I Still Can't Get Half Life 2 To Play Off Line

I've had this game from day one and still haven't played it I've registered
it on line set up my steam account did all the updates and I still can't get
it to play off line. I've sent tons of emails to Valve and Sierra and they
do not respond what am I doing wrong.

--
Hellin Flames
"I'm The Better Of Two Evils"

H. Flames wrote:
> I've had this game from day one and still haven't played it I've registered
> it on line set up my steam account did all the updates and I still can't get
> it to play off line. I've sent tons of emails to Valve and Sierra and they
> do not respond what am I doing wrong.

Ok please describe step by step
What are you doing
What do you see on screen
Etc

Probably some crazy thing missing
No worries we are a bunch of fellow players in this crazy group which
runs steam offline/online at our leasure
Let's take it from the top :)

rgds/Peter

Thank you Peter for responding to my post :)
Ok Here we go:
First I installed the game then went on line to register and have the files
updated when that's done I go off line and put disk one in and click on the
Half Life 2 icon a window opens saying "could not connect to the steam
network" in this window there's two buttons one says "Retry connection" and
the other says "Start in Offline Mode" so I click on the "Start in Offline
Mode" next a message comes up for about a half a second saying "connecting
to network" that goes away then I get a message saying "Game unavailable"
"This game is not ready to be played in off line mode" I just click on the
ok button and here we are.

Hellin Flames
"I Do Believe In Fairies I Do I Do"

Andrew wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:09:47 -0700, "H. Flames" <hellin69us@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >I get a message saying "Game unavailable"
> >"This game is not ready to be played in off line mode" I just click on the
> >ok button and here we are.
>
> You need to play the game once (if only briefly) while online, then
> quit it. Stop Steam, go offline, then you should be able to start
> Steam in offline mode.

Sounds like it hasn't finished updating properly. Try playing "online"
as Andrew suggests (ie. connect to the internet, start HL, allow Steam
to verify your account online and download any more updates it finds.
Just for safety, actually play the game for a couple of minutes, then
exit HL2 and Steam, disconnect from the internet and try again).

Andrew

wrote:

>Thank you Peter for responding to my post :)
>Ok Here we go:
>First I installed the game then went on line to register and have the files
>updated when that's done I go off line and put disk one in and click on the
>Half Life 2 icon a window opens saying "could not connect to the steam
>network" in this window there's two buttons one says "Retry connection" and
>the other says "Start in Offline Mode" so I click on the "Start in Offline
>Mode" next a message comes up for about a half a second saying "connecting
>to network" that goes away then I get a message saying "Game unavailable"
>"This game is not ready to be played in off line mode" I just click on the
>ok button and here we are.

You need to play the game once (if only briefly) while online, then
quit it. Stop Steam, go offline, then you should be able to start
Steam in offline mode.

I'll give that a try and let yea know how I make out thank you.
It's nice to find a Gamers newsgroup where there are some decent people to
talk to thank you.

--
Hellin Flames

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Andrew wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:09:47 -0700, "H. Flames" <hellin69us@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>> >I get a message saying "Game unavailable"
>> >"This game is not ready to be played in off line mode" I just click on
>> >the
>> >ok button and here we are.
>>
>> You need to play the game once (if only briefly) while online, then
>> quit it. Stop Steam, go offline, then you should be able to start
>> Steam in offline mode.
>
> Sounds like it hasn't finished updating properly. Try playing "online"
> as Andrew suggests (ie. connect to the internet, start HL, allow Steam
> to verify your account online and download any more updates it finds.
> Just for safety, actually play the game for a couple of minutes, then
> exit HL2 and Steam, disconnect from the internet and try again).

Well I got Half Life to play on line I made it to the train station where I
get pulled aside and put into a room where a friend of mine shuts off the
cameras and says something about a beer. At this point I saved the game then
exited out of the game and off line then tried to start Half Life 2 in off
line mode and I'm still getting the "Game not available not ready to be
played in off line mode" I understand the copy right thing and all the stuff
with registering and having the game files unlocked but what could the
problem be?

--

H. Flames wrote:

> Well I got Half Life to play on line I made it to the train station where I
> get pulled aside and put into a room where a friend of mine shuts off the
> cameras and says something about a beer. At this point I saved the game then
> exited out of the game and off line then tried to start Half Life 2 in off
> line mode and I'm still getting the "Game not available not ready to be
> played in off line mode" I understand the copy right thing and all the stuff
> with registering and having the game files unlocked but what could the
> problem be?

Start Steam
Go to Play Games
Locate Half-life 2 in the list
Right click and choose properties
Check
Status
Amount acquired
Offline mode

These figures has to be:

Amount acquired: 100%
Offline mode: ready

Maybe you have some other problems
But check these first

You can also rightclick the steam icon to the bottom right and choose
monitor to see if updating is active
Also check the icon - it'll have stripe in the upper part while
updating

As a last resort you can try validating the content files or delete
your clientregistry.blob
But let's take one thing at the time

rgds

I found something :-O
I'm on line,
I started Steam, right clicked on the steam icon and chose properties then
monitor
the Steam monitor opened I see under game Half Life 2 under status it says
complete under amount acquired it says 99% but when I click on Half Life 2
under game the "Half-Life 2-Steam window opens up that shows "Status" there
I see

Homepage: http://www.half-life2.com
Developer: Valve
Disk usage 838
Amount acquired: 99%
Offline Mode: Not ready

I think I need to finish this update how do I do that what do yea think?
and thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Hellin Flames

> H. Flames wrote:
>
>> Well I got Half Life to play on line I made it to the train station where
>> get pulled aside and put into a room where a friend of mine shuts off the
>> cameras and says something about a beer. At this point I saved the game
>> then
>> exited out of the game and off line then tried to start Half Life 2 in
>> off
>> line mode and I'm still getting the "Game not available not ready to be
>> played in off line mode" I understand the copy right thing and all the
>> stuff
>> with registering and having the game files unlocked but what could the
>> problem be?
>>
> Start Steam
> Go to Play Games
> Locate Half-life 2 in the list
> Right click and choose properties
> Check
> Status
> Amount acquired
> Offline mode
>
> These figures has to be:

> Amount acquired: 100%
> Offline mode: ready
>
> Maybe you have some other problems
> But check these first
>
> You can also rightclick the steam icon to the bottom right and choose
> monitor to see if updating is active
> Also check the icon - it'll have stripe in the upper part while
> updating
>
> As a last resort you can try validating the content files or delete
> your clientregistry.blob
> But let's take one thing at the time
>
> rgds

The update is 100% WOW thank you for the help I'm going to give this a try
and see if it worked :)

--
Hellin Flames

H. Flames wrote:
> The update is 100% WOW thank you for the help I'm going to give this a try
> and see if it worked :)

Excellent
Please keep us updated :)

rgds

I just went off line and gave it a try and everything worked fine :) I can
now play Half-Life 2 off line. thank you Peter thank you very much. I guess
it was that I had all the files for "one Line" play updated but some how
failed to completely update the files needed in order to allow me to play
off line. Believe me I've taken notes of all your suggestions and will pass
on to others in need the help you gave me.

Take Care.
Hellin Flames