Video tapes to DVD, result is b/w with shades of gray, no ..

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I have converted some video tapes to dvd on my pc. I use pctv deluxe
from pinnacle. Recording from tv and burning to dvd works great. However
when i connect my vcr to the s-video in of the pctv i can capture and
record my video tapes but the result is in b/w with shades of gray, not
colour.
My VCR does not have a s-video out so i use a connector to transfer from
scart to s-video and audio (b.t.w. the audio is good) Do I need a better
quality of cables ?

Any suggestions
Rik

"Rick" <fixitnospam@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> I have converted some video tapes to dvd on my pc. I use pctv deluxe
> from pinnacle. Recording from tv and burning to dvd works great. However
> when i connect my vcr to the s-video in of the pctv i can capture and
> record my video tapes but the result is in b/w with shades of gray, not
> colour.
> My VCR does not have a s-video out so i use a connector to transfer from
> scart to s-video and audio (b.t.w. the audio is good) Do I need a better
> quality of cables ?
>

> Any suggestions
> Rik

Isn't there a comp input on the PcTv Deluxe? Or are
the Euro version different? Mine's made in Germany.

Luck;
Ken

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

There is no comp input as far as I can see. Besides the s-video input
there is also a video input (Composite video). Is that wahat you mean ?
Rik

> There is no comp input as far as I can see. Besides the s-video input
> there is also a video input (Composite video). Is that wahat you mean ?
> Rik

Yes, on my card there are the letters "comp" stamped in
the metal next to that connector. The VCR's normal output
is most likely "Composite video".

Luck;
Ken

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Thanks Ken, as soon as I have a composite cable I give it a try..
Rik

Ken Maltby wrote:
>>>"Rick" <fixitnospam@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

>>Ken Maltby wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't there a comp input on the PcTv Deluxe? Or are
>>>the Euro version different? Mine's made in Germany.
>>>
>>>Luck;
>>> Ken
>>>

> "Rick" <fixitnospam@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>
>>There is no comp input as far as I can see. Besides the s-video input
>>there is also a video input (Composite video). Is that wahat you mean ?
>>Rik
>>

> Yes, on my card there are the letters "comp" stamped in
> the metal next to that connector. The VCR's normal output
> is most likely "Composite video".
>
> Luck;
> Ken

>I have converted some video tapes to dvd on my pc. I use pctv deluxe
>from pinnacle. Recording from tv and burning to dvd works great. However
>when i connect my vcr to the s-video in of the pctv i can capture and
>record my video tapes but the result is in b/w with shades of gray, not
>colour.
>My VCR does not have a s-video out so i use a connector to transfer from
>scart to s-video and audio (b.t.w. the audio is good) Do I need a better
>quality of cables ?
>

>Any suggestions
>Rik

Check your rendering settings...sounds like you've made an NTSC disk and your
player is trying to show it in PAL (or vice-versa).

webpa

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I have tried capturing it in NTSC but the result was even worse.
Rik

WEBPA wrote:
>>I have converted some video tapes to dvd on my pc. I use pctv deluxe
>
>>from pinnacle. Recording from tv and burning to dvd works great. However
>
>>when i connect my vcr to the s-video in of the pctv i can capture and
>>record my video tapes but the result is in b/w with shades of gray, not
>>colour.
>>My VCR does not have a s-video out so i use a connector to transfer from
>>scart to s-video and audio (b.t.w. the audio is good) Do I need a better
>>quality of cables ?
>>

>>Any suggestions
>>Rik
>>

> Check your rendering settings...sounds like you've made an NTSC disk and your
> player is trying to show it in PAL (or vice-versa).
>

> webpa

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Thanks Ken, Composite video did the trick all in colour now...
Rik