File too big for DVD?

kevinm

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004

I captured an 80 minute video I filmed with my Sony HC30 MiniDV camcorder.
I imported it to Movie Maker, made my titles, and then went to Sonic's MYDVD
to try and burn the DVD. But no matter what format I capture and save it in,
it still comes out 5.3 gig and is too big for a DVD.

Is there any fix to this? It might be that this is just the way it is and
an 80 minute MiniDV is just always too big. But if there's any way to fix
this, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks so much.

I'm pretty new at this but I have Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 and when I
went to burn a video to DVD, a popup appeared that said it was too big,
did I want to shrink it to fit. I said OK and it burned it to the
single DVD. From what I understand, what it does is to compress the
video and record it at a lower resolution which may or may not be
noticeable. In my case, I was using VHS tapes as the source so the DVD
looks at least as good as the original tapes. Also, other software for
video editing/capture may offer the shrink options. Maybe Sonic
does--you could check their site for tech support or a help forum.

Ken

KevinM wrote:
> I captured an 80 minute video I filmed with my Sony HC30 MiniDV camcorder.
> I imported it to Movie Maker, made my titles, and then went to Sonic's MYDVD
> to try and burn the DVD. But no matter what format I capture and save it in,
> it still comes out 5.3 gig and is too big for a DVD.
>
> Is there any fix to this? It might be that this is just the way it is and
> an 80 minute MiniDV is just always too big. But if there's any way to fix
> this, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks so much.

I'm not sure what choices you have in mydvd, but I would have thought you'd
have something like best quality, medium quality, lowest quality or 60 mins
120 mins 180 mins or something similar, I'd have though by choosing medium
then it should fit on.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"KevinM" <KevinM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I captured an 80 minute video I filmed with my Sony HC30 MiniDV camcorder.
> I imported it to Movie Maker, made my titles, and then went to Sonic's
MYDVD
> to try and burn the DVD. But no matter what format I capture and save it
in,
> it still comes out 5.3 gig and is too big for a DVD.
>
> Is there any fix to this? It might be that this is just the way it is and
> an 80 minute MiniDV is just always too big. But if there's any way to fix
> this, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks so much.

kevinm

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah, I would have thought that, too. But if that option exists, I can't
find it anywhere on MY DVD. Seems like it should, though.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> I'm not sure what choices you have in mydvd, but I would have thought you'd
> have something like best quality, medium quality, lowest quality or 60 mins
> 120 mins 180 mins or something similar, I'd have though by choosing medium
> then it should fit on.
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> Laird of Glencairn
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "KevinM" <KevinM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I captured an 80 minute video I filmed with my Sony HC30 MiniDV camcorder.
> > I imported it to Movie Maker, made my titles, and then went to Sonic's
> MYDVD
> > to try and burn the DVD. But no matter what format I capture and save it
> in,
> > it still comes out 5.3 gig and is too big for a DVD.
> >
> > Is there any fix to this? It might be that this is just the way it is and
> > an 80 minute MiniDV is just always too big. But if there's any way to fix
> > this, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks so much.

I do not know the interface, so...

Chances are, it is set for CBR or Constant Bit Rate. Change to or find the
settings to change to VBR, Variable Bit Rate. Is should suggest a minimum
and you can usually leave the maximum at 8500. By using Variable Bit Rate,
the compression will change as required. 90 minutes of video with my
editing tools that convert the results to MPEG2 format will yield 5000-8500
usually (unless I use Dolby Digital, which allows higher rates because the
AC3 files are smaller than WAV files).

"KevinM" <KevinM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I captured an 80 minute video I filmed with my Sony HC30 MiniDV camcorder.
> I imported it to Movie Maker, made my titles, and then went to Sonic's
MYDVD
> to try and burn the DVD. But no matter what format I capture and save it
in,
> it still comes out 5.3 gig and is too big for a DVD.
>
> Is there any fix to this? It might be that this is just the way it is and
> an 80 minute MiniDV is just always too big. But if there's any way to fix
> this, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks so much.

TRENDING THREADS