
> it does then recognize the DVD and play it. So far, so good.
>
> Now I still want to know what I need (maybe NERO for DVD?) to burn the images
> from this movie which is on my harddrive, to a DVD?
>
> I have re-writable DVD's to experiment with at this time.
>
> Using windows xp, sp #2.
>
> "Dave" <funinatl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I use Nero for my DVD burning and love it. If you have the ability to capture
>>movies from your camera or video capture device of some kind then a good DVD
>>burning software such as Nero is what's needed.
>>

>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I like to be able to copy movies on harddrive, (which were DVD to start with)
>>>onto a DVD.
>>>
>>> I also like to copy video from a digital movie camera to a DVD.
>>>
>>> Since I am a total newbie to DVD (other than taking movies) I really
>>> probably leave things out that I do not know about as yet.
>>>
>>> "Dave" <funinatl@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Just to clarify it though. DVD Shrink doesn't do the burning. You still
have to have DVD burning software. DVD Shrink has the ability to interface
directly with Nero though.

"peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
> Look for a program called DVD Shrink.....do a google
> peter
> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have to add and change my previous comments.
>>
>> I found out that when I start the ASUS software from the Start,All
>> Programs, it does then recognize the DVD and play it. So far, so good.
>>
>> Now I still want to know what I need (maybe NERO for DVD?) to burn the
>> images from this movie which is on my harddrive, to a DVD?
>>
>> I have re-writable DVD's to experiment with at this time.
>>
>> Using windows xp, sp #2.
>>
>> "Dave" <funinatl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I use Nero for my DVD burning and love it. If you have the ability to
>>>capture movies from your camera or video capture device of some kind then
>>>a good DVD burning software such as Nero is what's needed.
>>>

>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

Also, there are many how-to guides at Videohelp.com.