AVI home movies on CD-R but playable in my cheap DVD playe..

Hello all,

I'm new about this topic :-)

We have been trying to figure out if we can convert our AVI
home-movies (from our digital camera) into a format playable for our
$80 Panasonic DVD player. Any ieas? I have been looking to buy a
software that allows me to do just that, but most software out there
say that you can "copy your DVD's into a CD-R" and WE ARE NOT
INTERESTED IN THAT. We just want to be able to save our memories in a
DVD from our AVI clips. Any idea?
10 answers Last reply
More about home movies playable cheap playe

    ginopalomo@yahoo.com (Eugenio) wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I'm new about this topic :-)
    >
    >We have been trying to figure out if we can convert our AVI
    >home-movies (from our digital camera) into a format playable for our
    >$80 Panasonic DVD player. Any ieas? I have been looking to buy a
    >software that allows me to do just that, but most software out there
    >say that you can "copy your DVD's into a CD-R" and WE ARE NOT
    >INTERESTED IN THAT. We just want to be able to save our memories in a
    >DVD from our AVI clips. Any idea?

    Try using "Ulead DVD MovieFactory". You can download a free trail of
    this program from www.ulead.com

    Regards Brian

    > The only thing you can put on a CD-R is something called VCD(Video CD)
    > or SVCD (Super Video CD). However, you must check the manual of your

    incorrect. If you have the LiteOn series of DVD players (excellent!)
    that can playback DVD/VCD/SVCD/DIVX/XVID/MP3/CD/JPEG CD discs, then you
    have the option of encoding the video files using DIVX or XVID AVI
    files, putting them onto a CD-R and playing them on both PC and DVD
    player w/o any problems at all.

    cheap and good buy at ~$100-150 today. well worth the money if you
    want something that'll play just about everything popular....

    ---

    As for getting VCD/SVCD - TMPGENC will do it, so will Roxio Easy CD
    Creator, Ahead Nero, and a whole slew of free and pay programs.

    www.dvdrhelp.com

    Eugenio wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm new about this topic :-)
    >
    > We have been trying to figure out if we can convert our AVI
    > home-movies (from our digital camera) into a format playable for our
    > $80 Panasonic DVD player. Any ieas? I have been looking to buy a
    > software that allows me to do just that, but most software out there
    > say that you can "copy your DVD's into a CD-R" and WE ARE NOT
    > INTERESTED IN THAT. We just want to be able to save our memories in a
    > DVD from our AVI clips. Any idea?

    mpeg1 use TMPGENC

    On 19 Apr 2004 13:00:23 -0700, igarber@optonline.net (Igor) wrote:

    >The only thing you can put on a CD-R is something called VCD(Video CD)
    >or SVCD (Super Video CD).

    One can also author a Dvd on CD, and then you call it mini-DVD, but it
    doesn't play on every player.

    Another possibility is getting a DVD player that supports playing
    DivX, and then one can burn mpeg-4 AVIs in CD. These can show a more
    than acceptable quality at the low bitrates used for a CD.

    Bariloche wrote:

    > On 19 Apr 2004 13:00:23 -0700, igarber@optonline.net (Igor) wrote:
    >
    > >The only thing you can put on a CD-R is something called VCD(Video CD)
    > >or SVCD (Super Video CD).
    >
    > One can also author a Dvd on CD, and then you call it mini-DVD, but it
    > doesn't play on every player.
    >
    > Another possibility is getting a DVD player that supports playing
    > DivX, and then one can burn mpeg-4 AVIs in CD. These can show a more
    > than acceptable quality at the low bitrates used for a CD.

    In a few months Hauppauge should have DivX support for the MediaMVP, that'd
    be cheaper than a new DVD player (rumor has it that it's going to be
    transcoding on the fly rather than native support).

    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support_faq_mediamvp.html

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:10:24 -0700, Keith Clark
    <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >In a few months Hauppauge should have DivX support for the MediaMVP

    There's already the Sigma XCard that does that.

    >that'd be cheaper than a new DVD player

    Slightly cheaper, yes, but a DVD player has ergonomical advantages
    against a PC for media playing. Being silent, to begin with. If
    following the PC route, the XBox is an alternative. It can play games,
    and it can play video, as it is a PC under the hood.

    IMO, what would become the greatest hit is not an mpeg-4 decoder, but
    a cheap mpeg-4 encoder.

    Bariloche wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:10:24 -0700, Keith Clark
    > <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In a few months Hauppauge should have DivX support for the MediaMVP
    >
    > There's already the Sigma XCard that does that.
    >
    > >that'd be cheaper than a new DVD player
    >
    > Slightly cheaper, yes, but a DVD player has ergonomical advantages
    > against a PC for media playing. Being silent, to begin with. If
    > following the PC route, the XBox is an alternative. It can play games,
    > and it can play video, as it is a PC under the hood.
    >
    > IMO, what would become the greatest hit is not an mpeg-4 decoder, but
    > a cheap mpeg-4 encoder.

    Cheap mpeg-4 encoder? Isn't FREE cheap enough? Use VirtualDub and the Xvid
    codec. That's what I do a lot of the time. Or use Linux. That's what I do
    the rest of the time.

    But you don't understand what I was saying.

    With a MediaMVP, the noisy PC stays in the other room. The MVP streams the
    video over your network (wireless "G" works fine).

    I'd avoid the X-Box route. #1, nobody wants to sit in the living room and
    watch somebody else play games. If you have kids, keep an X-Box out of the
    living room if you ever plan to be in there. #2, not only won't the one we
    have play any AVI files, it won't play anything except commercial DVD's -
    it won't play copies I make on any media, nor will it play ones I author
    myself on any media.

    So then, that only leaves toe Gateway Connected DVD Player, or the Kiss
    unit. The Kiss is the cheaper of the two at around $250. Add another
    hundred bucks for the Kiss unit.

    So why bother if he already has a DVD player?

    It makes a lot more sense if money is a factor to simply buy a dedicated
    streaming media adapter (or build a silent PC if money isn't a factor).

    At least that's how I see it...

    Or maybe wait and see if Lite-On can fix the mechanical issues in their
    set-top players. The LVD-2002 played mpeg-4 flawlessly, but mechanically
    the unit is so bad that nobody would want one in their entertainment
    center, which is why they took it off the market after only 3 months (I
    returned two of them for refunds).

    ~Keith

    > following the PC route, the XBox is an alternative. It can play games,

    what games ?!? <grin> ,)= PS2 forever!

    Xbox is a route good only for those that have the patience, time, and
    know how to drop in a mod-chip, download the various
    OS/patches/utilities/apps to get multimedia player capabilites, and to
    'unlock' the device, etc.. Certainly not a plug&play device for most
    users who desire a DVD player that can play the most popular formats
    easily...

    some sites that give you instructions:
    http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/
    http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/

    have fun!

    (and yes, far easier to even build & install Windows on a tiny
    Shuttle XPC multi-media PC lunchbox instead....(another good PC + games
    + videos in a small box you can put next to the TV option))

    > If you have the LiteOn series of DVD players ...

    And if you don't?

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:42:23 GMT, Keith Clark
    <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Cheap mpeg-4 encoder? Isn't FREE cheap enough? Use VirtualDub and the Xvid
    >codec. That's what I do a lot of the time. Or use Linux. That's what I do
    >the rest of the time.

    XVid, I won't use it. I've tried, and tried, and tried, and always
    stumbled. May be one day there are no more RC versions, but a good
    one, and easily configurable too. I would not like to use DivX
    networks codec, but so far it's the only one that has worked allright
    for me. And I've tried Dicas mpegable AVI, 3ivx, and God knows what,
    but all of them were not up to DivX in one way or other. Not implying
    DivX gives good quality, but only so-so.

    As an easy route from tape to Dvd, I've tried capturing directly to
    DivX, but it doesn't give good results either. Somehow it doesn't give
    the same results as a post-capture encoding.

    As for Linux, I really want to try it. It's only its c-ish tone that
    scares me. I'm not afraid of the command line. In fact, I use it a
    lot. And I can program a GUI as needed. But I cannot bear the C syntax
    (I'm a Pascal or even assembly programmer, but never C). And the
    Unix/Linux world is the epitome of C-ism in many a way.

    You go to the webpage of a software, and the more you read the less
    you know what the software is intended for? Easy: it's C-ist. All sort
    of switches, and nobody tells you what they are meant for.

    >But you don't understand what I was saying.
    >
    >With a MediaMVP, the noisy PC stays in the other room. The MVP streams the
    >video over your network (wireless "G" works fine).

    Hmmm... Interesting. I now see the difference with the XCard (that MVP
    is an external device) can be really important. Thank you for the
    information; I'm going to better study this possibility.

    >I'd avoid the X-Box route. #1, nobody wants to sit in the living room and
    >watch somebody else play games. If you have kids, keep an X-Box out of the
    >living room if you ever plan to be in there.

    Allright.

    >#2, not only won't the one we
    >have play any AVI files, it won't play anything except commercial DVD's -
    >it won't play copies I make on any media, nor will it play ones I author
    >myself on any media.

    They can be made to play anything, with the help of a chip, software.
    That certainly makes it even more costly. But the good thing is if you
    have a .mov, you don't need to convert it. I have some material I
    would not like to lose, but I would not take the pains to convert
    either. With a computer, you ready for any new formats.

    >It makes a lot more sense if money is a factor to simply buy a dedicated
    >streaming media adapter (or build a silent PC if money isn't a factor).

    How does one build a silent PC? Noise and size are the main things for
    a multimedia PC player.

Tuner Cards DVD Movies Graphics