Half-life 2 & Deus Ex the best!

Last response: in Video Games
June 16, 2005 1:21:21 AM

Two of the best first-person action PC games of all time are half-life 2 and
deus ex. I do hope they make the game into a movie. Shame about the film
flop resident evil. A consulation though -Milla has a red hot body. I've
heard doom movie will be out this summer-staring the "rock" - has it been
confirmed.

More about : half life deus

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:21:22 AM

"maximus22" <frazzle@swampy.com> wrote in message
news:D 8q2k6$83b$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Two of the best first-person action PC games of all time are half-life 2
> and
> deus ex. I do hope they make the game into a movie. Shame about the film
> flop resident evil. A consulation though -Milla has a red hot body. I've
> heard doom movie will be out this summer-staring the "rock" - has it been
> confirmed.

WTF ? It's true !

http://imdb.com/title/tt0419706/
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:12:24 AM

HeHe... Dr. Carmack......

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:18:28 GMT, "JLT2005" <no@thanks.com> wrote:

>"maximus22" <frazzle@swampy.com> wrote in message
>news:D 8q2k6$83b$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> Two of the best first-person action PC games of all time are half-life 2
>> and
>> deus ex. I do hope they make the game into a movie. Shame about the film
>> flop resident evil. A consulation though -Milla has a red hot body. I've
>> heard doom movie will be out this summer-staring the "rock" - has it been
>> confirmed.
>>

>WTF ? It's true !
>
>http://imdb.com/title/tt0419706/

If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an
infinite number of pickup trucks fire an infinite
number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of
highway signs, they will eventually produce all
the world's great literary works in Braille.
June 16, 2005 2:18:25 AM

"maximus22" <frazzle@swampy.com> wrote in message
news:D 8q2k6$83b$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk
> Two of the best first-person action PC games of all time are
> half-life 2 and deus ex. I do hope they make the game into a movie.
> Shame about the film flop resident evil. A consulation though -Milla
> has a red hot body. I've heard doom movie will be out this
> summer-staring the "rock" - has it been confirmed.

Hey, I happen to like BOTH the RE movies!
McG.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:18:26 AM

> "maximus22" <frazzle@swampy.com> wrote in message
> news:D 8q2k6$83b$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk
>> Two of the best first-person action PC games of all time are
>> half-life 2 and deus ex. I do hope they make the game into a movie.
>> Shame about the film flop resident evil. A consulation though -Milla
>> has a red hot body. I've heard doom movie will be out this
>> summer-staring the "rock" - has it been confirmed.
>
> Hey, I happen to like BOTH the RE movies!
> McG.

Milla can just stand still and I'll watch!

BTW, as good as HL 2 was, it can not hold a candle to Deus Ex, which will
take some doing to get dislodged from the TOP of my all time favorite game
list.

Bob
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:33:13 AM

>> "maximus22" <frazzle@swampy.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 8q2k6$83b$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk
>>> Two of the best first-person action PC games of all time are
>>> half-life 2 and deus ex. I do hope they make the game into a movie.
>>> Shame about the film flop resident evil. A consulation though -Milla
>>> has a red hot body. I've heard doom movie will be out this
>>> summer-staring the "rock" - has it been confirmed.
>>
>> Hey, I happen to like BOTH the RE movies!
>> McG.
>>

> Milla can just stand still and I'll watch!
>
> BTW, as good as HL 2 was, it can not hold a candle to Deus Ex, which will
> take some doing to get dislodged from the TOP of my all time favorite game
> list.
>

> Bob

Ahhhhhhhh

Milla

I even liked Fifth Element due to her and the sound track.

Mox
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:41:09 AM

She's hot but she sure is a skinny wench.... Needs some steak,
'taters and a banana split........

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:11:33 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net>
wrote:

>"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "maximus22" <frazzle@swampy.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 8q2k6$83b$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk
>>> Two of the best first-person action PC games of all time are
>>> half-life 2 and deus ex. I do hope they make the game into a movie.
>>> Shame about the film flop resident evil. A consulation though -Milla
>>> has a red hot body. I've heard doom movie will be out this
>>> summer-staring the "rock" - has it been confirmed.
>>
>> Hey, I happen to like BOTH the RE movies!
>> McG.
>>

>Milla can just stand still and I'll watch!
>
>BTW, as good as HL 2 was, it can not hold a candle to Deus Ex, which will
>take some doing to get dislodged from the TOP of my all time favorite game
>list.
>

>Bob

If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an
infinite number of pickup trucks fire an infinite
number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of
highway signs, they will eventually produce all
the world's great literary works in Braille.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:07:34 PM

"Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> She's hot but she sure is a skinny wench.... Needs some steak,
> 'taters and a banana split........

No kidding, I would definately wet her down, but then again, I have a date
with a kleenex tonite. I like a little more meat than that.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:12:39 AM

"rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
>> "maximus22" <frazzle@swampy.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 8q2k6$83b$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk
>>> Two of the best first-person action PC games of all time are
>>> half-life 2 and deus ex. I do hope they make the game into a movie.
>>> Shame about the film flop resident evil. A consulation though -Milla
>>> has a red hot body. I've heard doom movie will be out this
>>> summer-staring the "rock" - has it been confirmed.
>>
>> Hey, I happen to like BOTH the RE movies!
>> McG.
>>

> Milla can just stand still and I'll watch!
>
> BTW, as good as HL 2 was, it can not hold a candle to Deus Ex, which
> will take some doing to get dislodged from the TOP of my all time
> favorite game list.
>

> Bob

I'm glad you (and a lot of others) liked it. Somehow, I just cannot get
"into" it. A guy *gave* me the game, so for his thoughtfulness, I will
surely see all I can in it. HL2 is a game I could get into, and Doom3.
The Tombraider games, HL1. All easy for me to just get lost in :)
Morrowind. I can't for the life of me explain why I cannot get
interested in CS or DE. That alone is enough to play it and see why.
McG.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:13:43 AM

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote
> A guy *gave* me the game, so for his thoughtfulness, I will
> surely see all I can in it.

Shh, SayNo might hear you!
--
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

"Mox 13" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "maximus22" <frazzle@swampy.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D 8q2k6$83b$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk
>>>
>>> Hey, I happen to like BOTH the RE movies!
>>> McG.
>>>

>> Milla can just stand still and I'll watch!
>>
>> BTW, as good as HL 2 was, it can not hold a candle to Deus Ex, which
>> will take some doing to get dislodged from the TOP of my all time
>> favorite game list.
>>

>> Bob
>
> Ahhhhhhhh
>
> Milla
>
> I even liked Fifth Element due to her and the sound track.
>
> Mox

Yep, 5E is great. I just got the Ultimate Edition, and really enjoyed
all her screen tests :)  Pretty cool chick :)
McG.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:14:58 AM

"Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> She's hot but she sure is a skinny wench.... Needs some steak,
> 'taters and a banana split........

Yep. By the time she's done Apocalypse she'd put a little more meat on.
Muscle. Damn fine looking muscle too!
McG.

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:11:33 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net>
> wrote:
>

>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "maximus22" <frazzle@swampy.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D 8q2k6$83b$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk
>>>
>>> Hey, I happen to like BOTH the RE movies!
>>> McG.
>>>

>> Milla can just stand still and I'll watch!
>>
>> BTW, as good as HL 2 was, it can not hold a candle to Deus Ex, which
>> will take some doing to get dislodged from the TOP of my all time
>> favorite game list.
>>

>> Bob
>>

> If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an
> infinite number of pickup trucks fire an infinite
> number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of
> highway signs, they will eventually produce all
> the world's great literary works in Braille.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:00:09 AM

"David Firewater" <nospam@home.com> wrote in message
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote
>> A guy *gave* me the game, so for his thoughtfulness, I will
>> surely see all I can in it.
>
> Shh, SayNo might hear you!

DOHp!!! [slaps hands over mouth!]
McG.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:42:57 PM

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> She's hot but she sure is a skinny wench.... Needs some steak,
> 'taters and a banana split........

Damn right! What type of banana split had you in mind, presumably one
with lots of cream :p

Civilian_Target
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:01:34 AM

> "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "maximus22" <frazzle@swampy.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D 8q2k6$83b$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk
>>>
>>> Hey, I happen to like BOTH the RE movies!
>>> McG.
>>>

>> Milla can just stand still and I'll watch!
>>
>> BTW, as good as HL 2 was, it can not hold a candle to Deus Ex, which
>> will take some doing to get dislodged from the TOP of my all time
>> favorite game list.
>>

>> Bob
>
> I'm glad you (and a lot of others) liked it. Somehow, I just cannot get
> "into" it. A guy *gave* me the game, so for his thoughtfulness, I will
> surely see all I can in it. HL2 is a game I could get into, and Doom3.
> The Tombraider games, HL1. All easy for me to just get lost in :)
> Morrowind. I can't for the life of me explain why I cannot get
> interested in CS or DE. That alone is enough to play it and see why.
> McG.

McG, I loved all the games you got into, and I hated all the games you
could not. We may part ways on Deus Ex, but if you can get into stealth
play, this one has a story that should hook you. Going in guns blazing is a
sure death sentance, at least before you up your skills. Ouch! Did I say
skills!!!! Before Deus Ex you couldn't get me within 100 feet of an RPG.
I'm an FPS guy, born and bred on Doom. But for some reason, Deus Ex got me
right from the start. You just have to learn to enjoy crouching.

I started the demo for the first time knowing absolutely nothing about
the game, and gave up after dying a couple of times, thinking "this game is
too tough". I came back to it a few weeks later, and played thru before I
even understood the mechanics of gameplay. Not realizing I could search the
bodies of dead enemies for stuff, I was constantly mumering to myself,
"Where did they hide the damn ammo?". But after I got the hang of it, I
could not stay away. The game ruled my life for several months.

From the moment you begin, standing on the docks of Liberty Island,
looking up at the headless Statue of Liberty, you know you have entered a
game world that is truely unique. Before you even take your first step, as
you stand there looking at the lights of the New York skyline in the
distance, listening to the sounds of the police boat motor behind you, the
waves lapping at the docks, the seaguls, and the subtle forboding background
music, and watch the guard patrolling as the clouds move overhead, you get
the feeling that you part of something bigger than a mere game. Even now,
after having playing the game through 3 or 4 times over the last few years ,
I still get that feeling when I start it up.

It didn't hit me the first time I tried it, but when it did, it was lile
crack cocaine. Wish you could expereince it as I did.

Bob
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 7:46:49 AM

>> "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Milla can just stand still and I'll watch!
>>>
>>> BTW, as good as HL 2 was, it can not hold a candle to Deus Ex, which
>>> will take some doing to get dislodged from the TOP of my all time
>>> favorite game list.
>>>

>>> Bob
>>
>> I'm glad you (and a lot of others) liked it. Somehow, I just cannot get
>> "into" it. A guy *gave* me the game, so for his thoughtfulness, I will
>> surely see all I can in it. HL2 is a game I could get into, and Doom3.
>> The Tombraider games, HL1. All easy for me to just get lost in :)
>> Morrowind. I can't for the life of me explain why I cannot get
>> interested in CS or DE. That alone is enough to play it and see why.
>> McG.
>>

> McG, I loved all the games you got into, and I hated all the games you
> could not. We may part ways on Deus Ex, but if you can get into stealth
> play, this one has a story that should hook you. Going in guns blazing is
> a sure death sentance, at least before you up your skills. Ouch! Did I
> say skills!!!! Before Deus Ex you couldn't get me within 100 feet of an
> RPG. I'm an FPS guy, born and bred on Doom. But for some reason, Deus Ex
> got me right from the start. You just have to learn to enjoy crouching.
>
> I started the demo for the first time knowing absolutely nothing about
> the game, and gave up after dying a couple of times, thinking "this game
> is too tough". I came back to it a few weeks later, and played thru
> before I even understood the mechanics of gameplay. Not realizing I could
> search the bodies of dead enemies for stuff, I was constantly mumering to
> myself, "Where did they hide the damn ammo?". But after I got the hang of
> it, I could not stay away. The game ruled my life for several months.
>
> From the moment you begin, standing on the docks of Liberty Island,
> looking up at the headless Statue of Liberty, you know you have entered a
> game world that is truely unique. Before you even take your first step,
> as you stand there looking at the lights of the New York skyline in the
> distance, listening to the sounds of the police boat motor behind you, the
> waves lapping at the docks, the seaguls, and the subtle forboding
> background music, and watch the guard patrolling as the clouds move
> overhead, you get the feeling that you part of something bigger than a
> mere game. Even now, after having playing the game through 3 or 4 times
> over the last few years , I still get that feeling when I start it up.
>
> It didn't hit me the first time I tried it, but when it did, it was
> lile crack cocaine. Wish you could expereince it as I did.
>

> Bob

Had a friend rave about it. Tried the demo. Didn't like it. Then decided to
also took over my life. I learned to slow down, ponder the next move, and
use my brain. I would trigger a fight and get enemies to chase me to
patrolling bots. I later became a supreme sniper with pretty good hacking
skills. Fell in love with the tranq darts and the Dragon Tooth sword.

MINOR SPOILER FOLLOW!

Also was immersed in the story, mystery, mood, and look of the game. It had
little touches that set it apart. Small moment you could miss if you
hurried. Who can forget Gunther Hermann, mourning for Anna Navarre and
vowing vengence? Gunther, alone in his silent wait for J.C. Denton,
overheard crying by the guards.

Or, trying to keep Paul Denton alive. Or, how to save your pilot. Or
ruthlessly managing your inventory to have a scrambler grenade or two when
you hit Paris and encountered those huge bots.

It was actually literate, like being in a sci-fi movie. The three ending
also grabbed me.

Would love to see it on a modern graphics engine. Same game, same gameplay,
just with today's modern game engines. Imagine it with the lighting and
detail of the Doom III engine, or the facial detail of the Half-Life II
engine. Heck, try the massive draw distances of the Cryengine from Far Cry.
That would be some serious sniping!

Heck, I would like to see the original System Shock get updated to a new
engine. I tried to play it a few months ago on a DOS system I cobbled
together and just couldn't get past the clinky controls and graphics.

I wonder if gaming companies may start to realize that there is money to be
made just updating existing classic games.

I would also love to see Quake and Quake II updated to the Doom III engine
just to see them all pretty. I heard id software is actually considering
adapting Quake II to the latest engine. Cool!

Closest thing I came to the "feel" of Deus Ex later was Star Wars: Knights
of the Old Republic.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:31:48 AM

"rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
>> "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Milla can just stand still and I'll watch!
>>>
>>> BTW, as good as HL 2 was, it can not hold a candle to Deus Ex, which
>>> will take some doing to get dislodged from the TOP of my all time
>>> favorite game list.
>>>

>>> Bob
>>
>> I'm glad you (and a lot of others) liked it. Somehow, I just cannot
>> get "into" it. A guy *gave* me the game, so for his thoughtfulness,
>> I will surely see all I can in it. HL2 is a game I could get into,
>> and Doom3. The Tombraider games, HL1. All easy for me to just get
>> lost in :)  Morrowind. I can't for the life of me explain why I
>> cannot get interested in CS or DE. That alone is enough to play it
>> and see why. McG.
>>

> McG, I loved all the games you got into, and I hated all the games
> you could not. We may part ways on Deus Ex, but if you can get into
> stealth play, this one has a story that should hook you. Going in
> guns blazing is a sure death sentance, at least before you up your
> skills. Ouch! Did I say skills!!!! Before Deus Ex you couldn't get
> me within 100 feet of an RPG. I'm an FPS guy, born and bred on Doom.
> But for some reason, Deus Ex got me right from the start. You just
> have to learn to enjoy crouching.
> I started the demo for the first time knowing absolutely nothing
> about the game, and gave up after dying a couple of times, thinking
> "this game is too tough". I came back to it a few weeks later, and
> played thru before I even understood the mechanics of gameplay. Not
> realizing I could search the bodies of dead enemies for stuff, I was
> constantly mumering to myself, "Where did they hide the damn ammo?".
> But after I got the hang of it, I could not stay away. The game
> ruled my life for several months.
> From the moment you begin, standing on the docks of Liberty Island,
> looking up at the headless Statue of Liberty, you know you have
> entered a game world that is truely unique. Before you even take
> your first step, as you stand there looking at the lights of the New
> York skyline in the distance, listening to the sounds of the police
> boat motor behind you, the waves lapping at the docks, the seaguls,
> and the subtle forboding background music, and watch the guard
> patrolling as the clouds move overhead, you get the feeling that you
> part of something bigger than a mere game. Even now, after having
> playing the game through 3 or 4 times over the last few years , I
> still get that feeling when I start it up.
> It didn't hit me the first time I tried it, but when it did, it
> was lile crack cocaine. Wish you could expereince it as I did.
>

> Bob

I am playing it, but for me, I think I like shooting too much. I won't
say I hate stealth, but I hate having to give up everything else for it.
I'll keep at it.
McG.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:42:58 AM

"James A. Cooley" <jacooley@centralpets.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> lighting and detail of the Doom III engine, or the facial detail of
> the Half-Life II engine. Heck, try the massive draw distances of the
> Cryengine from Far Cry. That would be some serious sniping!
>
> Heck, I would like to see the original System Shock get updated to a
> new engine. I tried to play it a few months ago on a DOS system I
> cobbled together and just couldn't get past the clinky controls and
> graphics.
> I wonder if gaming companies may start to realize that there is money
> to be made just updating existing classic games.
>
> I would also love to see Quake and Quake II updated to the Doom III
> engine just to see them all pretty. I heard id software is actually
> considering adapting Quake II to the latest engine. Cool!
>
> Closest thing I came to the "feel" of Deus Ex later was Star Wars:

You bring to mind another discussion I've seen elsewhere. Movies.
Remakes that is. Ones that are turning out to be very enjoyable indeed.
The Batman franchise just went topsy turvey with the release of Batman
Begins. I found it an excellent movie, enjoyed the entire film very
much. This is good cinema. War of the Worlds is coming out here in 9
more days. I'll be sure to see it! I consider I, Robot a 'remake' as
one of the stories was made to film years ago. But this one was damn
good. There are others on the way. Thing is, lots of us middle age
types lived through what was good cinema 40 years ago. And we find
ourselves waxing nostalgic about some of these oldies. So now we get to
see some of them as we want to see them. Including lots of comics made
to film. By middle aged producers and directors who also want to see
some of the best made even better.
I feel that lots of the older games would be *really* great if remade to
modern engines and graphics.
McG.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:10:07 AM

> "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> I'm glad you (and a lot of others) liked it. Somehow, I just cannot
>>> get "into" it. A guy *gave* me the game, so for his thoughtfulness,
>>> I will surely see all I can in it. HL2 is a game I could get into,
>>> and Doom3. The Tombraider games, HL1. All easy for me to just get
>>> lost in :)  Morrowind. I can't for the life of me explain why I
>>> cannot get interested in CS or DE. That alone is enough to play it
>>> and see why. McG.
>>>

>> McG, I loved all the games you got into, and I hated all the games
>> you could not. We may part ways on Deus Ex, but if you can get into
>> stealth play, this one has a story that should hook you. Going in
>> guns blazing is a sure death sentance, at least before you up your
>> skills. Ouch! Did I say skills!!!! Before Deus Ex you couldn't get
>> me within 100 feet of an RPG. I'm an FPS guy, born and bred on Doom. But
>> for some reason, Deus Ex got me right from the start. You just
>> have to learn to enjoy crouching.
>> I started the demo for the first time knowing absolutely nothing
>> about the game, and gave up after dying a couple of times, thinking
>> "this game is too tough". I came back to it a few weeks later, and
>> played thru before I even understood the mechanics of gameplay. Not
>> realizing I could search the bodies of dead enemies for stuff, I was
>> constantly mumering to myself, "Where did they hide the damn ammo?". But
>> after I got the hang of it, I could not stay away. The game
>> ruled my life for several months.
>> From the moment you begin, standing on the docks of Liberty Island,
>> looking up at the headless Statue of Liberty, you know you have
>> entered a game world that is truely unique. Before you even take
>> your first step, as you stand there looking at the lights of the New
>> York skyline in the distance, listening to the sounds of the police
>> boat motor behind you, the waves lapping at the docks, the seaguls,
>> and the subtle forboding background music, and watch the guard
>> patrolling as the clouds move overhead, you get the feeling that you
>> part of something bigger than a mere game. Even now, after having
>> playing the game through 3 or 4 times over the last few years , I
>> still get that feeling when I start it up.
>> It didn't hit me the first time I tried it, but when it did, it
>> was lile crack cocaine. Wish you could expereince it as I did.
>>

>> Bob
>
> I am playing it, but for me, I think I like shooting too much. I won't
> say I hate stealth, but I hate having to give up everything else for it.
> I'll keep at it.
> McG.

Well, you probably won't be able to get into this one. Until you are
about 2/3 through the game you wont have built up your skills enough to just
use shooting to get through the game. Encounters with single enemy
solderies can be handled that way, but with 2 or more it usually requires a
tactical approach, which necesitates reconisiance of the area to determine
how many other enemies might be near, the location of the nearest alarm
switch, gun turrets, and cameras, and places to hide if you are discovered,
choice of appropriate weapon(s) for the job, and deciding whether you need
to use one of your augmentations. All of this planning can be avoided if
you have the sniper rifle, have added a scope, and have enough sniper ammo,
but you'll find this won't always be the case, at least not early on.
Sniper rifle ammo is pretty rare.

I know, this sounds like too much planning for someone used to
surviving on the "twitch" approach. And believe me, that's how I usully
prefer my games, but for some reason I really can't explain I enjoyed the
tactical approach in Deus Ex, with all the inventory management headaches
that go with it. I think it had something to do with the overall
atmosphere. Right from the start, with the huge size of the levels, I felt
I was in a real alternate world, rather than a game world, and it challenged
me to treat my life as if I had only one. When you start to think that way,
tactical planning becomes the only way to survive.

If you are serious about giving this another try, let me suggest what
skills to buy at the start: Computers, Lockpicking, and Weapons -Low tech.
Save the rest. Do not buy swimming. It's a waste of money. Good luck.

Bob
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:57:16 AM

"rjdriver"
thanks. I'll play the game out. It has a story, and I like that. This
game is more 'open' than one would think at first. In this aspect, I
think the game is doable. However, I am ever the unconventional one :)
I won't finish a hero. I'll be the underdog :)
Get the sneaky stuff. Ok.
McG.

> When you start to think that way, tactical planning
> becomes the only way to survive.
> If you are serious about giving this another try, let me suggest
> what skills to buy at the start: Computers, Lockpicking, and Weapons
> -Low tech. Save the rest. Do not buy swimming. It's a waste of
> money. Good luck.
>
> Bob
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:55:06 PM

> "rjdriver"
> thanks. I'll play the game out. It has a story, and I like that. This
> game is more 'open' than one would think at first. In this aspect, I
> think the game is doable. However, I am ever the unconventional one :)
> I won't finish a hero. I'll be the underdog :)
> Get the sneaky stuff. Ok.

For the record, I *hate* stealth games but *loved* Deus Ex.
Probably my fave game ever.

--
Thad
Anonymous

"Spyder Barques" <ffohkce@REMOVECAPShotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 9hh3r$ae9$1@news.datasync.com
>> "rjdriver"
>> thanks. I'll play the game out. It has a story, and I like that.
>> This game is more 'open' than one would think at first. In this
>> aspect, I think the game is doable. However, I am ever the
>> unconventional one :)  I won't finish a hero. I'll be the underdog
>> :)
>> Get the sneaky stuff. Ok.
>
> For the record, I *hate* stealth games but *loved* Deus Ex.
> Probably my fave game ever.

Well that makes several of you :o \ I'm in it, and I'll get it.
Eventually ;)
McG.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:26:31 PM

> "Spyder Barques" <ffohkce@REMOVECAPShotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D 9hh3r$ae9$1@news.datasync.com
> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "rjdriver"
> >> thanks. I'll play the game out. It has a story, and I like that.
> >> This game is more 'open' than one would think at first. In this
> >> aspect, I think the game is doable. However, I am ever the
> >> unconventional one :)  I won't finish a hero. I'll be the underdog
> >> :)
> >> Get the sneaky stuff. Ok.
> >
> > For the record, I *hate* stealth games but *loved* Deus Ex.
> > Probably my fave game ever.
>
> Well that makes several of you :o \ I'm in it, and I'll get it.
> Eventually ;)
> McG.

Now you've got me feeling nostalgic.
I might reinstall it if I can find it!
:-)

--
Thad
Anonymous

Snip

> Well, you probably won't be able to get into this one. Until you are
> about 2/3 through the game you wont have built up your skills enough to
> just use shooting to get through the game. Encounters with single
> enemy solderies can be handled that way, but with 2 or more it usually
> requires a tactical approach, which necesitates reconisiance of the area
> to determine how many other enemies might be near, the location of the
> nearest alarm switch, gun turrets, and cameras, and places to hide if you
> are discovered, choice of appropriate weapon(s) for the job, and deciding
> whether you need to use one of your augmentations. All of this planning
> can be avoided if you have the sniper rifle, have added a scope, and have
> enough sniper ammo, but you'll find this won't always be the case, at
> least not early on. Sniper rifle ammo is pretty rare.
>
> I know, this sounds like too much planning for someone used to
> surviving on the "twitch" approach. And believe me, that's how I usully
> prefer my games, but for some reason I really can't explain I enjoyed the
> tactical approach in Deus Ex, with all the inventory management headaches
> that go with it. I think it had something to do with the overall
> atmosphere. Right from the start, with the huge size of the levels, I
> felt I was in a real alternate world, rather than a game world, and it
> challenged me to treat my life as if I had only one. When you start to
> think that way, tactical planning becomes the only way to survive.
>
> If you are serious about giving this another try, let me suggest what
> skills to buy at the start: Computers, Lockpicking, and Weapons -Low tech.
> Save the rest. Do not buy swimming. It's a waste of money. Good luck.
>

> Bob

Well you Guys have me curious. I received the game as a gift a few years
ago. I tried it and did not like it because I thought it was too hard. Now I
have retrieved it from the garage sale stack and am going to load it up
again. I have done some Googling and wonder about your opinion of DE 2. How
was that one?

Mox
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:45:02 PM

> Well you Guys have me curious. I received the game as a gift a few years
> ago. I tried it and did not like it because I thought it was too hard. Now
> I have retrieved it from the garage sale stack and am going to load it up
> again. I have done some Googling and wonder about your opinion of DE 2.
> How was that one?
>
> Mox

Too hard was exactly my first impression, and I put it aside also. This
game was made by the same guys who did the Thief series, so if stealth is
not your bag, it's unlikely you'll get into it. And it adds a bit of RPG
with the skills aspect. But it wasn't enough to put me off.

As for DX2, I have never been more dissapointed in an eagerly awaited
sequal. It changed the dynamic of the game dramatically.

Sure you still had the mutiple missions paths, multiple alliance choices,
and multiple endings, but the scope of the levels was different. Gone was
the Skills system. Gone were the huge levels that gave the first game that
great atmosphere, replaced by smaller more claustrophobic maps. Gone was a
story developed sufficiently that you cared about the charcters and the
choices you made. Dedicated ammo for each weapon was replaced with an
utterly ridiculous common ammo that worked for all, completly removing any
aspect of tactical weapon/ammo choices for different enemies and situations.
Some say the fault was in developing it for a console, and porting to the PC
(opposite of how the first game went), but the soul of DX1 wasn't there
either way. Unfortunatley Deus Ex appears to be a one of a kind gem.

And lest anyone think that DX1 was perfect, let me say that it definitely
had it's faults. The jig saw nature of inventory storage was an unecessary
PIA. The ememy AI ranged from "deaf and dumb"(you'll be very thankful for
that at times) to "hear you breathing, hunt you down till you're dead"
(don't piss off a Commando unless you have the Sword or a sniper scope with
his head in the crosshairs). The graphics were nothing to write home about.
I think it was made with the Unreal engine, or an early version of the
Unreal Warfare engine, not sure. It sure would have been nice to have some
daylight now and then. And while most of the characters are well voice
acted, the main guy talks in a real monotone. I think that's the result of
the same voice actor doing both JC Denton (main guy) and his brother, Paul.
One of the voices had to come out a bit unnatural as it was disguised enough
to sound different. But all those can easily be overlooked considering the
brillance (IMHO) of the world/map creation, the story and characters, etc.

Bob
June 25, 2005 7:54:45 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:45:01 GMT, "Mox 13" <nospam@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Well you Guys have me curious. I received the game as a gift a few years
>ago. I tried it and did not like it because I thought it was too hard. Now I
>have retrieved it from the garage sale stack and am going to load it up
>again. I have done some Googling and wonder about your opinion of DE 2. How
>was that one?

DE was a masterpiece, DE:IW was a major downgrade in almost every
respect.
June 26, 2005 2:37:14 AM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:50:45 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net>
wrote:

> Too hard was exactly my first impression, and I put it aside also. This
>game was made by the same guys who did the Thief series, so if stealth is
>not your bag, it's unlikely you'll get into it. And it adds a bit of RPG
>with the skills aspect. But it wasn't enough to put me off.

IIRC, Looking Glass did Thief, Ion Storm did DE. I think there was
some joint work on DE:IW and Thief 3.
June 26, 2005 4:34:12 AM

"Mox 13" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Snip
>
>> Well, you probably won't be able to get into this one. Until
>> you are about 2/3 through the game you wont have built up your
>> skills enough to just use shooting to get through the game.
>> Encounters with single enemy solderies can be handled that way, but
>> with 2 or more it usually requires a tactical approach, which
>> necesitates reconisiance of the area to determine how many other
>> enemies might be near, the location of the nearest alarm switch, gun
>> turrets, and cameras, and places to hide if you are discovered,
>> choice of appropriate weapon(s) for the job, and deciding whether
>> you need to use one of your augmentations. All of this planning
>> can be avoided if you have the sniper rifle, have added a scope, and
>> have enough sniper ammo, but you'll find this won't always be the
>> case, at least not early on. Sniper rifle ammo is pretty rare. I
>> know, this sounds like too much planning for someone used to
>> surviving on the "twitch" approach. And believe me, that's how I
>> usully prefer my games, but for some reason I really can't explain I
>> enjoyed the tactical approach in Deus Ex, with all the inventory
>> management headaches that go with it. I think it had something to
>> do with the overall atmosphere. Right from the start, with the huge
>> size of the levels, I felt I was in a real alternate world, rather
>> than a game world, and it challenged me to treat my life as if I had
>> only one. When you start to think that way, tactical planning
>> becomes the only way to survive. If you are serious about giving this
>> another try, let me suggest
>> what skills to buy at the start: Computers, Lockpicking, and Weapons
>> -Low tech. Save the rest. Do not buy swimming. It's a waste of
>> money. Good luck. Bob
>

> Well you Guys have me curious. I received the game as a gift a few
> years ago. I tried it and did not like it because I thought it was
> too hard. Now I have retrieved it from the garage sale stack and am
> going to load it up again. I have done some Googling and wonder about
> your opinion of DE 2. How was that one?
>
> Mox

DE: IW is a completely different game. Its very short too, relative to
DE. The graphics and special effects are not really worth it in DE:IW.
I enjoyed some parts of it, like the physics effects. But, where is the
gameplay? Having not tried DE before DE:IW, I can say that IW's story
was definitely built on DE. Some things were just lost on me, as I had
no prior knowledge of them before IW. It was interesting, but not
enough for a second go.
IMHO, McG.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 4:51:11 AM

> "Mox 13" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Well you Guys have me curious. I received the game as a gift a few years
>> ago. I tried it and did not like it because I thought it was too hard.
>> Now I have retrieved it from the garage sale stack and am going to load
>> it up again. I have done some Googling and wonder about your opinion of
>> DE 2. How was that one?
>>
>> Mox
>>

> Too hard was exactly my first impression, and I put it aside also.
> This game was made by the same guys who did the Thief series, so if
> stealth is not your bag, it's unlikely you'll get into it. And it adds a
> bit of RPG with the skills aspect. But it wasn't enough to put me off.
>
> As for DX2, I have never been more dissapointed in an eagerly awaited
> sequal. It changed the dynamic of the game dramatically.
>
> Sure you still had the mutiple missions paths, multiple alliance
> choices, and multiple endings, but the scope of the levels was different.
> Gone was the Skills system. Gone were the huge levels that gave the first
> game that great atmosphere, replaced by smaller more claustrophobic maps.
> Gone was a story developed sufficiently that you cared about the charcters
> and the choices you made. Dedicated ammo for each weapon was replaced
> with an utterly ridiculous common ammo that worked for all, completly
> removing any aspect of tactical weapon/ammo choices for different enemies
> and situations. Some say the fault was in developing it for a console, and
> porting to the PC (opposite of how the first game went), but the soul of
> DX1 wasn't there either way. Unfortunatley Deus Ex appears to be a one
> of a kind gem.
>
> And lest anyone think that DX1 was perfect, let me say that it
> definitely had it's faults. The jig saw nature of inventory storage was
> an unecessary PIA. The ememy AI ranged from "deaf and dumb"(you'll be
> very thankful for that at times) to "hear you breathing, hunt you down
> till you're dead" (don't piss off a Commando unless you have the Sword or
> a sniper scope with his head in the crosshairs). The graphics were
> nothing to write home about. I think it was made with the Unreal engine,
> or an early version of the Unreal Warfare engine, not sure. It sure would
> have been nice to have some daylight now and then. And while most of the
> characters are well voice acted, the main guy talks in a real monotone. I
> think that's the result of the same voice actor doing both JC Denton (main
> guy) and his brother, Paul. One of the voices had to come out a bit
> unnatural as it was disguised enough to sound different. But all those can
> easily be overlooked considering the brillance (IMHO) of the world/map
> creation, the story and characters, etc.
>

> Bob

Choices, choices. Open GL or DX? I'm running a GF 6800.

Mox
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 4:51:12 AM

>> Bob
>
> Choices, choices. Open GL or DX? I'm running a GF 6800.
>
> Mox

Both should work, but I would go Direct X. I believe this game may have
been optimized for the 3DFX version of Open GL, and support for that may not
might not be as good as it once was.

Bob
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:18:45 AM

"Spyder Barques" <ffohkce@REMOVECAPShotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 9kara$g0l$1@news.datasync.com
>> "Spyder Barques" <ffohkce@REMOVECAPShotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 9hh3r$ae9$1@news.datasync.com
>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> For the record, I *hate* stealth games but *loved* Deus Ex.
>>> Probably my fave game ever.
>>
>> Well that makes several of you :o \ I'm in it, and I'll get it.
>> Eventually ;)
>> McG.
>>

> Now you've got me feeling nostalgic.
> I might reinstall it if I can find it!
> :-)

The one thing I'm finding is that I have to be in a mood for it, and
also have some time to spend in it while I'm in that mood.

So, laugh if you will and all ya want.... I'm still in the stealth
training area.

McG.
June 26, 2005 11:12:38 AM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 02:26:51 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm still in stealth training...sigh
>if you can't get out that one door... then THIS is the game, Deus Ex.
>And do NOT EVEN tell me how NOT to get detected. If I can't figure
>even this little bit out on my own, then I am not going to enjoy the
>rest of the game.

Skip the training, you have probably learned most of what you need to
by now. The actual game doesn't have any sneaking parts as annoying as
that training mission!
June 26, 2005 2:08:50 PM

> I'm still in stealth training...sigh
>
> The last time I tried to play this game I was stuck in the same place. In
> the training levels Stealth Training. In fact, this is exactly as far as
> I've gotten every time I've tried playing this game, including the game
> demo.

LOL, this is EXACTLY the place I have always gotten stuck and given up. I
try it numerous times because everyone keeps saying how wonderful the game
is and I always end up uninstalling the game in dusgust.

Just read with (slight) interest Thads comments on missing the training and
may try that next but have a number of other games to play first. DE just
doesn't grab me and make me push it to the top of games to play. Perhaps we
have something missing McG? Some part of us that makes us 'True PC Gamers'?
:-)

Good luck with it - report back if you get into it - you may be able to get
me interested again....
June 26, 2005 2:14:22 PM

>> I'm still in stealth training...sigh
>>
>> The last time I tried to play this game I was stuck in the same place. In
>> the training levels Stealth Training. In fact, this is exactly as far as
>> I've gotten every time I've tried playing this game, including the game
>> demo.
>
> LOL, this is EXACTLY the place I have always gotten stuck and given up. I
> try it numerous times because everyone keeps saying how wonderful the game
> is and I always end up uninstalling the game in dusgust.
>
> Just read with (slight) interest Thads comments on missing the training
> and may try that next but have a number of other games to play first. DE
> just doesn't grab me and make me push it to the top of games to play.
> Perhaps we have something missing McG? Some part of us that makes us
> 'True PC Gamers'? :-)
>
> Good luck with it - report back if you get into it - you may be able to
> get me interested again....

Dusgust? :-)
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:54:04 PM

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 02:26:51 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm still in stealth training...sigh
>> if you can't get out that one door... then THIS is the game, Deus Ex.
>> And do NOT EVEN tell me how NOT to get detected. If I can't figure
>> even this little bit out on my own, then I am not going to enjoy the
>> rest of the game.
>
> Skip the training, you have probably learned most of what you need to
> by now. The actual game doesn't have any sneaking parts as annoying as
> that training mission!

I skipped it, I'm now invading the busted statue of Liberty :)  If a
game has a crossbow with a scope on it, it's GOT to be ok :)
McG.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:05:11 PM

> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>>
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I'm still in stealth training...sigh
>>>
>>> The last time I tried to play this game I was stuck in the same
>>> place. In the training levels Stealth Training. In fact, this is
>>> exactly as far as I've gotten every time I've tried playing this
>>> game, including the game demo.
>>
>> LOL, this is EXACTLY the place I have always gotten stuck and given
>> up. I try it numerous times because everyone keeps saying how
>> wonderful the game is and I always end up uninstalling the game in
>> dusgust. Just read with (slight) interest Thads comments on missing
>> the
>> training and may try that next but have a number of other games to
>> play first. DE just doesn't grab me and make me push it to the top
>> of games to play. Perhaps we have something missing McG? Some part
>> of us that makes us 'True PC Gamers'? :-)
>>
>> Good luck with it - report back if you get into it - you may be able
>> to get me interested again....
>>

> Dusgust? :-)

New coined word? ;)  dusted in disgust? LOL!
McG.
June 26, 2005 3:58:37 PM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:54:04 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>I skipped it, I'm now invading the busted statue of Liberty :)  If a
>game has a crossbow with a scope on it, it's GOT to be ok :)

I love that level. That was the demo level, and the demo came out
about 3 months before the game was released in the UK, so I played
through it about a dozen times, there are just so many ways through it
and things to discover. It is only a shame that you play it now that
the graphics are probably looking very dated, the gameplay is
unsurpassed though.
June 26, 2005 3:58:38 PM

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:54:04 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I skipped it, I'm now invading the busted statue of Liberty :)  If a
>> game has a crossbow with a scope on it, it's GOT to be ok :)
>
> I love that level. That was the demo level, and the demo came out
> about 3 months before the game was released in the UK, so I played
> through it about a dozen times, there are just so many ways through it
> and things to discover. It is only a shame that you play it now that
> the graphics are probably looking very dated, the gameplay is
> unsurpassed though.

Gameplay: so far so good! Graphics, not that bad. The models are very
low poly but they behave well :)  The scenes they play while talking
are cool. That's alright though, cause Good Storytelling (gameplay) can
work well on most anything. It's not that ya have a great and powerful
game engine, it's what you DO with it :)  Even in the opening minute of
the game, it's clear that DeusEx is all about story.
Looks like I have my filler till Tombraider Legend and ES IV-Oblivion
come out!
McG.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:58:38 PM

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:54:04 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I skipped it, I'm now invading the busted statue of Liberty :)  If a
> >game has a crossbow with a scope on it, it's GOT to be ok :)
>
> I love that level. That was the demo level, and the demo came out
> about 3 months before the game was released in the UK, so I played
> through it about a dozen times, there are just so many ways through it
> and things to discover.

That was the addictive part to me- playing different ways and getting
different outcomes.

--
Thad
!