MovieMaker not recognizing Sony digital camcorder

I have a Sony DCR-TRV130 digital camcorder and bought a 4pin (camcorder) to 6
pin (PC) IEEE 1394 firewire cable (Monster). I'm running Windows XP on a Dell
Dimension 8300 with a ATI all in wonder 9000 video card with all the drivers
installed and updated (the troubleshooter states that all is functioning
properly). When I try to capture video from the camcorder, the video capture
device (my camcorder) isn't listed. I followed the steps in the manual for
the camcorder and even went through Sony help chatline to make sure I
configured it to i.LINK. The only video capture device listed in the MM
video capture wizard is ATI Rage Theater Video Capture. Am I missing
something
1 answer Last reply
More about moviemaker recognizing sony digital camcorder

    There are many reasons for not being able to capture, it is always best to
    start with the most obvious and work your way through.

    With the computer on, connect the camcorder to the pc using a firewire
    cable. It is important to use firewire as USB cannot control the camera
    fully and the information flow is often not capable of transferring full
    sized dv-avi files. Most video capture applications also only work with a
    firewire connected camcorder.

    Turn the camcorder on and into the vcr/playback position. XP should give
    it's characteristic new hardware inserted ping followed by the new hardware
    balloon appearing in the bottom right of your pc screen. XP should have all
    the drivers it needs for all the latest devices, so at this point you should
    just allow XP to load all the information it wants. The writing in the
    balloon should alter, with possibly the type of device and the make and
    model number as well. When it has finished the balloon will say "Your new
    hardware is installed and ready to use." The balloon should then disappear.

    What happens if the perfect world scenario doesn't work for you? That's why
    you are here isn't it. To start we need to break down the process into it's
    various parts and gradually rule out each one as we go.

    The PC.

    1. Ensure the firewire port is enabled and working.

    From the main windows screen go
    Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager
    If when you get to Control Panel you cannot see System, either click on
    classic view at the top left and it will then be one of the options or go
    from Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance> System > Device Manager.
    In Device Manager you should look for the IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
    entry. If you can expand this you should have something similar to OHCI
    Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller.
    Neither of these entries should have a yellow exclamation mark by them, like
    you can see in the picture where there is one next to network adaptors. if
    there is, you have a problem.

    To fix this you can do a number of things, we'll start with the easiest and
    move on to the harder as we progress.

    If you have closed down device manager, then open it back up. Right click on
    OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 host controller and then left click on Update
    driver. This will open up a box labeled Hardware Update Wizard. Click on
    next and leave it to find the driver. XP should contain all the files needed
    to replace the drivers for your firewire card, so after waiting a short
    while, during which time the box will now say please wait while the wizard
    searches. The box should end up saying the device is installed and ready to
    use. If you check again in device manager the yellow exclamation mark should
    now be gone.

    There may also be a red cross through it, this would mean that the device
    has not been enabled. To re-enable the device all you need to do is right
    click on OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 host controller and then left click on
    enable.

    It's a good idea to check for faulty components at this stage.

    The easiest way to check for faulty components is to get your hands on some
    other items which you know for sure work. These will be a computer, firewire
    cable and another camcorder, funnily enough all the same parts we are having
    trouble with!!!!!

    Firstly how do we know these new components work, well if a friend has a
    camcorder and uses his pc for editing and he can demonstrate that his pc
    recognise's his camera, then you know the three items work.
    I would suggest to test all three pieces of equipment on each other, so your
    cam with his cable and pc, your cam and cable on his pc, his cam your cable
    and his pc, etc until you have been through every option.
    Do not stop if you think you have found one faulty item, you may have two or
    even all three!

    If this hasn't shown up a faulty cam or cable the next step is to get inside
    the pc.

    Conflicts can exist between pci cards due to the way the port has been
    assigned. The main problems are, No IRQ has been assigned, an IRQ has been
    assigned, but it has a software conflict, an IRQ has been assigned, and it
    has a hardware conflict.

    Simply put the firewire card may be interfering with say the sound card, or
    vice versa.

    The first step is to go back into device manager and after right clicking on
    the OHCI compliant ieee1394 host controller, is to choose uninstall, a
    warning will come up, choose yes and the firewire card will be removed from
    the system.

    We now need to get inside the pc and the first thing you need to do when
    working inside the pc is to read safety first.

    Next, remove the case cover and determine which the firewire card is. Remove
    any cables from the card which may be connected to it, carefully move any
    cables which may interfere with physically removing the card, then unscrew
    the screw holding the card tightly in place to the case. Once this is
    removed we are ready to take out the card, a good time to ensure you are
    earthed!! Take hold of the card, carefully but firmly and pull it out as
    best you can in an all in one motion straight up, try not to lever it out by
    rocking from side to side.

    Place the card somewhere safe and away from anything that may build up
    static, so not on a carpet.

    Now, we need to turn the pc back on again. So, please put the case cover
    back on, we don't want you getting an electric shock before solving your
    problem. After replacing the cover boot up the pc as normal. Let it start up
    and then leave it on for a minute or two and then turn it off. Again leave
    it for a few minutes before starting work on it.

    We need to remove the case and replace the firewire card. This time we need
    to place it in to a different pci slot. This will help solve any interrupt
    request conflicts. Again, push it in firmly but carefully, in one downward
    motion, do not try pushing in one side and then the other. Once in place you
    can reconnect any cables and screw in the retaining screw holding the card
    to the case. Now refit the case cover and we are ready to turn on the pc
    again.

    When you turn it on XP should recognise that there is new hardware fitted
    and the new hardware found balloon will again appear and XP will reinstall
    the drivers. Hopefully this will sort the problem and we can get on with
    editing. If not, you may need to repeat the process and move the card to
    another pci slot and retest, and it may even mean swapping all of the cards
    around, such as removing the audio card and placing that in another slot. If
    you need to do this, then follow the above instructions and remove the cards
    drivers from XP before physically removing the card from the pc and then
    reinstalling when you have refitted the card. For this you will need to
    ensure you have the driver cd from the manufacturer of the card.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Dr.Bonz" <Dr.Bonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Sony DCR-TRV130 digital camcorder and bought a 4pin (camcorder)
    to 6
    > pin (PC) IEEE 1394 firewire cable (Monster). I'm running Windows XP on a
    Dell
    > Dimension 8300 with a ATI all in wonder 9000 video card with all the
    drivers
    > installed and updated (the troubleshooter states that all is functioning
    > properly). When I try to capture video from the camcorder, the video
    capture
    > device (my camcorder) isn't listed. I followed the steps in the manual
    for
    > the camcorder and even went through Sony help chatline to make sure I
    > configured it to i.LINK. The only video capture device listed in the MM
    > video capture wizard is ATI Rage Theater Video Capture. Am I missing
    > something

Video Sony Video Capture Camcorders Windows XP