HL2 bug- NPC speech running into itself..?

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 14, 2005 7:38:28 PM

Finished playing HL2 (wow, phew, etc) but one bug started getting annoying
by the end:

When other characters (NPCs I think they're called?) were talking, some of
their sentences would run into each other and for a moment you'd be hearing
the end of one sentence and the first second or two of the next sentence
together. Completely ruined the moment Alyx was getting frisky toward the
end - mouth/speech sync seemed fine but most of her sentences ran into each
other making it all a bit odd. Almost like the engine's mistiming the length
of chunks of speech and firing each successive chunk off a few seconds too
early. The animation engine coped OK considering, and expressions seemed to
catch up with the audio swiftly.

Anyone come across this? clues / pointers? Google clueless.

ta,

a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 4, 2005 10:35:15 PM

> When other characters (NPCs I think they're called?) were talking, some of
> their sentences would run into each other and for a moment you'd be
> hearing the end of one sentence and the first second or two of the next
> sentence together. Completely ruined the moment Alyx was getting frisky
> toward the end - mouth/speech sync seemed fine but most of her sentences
> ran into each other making it all a bit odd. Almost like the engine's
> mistiming the length of chunks of speech and firing each successive chunk
> off a few seconds too early. The animation engine coped OK considering,
> and expressions seemed to catch up with the audio swiftly.

Solution (for me at least): turn down sound hardware acceleration one notch
(start > control panel > Sounds and audio hardware > audio tab > advanced >
performance tab)

--
Running HL2 on P4 laptop @ 1680 x 1050 x 32, on-board Realtek High
Definition audio