Can I temporarily disable my software DVD player?

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • DVD Players
  • Software
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 16, 2004 10:59:41 PM

Here is the problem in a nutshell. When I render a file in Adobe
Premiere Pro and I use MPEG rather than PCM compression for the audio
and I create a multiplexed Mpeg-2 file and then I try and play the
rendered file back on the monitor window in Premiere the computer
locks up. However, if I uninstall my DVD player software (I have both
PowerDVD and WinDVD) I do not have this problem. There are times when
I need to be able to play the file in the Premiere monitor window but
I do not want to have to uninstall my DVD software just so I can do
that, There is obviously a conflict in codecs or something somewhere
so I was wondering of there was a way I could temporarily "disable"
the DVD software while I did what I need to do in Premiere and then
"enable" it after I was done.

As an aside, the Adobe support group for Premiere Pro is awash with
issues and complaints about audio problems

As another aside, if I render using PCM as my audio choice then the
file will not play the audio in Quicktime and this is a big problem
since I use Quicktime constantly. There is no problem if the audio is
rendered with Mpeg compression. Quicktime is the only player I have
found that will let me step both forward and backward frame by frame
with the arrow keys, which is essential for me in analyzing Ballroom
dance routines. I can find players that will let me step forward
frame by frame but not backward.

Thanks

More about : temporarily disable software dvd player

Anonymous
April 17, 2004 3:32:23 AM

The OS you are using would be helpful to providing a solution...

"John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Here is the problem in a nutshell. When I render a file in Adobe
> Premiere Pro and I use MPEG rather than PCM compression for the audio
> and I create a multiplexed Mpeg-2 file and then I try and play the
> rendered file back on the monitor window in Premiere the computer
> locks up. However, if I uninstall my DVD player software (I have both
> PowerDVD and WinDVD) I do not have this problem. There are times when
> I need to be able to play the file in the Premiere monitor window but
> I do not want to have to uninstall my DVD software just so I can do
> that, There is obviously a conflict in codecs or something somewhere
> so I was wondering of there was a way I could temporarily "disable"
> the DVD software while I did what I need to do in Premiere and then
> "enable" it after I was done.
>
> As an aside, the Adobe support group for Premiere Pro is awash with
> issues and complaints about audio problems
>
> As another aside, if I render using PCM as my audio choice then the
> file will not play the audio in Quicktime and this is a big problem
> since I use Quicktime constantly. There is no problem if the audio is
> rendered with Mpeg compression. Quicktime is the only player I have
> found that will let me step both forward and backward frame by frame
> with the arrow keys, which is essential for me in analyzing Ballroom
> dance routines. I can find players that will let me step forward
> frame by frame but not backward.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 12:10:57 PM

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:32:23 -0400, "Commentator"
<commentator@nospam.com> wrote:

>The OS you are using would be helpful to providing a solution...
>

>"John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Here is the problem in a nutshell. When I render a file in Adobe
>> Premiere Pro and I use MPEG rather than PCM compression for the audio
>> and I create a multiplexed Mpeg-2 file and then I try and play the
>> rendered file back on the monitor window in Premiere the computer
>> locks up. However, if I uninstall my DVD player software (I have both
>> PowerDVD and WinDVD) I do not have this problem. There are times when
>> I need to be able to play the file in the Premiere monitor window but
>> I do not want to have to uninstall my DVD software just so I can do
>> that, There is obviously a conflict in codecs or something somewhere
>> so I was wondering of there was a way I could temporarily "disable"
>> the DVD software while I did what I need to do in Premiere and then
>> "enable" it after I was done.
>>
>> As an aside, the Adobe support group for Premiere Pro is awash with
>> issues and complaints about audio problems
>>
>> As another aside, if I render using PCM as my audio choice then the
>> file will not play the audio in Quicktime and this is a big problem
>> since I use Quicktime constantly. There is no problem if the audio is
>> rendered with Mpeg compression. Quicktime is the only player I have
>> found that will let me step both forward and backward frame by frame
>> with the arrow keys, which is essential for me in analyzing Ballroom
>> dance routines. I can find players that will let me step forward
>> frame by frame but not backward.
>>
>> Thanks

XP Home
April 18, 2004 2:36:39 AM

"John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Here is the problem in a nutshell. When I render a file in Adobe
> Premiere Pro and I use MPEG rather than PCM compression for the audio
> and I create a multiplexed Mpeg-2 file and then I try and play the
> rendered file back on the monitor window in Premiere the computer
> locks up. However, if I uninstall my DVD player software (I have both
> PowerDVD and WinDVD) I do not have this problem. There are times when
> I need to be able to play the file in the Premiere monitor window but
> I do not want to have to uninstall my DVD software just so I can do
> that, There is obviously a conflict in codecs or something somewhere
> so I was wondering of there was a way I could temporarily "disable"
> the DVD software while I did what I need to do in Premiere and then
> "enable" it after I was done.

I assume Premiere uses DirectShow to play back your rendered files. In that
case, you can temporarily disable the DirectShow filters of your DVD
software by unregistering them. For PowerDVD, there are two files that must
be unregistered, claud.ax and clvsd.ax. Find those files on your computer,
and run this command for each file:
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\claud.ax"
....where the *.ax files are in their correct path. To register them again,
use
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\claud.ax".

This works for PowerDVD 4.0. You can put these commands in a shortcut for
quick access. I don't have WinDVD, but the process should be similar. Look
for any *.ax or *.dll files in your WinDVD directory that have any
indication that they might be the DirectShow decoder filters, then try to
unregister them with regsvr32. Let me know if it works or if I should
elaborate on something.
__
Alex
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 12:43:22 PM

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:36:39 GMT, "Alex R"
<pcalex@REMOVETHIS.hotpop.com> wrote:

>"John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Here is the problem in a nutshell. When I render a file in Adobe
>> Premiere Pro and I use MPEG rather than PCM compression for the audio
>> and I create a multiplexed Mpeg-2 file and then I try and play the
>> rendered file back on the monitor window in Premiere the computer
>> locks up. However, if I uninstall my DVD player software (I have both
>> PowerDVD and WinDVD) I do not have this problem. There are times when
>> I need to be able to play the file in the Premiere monitor window but
>> I do not want to have to uninstall my DVD software just so I can do
>> that, There is obviously a conflict in codecs or something somewhere
>> so I was wondering of there was a way I could temporarily "disable"
>> the DVD software while I did what I need to do in Premiere and then
>> "enable" it after I was done.
>
>I assume Premiere uses DirectShow to play back your rendered files. In that
>case, you can temporarily disable the DirectShow filters of your DVD
>software by unregistering them. For PowerDVD, there are two files that must
>be unregistered, claud.ax and clvsd.ax. Find those files on your computer,
>and run this command for each file:
> regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\claud.ax"
>...where the *.ax files are in their correct path. To register them again,
>use
> regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\claud.ax".
>
>This works for PowerDVD 4.0. You can put these commands in a shortcut for
>quick access. I don't have WinDVD, but the process should be similar. Look
>for any *.ax or *.dll files in your WinDVD directory that have any
>indication that they might be the DirectShow decoder filters, then try to
>unregister them with regsvr32. Let me know if it works or if I should
>elaborate on something.
>__
>Alex

Thanks. There is no clvsd.ax in that directory.
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 1:44:13 AM

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 08:43:22 -0400, John H. Power
<johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:36:39 GMT, "Alex R"
><pcalex@REMOVETHIS.hotpop.com> wrote:
>
>>"John H. Power" <johnpowe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> Here is the problem in a nutshell. When I render a file in Adobe
>>> Premiere Pro and I use MPEG rather than PCM compression for the audio
>>> and I create a multiplexed Mpeg-2 file and then I try and play the
>>> rendered file back on the monitor window in Premiere the computer
>>> locks up. However, if I uninstall my DVD player software (I have both
>>> PowerDVD and WinDVD) I do not have this problem.

<snip>

>>I assume Premiere uses DirectShow to play back your rendered files. In that
>>case, you can temporarily disable the DirectShow filters of your DVD
>>software by unregistering them. For PowerDVD, there are two files that must
>>be unregistered, claud.ax and clvsd.ax. Find those files on your computer,
>>and run this command for each file:
>> regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\claud.ax"
>>...where the *.ax files are in their correct path. To register them again,
>>use
>> regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\claud.ax".
>>
>>This works for PowerDVD 4.0. You can put these commands in a shortcut for
>>quick access. I don't have WinDVD, but the process should be similar. Look
>>for any *.ax or *.dll files in your WinDVD directory that have any
>>indication that they might be the DirectShow decoder filters, then try to
>>unregister them with regsvr32. Let me know if it works or if I should
>>elaborate on something.
>>__
>>Alex
>>
>Thanks. There is no clvsd.ax in that directory.

If you would like visual help:
ZoomPlayer has a facility to view the filters your system knows about,
and to edit/register/unregister them.
http://www.inmatrix.com/
(freeware version available).
If you have no need for a (better?) player, there's also the freeware
tool Rad Light Filter Manager
which can be downloaded from this page:
http://www.radlight.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=355
and can do the same.

I suppose there are other managers also.
I have used both programs when troubleshooting to view which filters
were available. Both give you the full path to the filters in use.
I haven't tried unregistering/reregistering, but at least such a
filter manager will tell you where to find the file you want to do
something about.
(Can't hurt to make a note of what you do).

Regards
Harald H
!