AVI home movies on CD-R but playable in my cheap DVD playe..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2004 7:10:33 PM

Hello all,

I'm new about this topic :-)

We have been trying to figure out if we can convert our AVI
home-movies (from our digital camera) into a format playable for our
$80 Panasonic DVD player. Any ieas? I have been looking to buy a
software that allows me to do just that, but most software out there
say that you can "copy your DVD's into a CD-R" and WE ARE NOT
INTERESTED IN THAT. We just want to be able to save our memories in a
DVD from our AVI clips. Any idea?
April 19, 2004 4:20:19 PM

ginopalomo@yahoo.com (Eugenio) wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm new about this topic :-)
>
>We have been trying to figure out if we can convert our AVI
>home-movies (from our digital camera) into a format playable for our
>$80 Panasonic DVD player. Any ieas? I have been looking to buy a
>software that allows me to do just that, but most software out there
>say that you can "copy your DVD's into a CD-R" and WE ARE NOT
>INTERESTED IN THAT. We just want to be able to save our memories in a
>DVD from our AVI clips. Any idea?

Try using "Ulead DVD MovieFactory". You can download a free trail of
this program from www.ulead.com

Regards Brian
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 5:48:27 PM

> The only thing you can put on a CD-R is something called VCD(Video CD)
> or SVCD (Super Video CD). However, you must check the manual of your

incorrect. If you have the LiteOn series of DVD players (excellent!)
that can playback DVD/VCD/SVCD/DIVX/XVID/MP3/CD/JPEG CD discs, then you
have the option of encoding the video files using DIVX or XVID AVI
files, putting them onto a CD-R and playing them on both PC and DVD
player w/o any problems at all.

cheap and good buy at ~$100-150 today. well worth the money if you
want something that'll play just about everything popular....

---

As for getting VCD/SVCD - TMPGENC will do it, so will Roxio Easy CD
Creator, Ahead Nero, and a whole slew of free and pay programs.

www.dvdrhelp.com
April 19, 2004 6:03:28 PM

Eugenio wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm new about this topic :-)
>
> We have been trying to figure out if we can convert our AVI
> home-movies (from our digital camera) into a format playable for our
> $80 Panasonic DVD player. Any ieas? I have been looking to buy a
> software that allows me to do just that, but most software out there
> say that you can "copy your DVD's into a CD-R" and WE ARE NOT
> INTERESTED IN THAT. We just want to be able to save our memories in a
> DVD from our AVI clips. Any idea?

mpeg1 use TMPGENC
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 3:41:37 AM

On 19 Apr 2004 13:00:23 -0700, igarber@optonline.net (Igor) wrote:

>The only thing you can put on a CD-R is something called VCD(Video CD)
>or SVCD (Super Video CD).

One can also author a Dvd on CD, and then you call it mini-DVD, but it
doesn't play on every player.

Another possibility is getting a DVD player that supports playing
DivX, and then one can burn mpeg-4 AVIs in CD. These can show a more
than acceptable quality at the low bitrates used for a CD.
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 3:41:38 AM

Bariloche wrote:

> On 19 Apr 2004 13:00:23 -0700, igarber@optonline.net (Igor) wrote:
>
> >The only thing you can put on a CD-R is something called VCD(Video CD)
> >or SVCD (Super Video CD).
>
> One can also author a Dvd on CD, and then you call it mini-DVD, but it
> doesn't play on every player.
>
> Another possibility is getting a DVD player that supports playing
> DivX, and then one can burn mpeg-4 AVIs in CD. These can show a more
> than acceptable quality at the low bitrates used for a CD.

In a few months Hauppauge should have DivX support for the MediaMVP, that'd
be cheaper than a new DVD player (rumor has it that it's going to be
transcoding on the fly rather than native support).

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support_faq_mediamvp.htm...
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 12:46:32 PM

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:10:24 -0700, Keith Clark
<clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In a few months Hauppauge should have DivX support for the MediaMVP

There's already the Sigma XCard that does that.

>that'd be cheaper than a new DVD player

Slightly cheaper, yes, but a DVD player has ergonomical advantages
against a PC for media playing. Being silent, to begin with. If
following the PC route, the XBox is an alternative. It can play games,
and it can play video, as it is a PC under the hood.

IMO, what would become the greatest hit is not an mpeg-4 decoder, but
a cheap mpeg-4 encoder.
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 4:42:23 PM

Bariloche wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:10:24 -0700, Keith Clark
> <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >In a few months Hauppauge should have DivX support for the MediaMVP
>
> There's already the Sigma XCard that does that.
>
> >that'd be cheaper than a new DVD player
>
> Slightly cheaper, yes, but a DVD player has ergonomical advantages
> against a PC for media playing. Being silent, to begin with. If
> following the PC route, the XBox is an alternative. It can play games,
> and it can play video, as it is a PC under the hood.
>
> IMO, what would become the greatest hit is not an mpeg-4 decoder, but
> a cheap mpeg-4 encoder.

Cheap mpeg-4 encoder? Isn't FREE cheap enough? Use VirtualDub and the Xvid
codec. That's what I do a lot of the time. Or use Linux. That's what I do
the rest of the time.

But you don't understand what I was saying.

With a MediaMVP, the noisy PC stays in the other room. The MVP streams the
video over your network (wireless "G" works fine).

I'd avoid the X-Box route. #1, nobody wants to sit in the living room and
watch somebody else play games. If you have kids, keep an X-Box out of the
living room if you ever plan to be in there. #2, not only won't the one we
have play any AVI files, it won't play anything except commercial DVD's -
it won't play copies I make on any media, nor will it play ones I author
myself on any media.

So then, that only leaves toe Gateway Connected DVD Player, or the Kiss
unit. The Kiss is the cheaper of the two at around $250. Add another
hundred bucks for the Kiss unit.

So why bother if he already has a DVD player?

It makes a lot more sense if money is a factor to simply buy a dedicated
streaming media adapter (or build a silent PC if money isn't a factor).

At least that's how I see it...

Or maybe wait and see if Lite-On can fix the mechanical issues in their
set-top players. The LVD-2002 played mpeg-4 flawlessly, but mechanically
the unit is so bad that nobody would want one in their entertainment
center, which is why they took it off the market after only 3 months (I
returned two of them for refunds).

~Keith
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 7:02:02 PM

> following the PC route, the XBox is an alternative. It can play games,

what games ?!? <grin> ,)= PS2 forever!

Xbox is a route good only for those that have the patience, time, and
know how to drop in a mod-chip, download the various
OS/patches/utilities/apps to get multimedia player capabilites, and to
'unlock' the device, etc.. Certainly not a plug&play device for most
users who desire a DVD player that can play the most popular formats
easily...

some sites that give you instructions:
http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/
http://www.xbox-scene.com/
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/

have fun!

(and yes, far easier to even build & install Windows on a tiny
Shuttle XPC multi-media PC lunchbox instead....(another good PC + games
+ videos in a small box you can put next to the TV option))
April 21, 2004 10:29:31 AM

> If you have the LiteOn series of DVD players ...

And if you don't?
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 2:31:56 PM

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:42:23 GMT, Keith Clark
<clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Cheap mpeg-4 encoder? Isn't FREE cheap enough? Use VirtualDub and the Xvid
>codec. That's what I do a lot of the time. Or use Linux. That's what I do
>the rest of the time.

XVid, I won't use it. I've tried, and tried, and tried, and always
stumbled. May be one day there are no more RC versions, but a good
one, and easily configurable too. I would not like to use DivX
networks codec, but so far it's the only one that has worked allright
for me. And I've tried Dicas mpegable AVI, 3ivx, and God knows what,
but all of them were not up to DivX in one way or other. Not implying
DivX gives good quality, but only so-so.

As an easy route from tape to Dvd, I've tried capturing directly to
DivX, but it doesn't give good results either. Somehow it doesn't give
the same results as a post-capture encoding.

As for Linux, I really want to try it. It's only its c-ish tone that
scares me. I'm not afraid of the command line. In fact, I use it a
lot. And I can program a GUI as needed. But I cannot bear the C syntax
(I'm a Pascal or even assembly programmer, but never C). And the
Unix/Linux world is the epitome of C-ism in many a way.

You go to the webpage of a software, and the more you read the less
you know what the software is intended for? Easy: it's C-ist. All sort
of switches, and nobody tells you what they are meant for.

>But you don't understand what I was saying.
>
>With a MediaMVP, the noisy PC stays in the other room. The MVP streams the
>video over your network (wireless "G" works fine).

Hmmm... Interesting. I now see the difference with the XCard (that MVP
is an external device) can be really important. Thank you for the
information; I'm going to better study this possibility.

>I'd avoid the X-Box route. #1, nobody wants to sit in the living room and
>watch somebody else play games. If you have kids, keep an X-Box out of the
>living room if you ever plan to be in there.

Allright.

>#2, not only won't the one we
>have play any AVI files, it won't play anything except commercial DVD's -
>it won't play copies I make on any media, nor will it play ones I author
>myself on any media.

They can be made to play anything, with the help of a chip, software.
That certainly makes it even more costly. But the good thing is if you
have a .mov, you don't need to convert it. I have some material I
would not like to lose, but I would not take the pains to convert
either. With a computer, you ready for any new formats.

>It makes a lot more sense if money is a factor to simply buy a dedicated
>streaming media adapter (or build a silent PC if money isn't a factor).

How does one build a silent PC? Noise and size are the main things for
a multimedia PC player.
!