Can't output Pinnacle movie to analog VCR

I have an ATI 9800 video card and connected my analog VCR via
composite cables. I can copy VCRS into Pinnacle 9 and render a movie
without problems.

Now I want to write the output to a VCR tape but nothing is output.

The only options in Pinnacle 9 in the make tape options are 1) DV
output or 2) VGA output. Rendering the file seems to work OK - when I
select VGA in the player, I'm not getting anything on tape.

Please help!!

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about output pinnacle movie analog

    On 17 Apr 2004 12:29:27 -0700, ronaldwindham@hotmail.com (Ron) wrote:

    >I have an ATI 9800 video card and connected my analog VCR via
    >composite cables. I can copy VCRS into Pinnacle 9 and render a movie
    >without problems.
    >
    >Now I want to write the output to a VCR tape but nothing is output.
    >
    >The only options in Pinnacle 9 in the make tape options are 1) DV
    >output or 2) VGA output. Rendering the file seems to work OK - when I
    >select VGA in the player, I'm not getting anything on tape.
    >
    >Please help!!
    >
    >Thanks

    Just thought I'd express two obvious possibilities why it might not be
    getting through to the tape. The most obvious...make sure the tape
    your using is not copy protected. The other is, in the setup options,
    make sure to choose both the audio and video output devices. Ken

    I use a DC30 capture card, so I cant give you specifics, but with the DC 30,
    the capture has to be done using a CODEC that supports going back out to the
    VCR. I can capture in Video for Windows, and later convert to the "DC30
    Editing Mode" and it will output. Much better to capture in the right
    format in the begining (DC 30 Editing Mode). Since I dont have your card, I
    cant tell you how it is, but this may be affecting it. If you render and
    you dont see it on your TV screen, it is possible that you dont have it in
    the right format to go back out to the VCR. Hope this helps.

    "Ken Palmateer" <kenpalmateer@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > On 17 Apr 2004 12:29:27 -0700, ronaldwindham@hotmail.com (Ron) wrote:
    >
    > >I have an ATI 9800 video card and connected my analog VCR via
    > >composite cables. I can copy VCRS into Pinnacle 9 and render a movie
    > >without problems.
    > >
    > >Now I want to write the output to a VCR tape but nothing is output.
    > >
    > >The only options in Pinnacle 9 in the make tape options are 1) DV
    > >output or 2) VGA output. Rendering the file seems to work OK - when I
    > >select VGA in the player, I'm not getting anything on tape.
    > >
    > >Please help!!
    > >
    > >Thanks
    >
    > Just thought I'd express two obvious possibilities why it might not be
    > getting through to the tape. The most obvious...make sure the tape
    > your using is not copy protected. The other is, in the setup options,
    > make sure to choose both the audio and video output devices. Ken

    Mea Culpa!

    Duh....I didn't have the video-in cables connected - only the output ones
    from the VCR. I guess that would explain it.

    Now I have to find some way to get the s-video output from the ATI into the
    old VCR with just composite inputs.

    Thanks everyone for your time!

    "Gary Price" <deerme1@illicom.net> wrote in message
    > I use a DC30 capture card, so I cant give you specifics, but with the DC
    30,
    > the capture has to be done using a CODEC that supports going back out to
    the
    > VCR. I can capture in Video for Windows, and later convert to the "DC30
    > Editing Mode" and it will output. Much better to capture in the right
    > format in the begining (DC 30 Editing Mode). Since I dont have your card,
    > cant tell you how it is, but this may be affecting it. If you render and
    > you dont see it on your TV screen, it is possible that you dont have it in
    > the right format to go back out to the VCR. Hope this helps.
    >
    > "Ken Palmateer" <kenpalmateer@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > On 17 Apr 2004 12:29:27 -0700, ronaldwindham@hotmail.com (Ron) wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have an ATI 9800 video card and connected my analog VCR via
    > > >composite cables. I can copy VCRS into Pinnacle 9 and render a movie
    > > >without problems.
    > > >
    > > >Now I want to write the output to a VCR tape but nothing is output.
    > > >
    > > >The only options in Pinnacle 9 in the make tape options are 1) DV
    > > >output or 2) VGA output. Rendering the file seems to work OK - when I
    > > >select VGA in the player, I'm not getting anything on tape.
    > > >
    > > >Please help!!
    > > >
    > > >Thanks
    > >
    > > Just thought I'd express two obvious possibilities why it might not be
    > > getting through to the tape. The most obvious...make sure the tape
    > > your using is not copy protected. The other is, in the setup options,
    > > make sure to choose both the audio and video output devices. Ken

    If that is an All-in-Wonder card you get the video out in parallel with
    the VGA. You do have to enable the NTSC output in the video settings.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    stauffer@usfamily.net

    Thanks Don - I have discovered this!

    Anyway, one other little detail, I have a 6.1 speaker system that uses all
    three of my Audigy card's line output connectors.

    Where will I get an audio out connection? Can I use a headphone out from the
    audio card to go into the VCR?

    My VCR doesn't even have 1 s-video connector for output. DO any VCRs have an
    s-video connector for both input AND output?

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:46:15 -0700, "RonW" <ron_windham@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks Don - I have discovered this!
    >
    >Anyway, one other little detail, I have a 6.1 speaker system that uses all
    >three of my Audigy card's line output connectors.
    >
    >Where will I get an audio out connection? Can I use a headphone out from the
    >audio card to go into the VCR?

    Maybe, but if you're stuck using the sound card, I'd say use the
    main line out (stereo) -- which means disconnecting the speakers. It
    is likelier to do a clean signal at the right level.

    >My VCR doesn't even have 1 s-video connector for output. DO any VCRs have an
    >s-video connector for both input AND output?

    SVHS VCRs come with s-video connectors. I've never seen a VHS VCR
    with them, even though they'd work just fine. If you only have
    s-video out, there are adapters -- Radio Shack had them -- but I've
    always used a camcorder or VCR with s-video in to work around the
    issue.

    OTOH, if you had an s-video capable camcorder, or any digital
    camcorder, you could just use those -- using a digital camcorder for
    editing is much easier than analog.

    >"Don Stauffer" <stauffer@usfamily.net> wrote in message
    >> If that is an All-in-Wonder card you get the video out in parallel with
    >> the VGA. You do have to enable the NTSC output in the video settings.
    >>
    >> Ron wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I have an ATI 9800 video card and connected my analog VCR via
    >> > composite cables. I can copy VCRS into Pinnacle 9 and render a movie
    >> > without problems.
    >> >
    >> > Now I want to write the output to a VCR tape but nothing is output.
    >> >
    >> > The only options in Pinnacle 9 in the make tape options are 1) DV
    >> > output or 2) VGA output. Rendering the file seems to work OK - when I
    >> > select VGA in the player, I'm not getting anything on tape.
    >> >
    >> > Please help!!
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >>
    >> --
    >> Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    >> stauffer@usfamily.net
    >> webpage- http://www.usfamily.net/web/stauffer

    RonW <ron_windham@hotmail.com> wrote:
    (snip)
    : My VCR doesn't even have 1 s-video connector for output. DO any VCRs have an
    : s-video connector for both input AND output?

    Yes, but they are mostly SVHS recorders.

    Richard in Boston, MA, USA

Tuner Cards Movies Pinnacle Graphics