Sign in with
Your question
Closed

The HP TouchPad Firesale is Back This Weekend!

Last response: in News comments
December 8, 2011 3:11:07 PM

Uhm no, I wont. Might want one,but i don't need one.
Score
December 8, 2011 3:11:08 PM

It amazes they keep coming up with more of these to "fire sale"
Score
Related resources
December 8, 2011 3:23:55 PM

They're tempting at those prices but Asus Transformer Prime is still the hot ticket item and the tablet to get if you're willing to spend that much on a tablet
Score
December 8, 2011 3:32:34 PM

From where do they get so many tablets for refurbishing.
Score
December 8, 2011 3:49:39 PM

I would totally snatch 2 up, but the HP Ebay store says paypal only.
Don't have an account and don't want one.
Score
December 8, 2011 3:50:17 PM

dude do you know how much is the asus prime tablet... not 99$
Score
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 8, 2011 4:03:02 PM

I got the 64gb playbook when it was $200. Much better deal than these.
Score
December 8, 2011 4:16:46 PM

bbxI got the 64gb playbook when it was $200. Much better deal than these.

64Gb $200? I payed $200 for the 16Gb model, I still think it was a pretty good deal though. I just hope the next update will bring android apps over to it.
Score
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 8, 2011 4:24:12 PM

Meh... at this point I wouldn't want one if somebody gave me one for free.

1) The product is well past it's window of opportunity. Might have been a good deal back in September, but all the new Tegra 3 products with Android 3.2/4.0 hitting the market now offer a far better hardware/software combination, even though they will cost hundreds of dollars more.

2) I can't help but wonder why there are so many "refurbed" units. Whether its due to hardware reliability problems or people who just returned their tablets because they weren't satisfied with the user experience - either way it should be considered a warning to stay away and not get sucked in by the cheap price.

3) HP used to be a great company with premium products, but ever since the HP/Compaq merger (7 years ago?) their quality control has fallen apart and I have no confidence in the current corporate management. Seems like huge corporate mergers never go well, so it's better to focus attention on companies like Asus, Acer and Toshiba who aren't afraid to innovate.
Score
December 8, 2011 4:24:50 PM

There is a decent Android Gingerbread install for the Touchpad that seems to be working alright, it's still in Alpha. I am still up in the air, these are probably units that have been sent back and they might still have problems.
Score
December 8, 2011 4:34:21 PM

Sure, $99 and port Android to it. Workable...
Score
December 8, 2011 4:34:52 PM

Is there a way to put windows 8 developer on this .. if there was i would be really interested.
Score
December 8, 2011 4:50:32 PM

I signed up to be notified when HP would get the touchpads back in stock. I got an email saying so sorry, there will be no more touchpads. Then HP made touchpads available to developers. Now they are selling them on ebay. I don't trust them anymore after their lies. Given that the product is discontinued, and there is virtually no support, why should anyone want one?
Score
December 8, 2011 5:01:54 PM

Hmm debating on this one...I would have snatched one up the first time but now that amazon has their fire for $149 it doesn't make as much sense to snag this.
Score
December 8, 2011 5:32:30 PM

lockhrt999From where do they get so many tablets for refurbishing.

Looks like customers are sending back too many TouchPads!
Score
December 8, 2011 5:33:44 PM

I wasted a tremendous amount of time trying to get one the first time round. I finally get one (just one) when the HP home and small business order finally came through, though it was like two months after the sale. I have to say that it is a pretty nifty gadget, once you load up pre-ware and perform all of the necessary tweaks to speed it up. I'm happy with it. I will probably try to grab a 2nd one for my wife, but I won't lose sleep (again) over this if I miss out.
Score
December 8, 2011 5:37:12 PM

crewtonHmm debating on this one...I would have snatched one up the first time but now that amazon has their fire for $149 it doesn't make as much sense to snag this.

$149, I thought it was $199. Where do you see kindle fires for $149? Oh, and by the way, there is no comparison between the 2. The only benefit the fire would have over the touchpad would be the continued support. If you put android on the touchpad, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

I already have a tablet myself but I might end up snatching up 2 if I can for christmas presents.
Score
December 8, 2011 5:53:38 PM

Sorry but at 99$ is a lot better over those china, black and white book reader..., sure if you want a solid tablet performance over time this is bad but for book reading, surfing web, put cook recipe in the kitchen this is perfect.
Score
December 8, 2011 7:18:58 PM

They always seem to do this when I'm at my lowest cash flow. If it was next month I'd probably buy one.
Score
December 8, 2011 9:10:23 PM

This tablet still has a lot of relevance. The hardware spec is still darn good on the TP dual core snapdragon that can run at 1.8ghz+ Good battery life. Already has an android port.
Score
December 8, 2011 11:18:26 PM

on my touchpad ;-)
Score
December 8, 2011 11:20:13 PM

I may try ...again. I don't have a tablet. (I ordered one in August, but it was canceled.) I'm interested, even without 'hands-on' experience trying WebOS: I hope it is a good tablet and the price makes it 'easier' to buy. (HP should have had a site where people could try out WebOS in a virtual 'PC'-Touchpad.)
I'm glad HP is doing this sale. The leaked e-mail message makes it kind of awkward, but I probably would not have know about it in time otherwise.
Score
December 9, 2011 2:30:45 AM

gsacksI wasted a tremendous amount of time trying to get one the first time round. I finally get one (just one) when the HP home and small business order finally came through, though it was like two months after the sale. I have to say that it is a pretty nifty gadget, once you load up pre-ware and perform all of the necessary tweaks to speed it up. I'm happy with it. I will probably try to grab a 2nd one for my wife, but I won't lose sleep (again) over this if I miss out.

Some of the returns are actually for minor things like the charger not working right. Its a simple fix but some people just couldn't get it to work right. Other units could be dev units or some that might have been used in house.

For $99 I might jump on one. Even without ongoing support you'd still have a nice tablet for browsing the web, checking email, FB ect. Once an Android port is complete you have a nicely spec'd tablet that you can do a lot with at the fraction of the cost.
Score
December 9, 2011 2:32:23 AM

Damn quoted the wrong post...ahh hell oh well!!
Score
December 9, 2011 2:53:38 AM

I saw the title...Was going to buy one till I saw the "refurb" part.
Score
December 9, 2011 3:11:31 AM

I own 2 of these and bought a few for family , IF your willing to rom it and there is a fairly good one out right now this is a insane value, it runs android really smooth apps look great, video looks great you can get some light typing done with any Bluetooth keyboard. But be warned in its natural state with the incredible lack of apps the touchpad is kinda a dud put throw android on there and you have a very capable web, video and app device for a fantastic price. I bought one for my 16 year old sister and she has never picked up her laptop since , considering all she does is type up a little bit of word , go on face book and watch youtube this does all that for 100$.
Score
December 9, 2011 5:05:21 AM

slhpssIt amazes they keep coming up with more of these to "fire sale"

You obviously didn't read the article.

It amazes me how so many people on Tom's comment on an article, without even reading the article.

One of my buddies at work brings his Touchpad in sometimes and it's actually a great experience. He also bought his at $500, pre-ordered it before they were out. He was also a Palm Pre user and loved the webOS experience. The little that I have messed around with webOS, I hope it gets picked up by someone, or is rebooted by HP. It's completely based on Linux, and you can even get to the Linux OS on the Touchpad (HP tells you how), no rooting required. The only thing lacking in webOS is the "Apps". But, even though they are "refurbs", for $99, they are pretty much a steal. If I had any use for a tablet, I would have picked up a Touchpad for media consumption.
Score
December 9, 2011 12:09:54 PM

What about security? This is an orphaned, connected device. If an exploit is developed there will be no patches to defeat it. What will prevent every Touchpad out there from ending up as a botnet zombie? That, and the lack of apps in its natural state, are why I'm not interested despite the attractive hardware value.
Score
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 9, 2011 3:10:12 PM

@Arbie

someone is going waste their time and effort developing a malware for an OS which is obsolete with an incredibly small user base.....
Score
December 9, 2011 4:04:22 PM

SorryWhat@Arbiesomeone is going waste their time and effort developing a malware for an OS which is obsolete with an incredibly small user base.....

Good point. Maybe it's not so much to worry about. I'm in a Windows mindset...

Thx - Arbie
Score
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 9, 2011 10:38:30 PM

Getting it since webOS is going open source. Good deal I say, but might have to wait sometime for open source webOS for updates.
Score
December 11, 2011 8:03:44 AM

It would be nice if it was a lightweight tablet for reading comics on the go, but unfortunately its rather large.
Score
December 11, 2011 9:09:45 PM

jeffunitI signed up to be notified when HP would get the touchpads back in stock. I got an email saying so sorry, there will be no more touchpads. Then HP made touchpads available to developers. Now they are selling them on ebay. I don't trust them anymore after their lies. Given that the product is discontinued, and there is virtually no support, why should anyone want one?

I am sure developers didn't get the touchpads. They were gone so fast, I think a lot of fakies signed up as developers and requested them. All in the name of ebay :( 
Score
December 11, 2011 9:42:18 PM

not touchpad for 99 or 150. usd.. actually the real price in ebay is 499 and 599. for a refurbished piece of defunct shit..

wtf.. what they have in their mind? ... new one were firessold for 100-150.. and refurbished for 499-599??.. and they in their right mind??
Score
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 11, 2011 10:29:42 PM

Sold out already!?!?!
Score
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 11, 2011 10:50:35 PM

those price were place holders. When it hit 6pm the price is 99 and 149. I click buy it now few seconds after 6pm and can't get it to payment page. I tried for more than 30mis. Furthest I got was payment with paypal page. After I hit pay with paypal it gives me error could not complete request or item not found. They had 3 listings for 32g and one listing for 16g. At 6:40pm two of the 32g listing sold 1900+ each the other 1400+. They no longer for purchase at 6:40pm
Score
December 11, 2011 11:29:36 PM

__-_-_-__$$$$ oportunity! I'm gonna buy about 3 just like the previous ones and resell them on ebay for a much higher price! pure profit

Well your at it, don't forget to sell your brain on ebay and also your soul. Everyone seems like they are so desperate to make $50 minus over 10% of ebay/paypal fees. Lack of jobs?
Score
December 12, 2011 12:13:07 AM

There were four main listings, one for the 16 GB model and three for 32 GB model. The 16 GB model listing disappeared sometime during the first part of the hour. The other three listings remained and total sales a little over 8300.
Score
December 12, 2011 12:04:36 PM

If anybody wants to sell one send me a private message.
Score
December 13, 2011 2:20:11 AM

Tried to get one yesterday. I was on the page at 5:50 CT and right a 6:01 the price changed and I clicked that buy it now and froze for 20 minutes and sold out :(  Ebay servers are junk. well $100 saved, plus $20 S&H.
Score
!