cannot play mpeg/mpg-files

hi!
I have a major problem with my media player or/and the rest of the XP! I
cannot play mpeg/mpg-files! When I try with Medi Player 10 i get the "error"
message, and that the program needs to close. Then I tried to play
mpeg/mpg-files in winamp and another media player but i got the same message!
The mediaplayer(& the other mediaplayers) can play avi & wma-files, but non
of them can play mpeg/mpg-files

anybody here who might know what the problem is and how to fix it?
7 answers Last reply
More about cannot play mpeg files

    You need a to get a program such as Cyberlink's PowerDVD.

    Jon wrote:
    > hi!
    > I have a major problem with my media player or/and the rest of the XP! I
    > cannot play mpeg/mpg-files! When I try with Medi Player 10 i get the "error"
    > message, and that the program needs to close. Then I tried to play
    > mpeg/mpg-files in winamp and another media player but i got the same message!
    > The mediaplayer(& the other mediaplayers) can play avi & wma-files, but non
    > of them can play mpeg/mpg-files
    >
    > anybody here who might know what the problem is and how to fix it?

    Cyberlink's PowerDVD was one of the other media players...it didn't
    work...any other tips?

    "Kenneth J. Harris" wrote:

    > You need a to get a program such as Cyberlink's PowerDVD.
    >

    > Jon wrote:
    > > hi!
    > > I have a major problem with my media player or/and the rest of the XP! I
    > > cannot play mpeg/mpg-files! When I try with Medi Player 10 i get the "error"
    > > message, and that the program needs to close. Then I tried to play
    > > mpeg/mpg-files in winamp and another media player but i got the same message!
    > > The mediaplayer(& the other mediaplayers) can play avi & wma-files, but non
    > > of them can play mpeg/mpg-files
    > >
    > > anybody here who might know what the problem is and how to fix it?

    Is this a new problem? Did it used to play mpeg's and doesn't now or
    did it never play them?

    Jon wrote:
    > Cyberlink's PowerDVD was one of the other media players...it didn't
    > work...any other tips?
    >
    > "Kenneth J. Harris" wrote:
    >

    >>You need a to get a program such as Cyberlink's PowerDVD.
    >>

    >>Jon wrote:
    >>
    >>>hi!
    >>>I have a major problem with my media player or/and the rest of the XP! I
    >>>cannot play mpeg/mpg-files! When I try with Medi Player 10 i get the "error"
    >>>message, and that the program needs to close. Then I tried to play
    >>>mpeg/mpg-files in winamp and another media player but i got the same message!
    >>>The mediaplayer(& the other mediaplayers) can play avi & wma-files, but non
    >>>of them can play mpeg/mpg-files
    >>>
    >>>anybody here who might know what the problem is and how to fix it?

    it has allways been possible to play mpeg-files until yesterday...the only
    thing I did with the machine yesterday was to install Adobe Premier
    Pro...This program can of course be the source of the problem, but i've taken
    virusscans og diskcleanings and
    un- and re-installed this program to check if this was the reason...
    "Kenneth J. Harris" wrote:

    > Is this a new problem? Did it used to play mpeg's and doesn't now or
    > did it never play them?
    >
    > Jon wrote:
    > > Cyberlink's PowerDVD was one of the other media players...it didn't
    > > work...any other tips?
    > >
    > > "Kenneth J. Harris" wrote:
    > >

    > >>You need a to get a program such as Cyberlink's PowerDVD.

    If you uninstalled Adobe Premier and it still won't play mpeg's try
    looking here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/errors.aspx
    Scroll through the whole thing and see if anything applies to your
    problem. That's about all I can think of.

    Jon wrote:

    > it has allways been possible to play mpeg-files until yesterday...the only
    > thing I did with the machine yesterday was to install Adobe Premier
    > Pro...This program can of course be the source of the problem, but i've taken
    > virusscans og diskcleanings and
    > un- and re-installed this program to check if this was the reason...
    > "Kenneth J. Harris" wrote:
    >

    >>Is this a new problem? Did it used to play mpeg's and doesn't now or
    >>did it never play them?
    >>
    >>Jon wrote:
    >>
    >>>Cyberlink's PowerDVD was one of the other media players...it didn't
    >>>work...any other tips?

    Try system restore to a point previous to installing adobe premiere.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Kenneth J. Harris" <kharris@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote in message
    > If you uninstalled Adobe Premier and it still won't play mpeg's try
    > looking here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/errors.aspx
    > Scroll through the whole thing and see if anything applies to your
    > problem. That's about all I can think of.
    >
    > Jon wrote:
    >
    > > it has allways been possible to play mpeg-files until yesterday...the
    only
    > > thing I did with the machine yesterday was to install Adobe Premier
    > > Pro...This program can of course be the source of the problem, but i've
    taken
    > > virusscans og diskcleanings and
    > > un- and re-installed this program to check if this was the reason...
    > > "Kenneth J. Harris" wrote:
    > >

    > >>Is this a new problem? Did it used to play mpeg's and doesn't now or
    > >>did it never play them?

    XP! I

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Reinstall PowerDVD. Premiere may have installed a codec which is not
    compatible with your system.

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for Windows Movie Maker

    "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > it has allways been possible to play mpeg-files until yesterday...the only
    > thing I did with the machine yesterday was to install Adobe Premier
    > Pro...This program can of course be the source of the problem, but i've
    > taken
    > virusscans og diskcleanings and
    > un- and re-installed this program to check if this was the reason...
    > "Kenneth J. Harris" wrote:
    >
    >> Is this a new problem? Did it used to play mpeg's and doesn't now or
    >> did it never play them?
    >>
    >> Jon wrote:
    >> > Cyberlink's PowerDVD was one of the other media players...it didn't
    >> > work...any other tips?

Video MPEG Microsoft Media Player Windows XP