sw for writing directly from mini dv tape to DVD

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi,
Does anyone know of any freeware sw available for transfering the contents
of a mini-dv tape to DVD? I know there are plenty of applications to make the
movies and edit the contents, but I want to be able to store the tape
contents to the DVD first, and so then I can more quickly pull up the
contents and edit what I want as needed. There must be some such freeware
software out there for doing such. Any info would be appreciated. thanks

peter

You are better off doing your editing on your hard drive.consider the speed of
your HD vs the speed of your DVD
consider the speed of writing to your HD vs. writing to your DVD.
and thats just for starters......there are other considerations..such as once
you have it burned and make a say 3second change does it have to rewrite the
whole movie or is it capable of just changing that 3seconds??
peter
"steve" <steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Does anyone know of any freeware sw available for transfering the contents
> of a mini-dv tape to DVD? I know there are plenty of applications to make the
> movies and edit the contents, but I want to be able to store the tape
> contents to the DVD first, and so then I can more quickly pull up the
> contents and edit what I want as needed. There must be some such freeware
> software out there for doing such. Any info would be appreciated. thanks

If you want to save the avi, tehn you can capture with the likes of movie
maker, free and tehn write it to dvd using nero/roxio, which are virtually
always bundled with a pc, or the dvd writing software which came with the
dvd writer.
Don't forget that dvd's only hold 4.38gb so you'll need 3 or 4 dvd's per 60
minute mini-dv tape.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
> You are better off doing your editing on your hard drive.consider the
speed of
> your HD vs the speed of your DVD
> consider the speed of writing to your HD vs. writing to your DVD.
> and thats just for starters......there are other considerations..such as
once
> you have it burned and make a say 3second change does it have to rewrite
the
> whole movie or is it capable of just changing that 3seconds??
> peter
> "steve" <steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Does anyone know of any freeware sw available for transfering the
contents
> > of a mini-dv tape to DVD? I know there are plenty of applications to
make the
> > movies and edit the contents, but I want to be able to store the tape
> > contents to the DVD first, and so then I can more quickly pull up the
> > contents and edit what I want as needed. There must be some such
freeware
> > software out there for doing such. Any info would be appreciated. thanks

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I have the pinnacle studio+ sw so I can capture to HD as I need to, but I was
looking at putting the contents on DVD as an AVI so I could quickly pull off
what I needed vs having to cycle thru the tape to find what I want. I was
considering purchasing the pinnacle version of InstantDVD which as I
understand it writes the tape contents directly to DVD. It was $30 but I was
just wondering if there was any similar freeware of shareware app if anyone
knew. Good pt about the size though. I guess that would be 4 dvds per 60
minute tape, and I guess I should be going to AVI and not MPeg2 if I plan to
edit the contents, so maybe I need to write to the HD first as an avi anyway.
~Steve

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> If you want to save the avi, tehn you can capture with the likes of movie
> maker, free and tehn write it to dvd using nero/roxio, which are virtually
> always bundled with a pc, or the dvd writing software which came with the
> dvd writer.
> Don't forget that dvd's only hold 4.38gb so you'll need 3 or 4 dvd's per 60
> minute mini-dv tape.
>
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> Laird of Glencairn
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
> > You are better off doing your editing on your hard drive.consider the
> speed of
> > your HD vs the speed of your DVD
> > consider the speed of writing to your HD vs. writing to your DVD.
> > and thats just for starters......there are other considerations..such as
> once
> > you have it burned and make a say 3second change does it have to rewrite
> the
> > whole movie or is it capable of just changing that 3seconds??
> > peter
> > "steve" <steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > Does anyone know of any freeware sw available for transfering the
> contents
> > > of a mini-dv tape to DVD? I know there are plenty of applications to
> make the
> > > movies and edit the contents, but I want to be able to store the tape
> > > contents to the DVD first, and so then I can more quickly pull up the
> > > contents and edit what I want as needed. There must be some such
> freeware
> > > software out there for doing such. Any info would be appreciated. thanks

nero/roxio again should do this for you if you have the up to date versions.
It's just writing a data disc.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media