compactflash cards

I'm still using old hardware and transfering my digital camera pics by
serial port connection. This is an ancient computer before USB ports
were popular.

I might get a new computer with compactflash card support. Is it a
faster transfer process, and by how much?

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.

"Tim923" <juggler923@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm still using old hardware and transfering my digital camera pics by
> serial port connection. This is an ancient computer before USB ports
> were popular.
>
> I might get a new computer with compactflash card support. Is it a
> faster transfer process, and by how much?
>
> -
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email
> is valid.

The speed difference is like a Floppy disk compared to a Hard Disk or a
snail to a rabbit.

The USB transfer speed is 1.5 Megabytes per second for Version 1.1 and about
60 Megabytes per second maximum for USB 2.0.

USB is what most memory card readers use.

The actual specification is 12 Megabits per second for USB 1.1 and 480
Megabits per second for USB 2.0.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Alan

> I might get a new computer with compactflash card support. Is it a
> faster transfer process, and by how much?

USB is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy faster than serial - even USB 1 is far faster
than serial.

bj

You don't need a PC with Card support - just a PC with USB support. If your
camera doesn't support USB then you just need a Card Reader.

"Tim923" <juggler923@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm still using old hardware and transfering my digital camera pics by
> serial port connection. This is an ancient computer before USB ports
> were popular.
>
> I might get a new computer with compactflash card support. Is it a
> faster transfer process, and by how much?
>
> -
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email
> is valid.

>You don't need a PC with Card support - just a PC with USB support. If your
>camera doesn't support USB then you just need a Card Reader.

I'll have to get a new computer anyways since this one is too slow and
falling apart. Lots of the new (Compaq) computers have places up in
the front to insert cards.

The DC3200 was designed for serial port connection, and I don't think
a USB connection would work.

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.

bj

I definitely wouldn't buy a PC just for that feature. Card Readers are
relatively cheap and will read most cards. A built-in one *might* have
limited card support. Keep flexibility in mind.