Burned home video disk skipping

Hi there,

Relatively new to the the process of digitally editing and burning
home movies.

Spent about 10 hours putting this thing together in Pinnacle Studio
8.12 . Some overlapping background music, nothing too fancy, about an
hour ten minutes total or so. One menu, several pages.

Try to write and burn from within pinnacle to my DVD+RW drive. At the
end, get the never ending "writing lead out" error, which ends in
killing Pinnacle. So, from the net, I learn to burn the image to my
hard drive and burn the disk from that folder. OK, so I download Nero
demo, and use that to burn the ISO and VOB files and all from my HD to
my Iomega DVD media.

Try it in my Zenith player. Menu works, movie plays, until about 30
minutes in, when the audio starts cutting out, and the video starts
skipping, larger and larger chunks, until it gets to the return to
menu call, skipping over the entire end chapters. Attempts to go
directly to these chapters results in random access to some part of
the disk, and skipping begins again.

Why is nothing ever easy? Any tips here? New media? Different
burner? I am running on an HP-7000 laptop, about 3 mos old. Zenith
DVD/VCR is about 6 mos. old.

Thanks!

oj
10 answers Last reply
More about burned home video disk skipping

    This same thing happened to me a few months ago and I discovered that it was
    the DVD burner and the brand of DVD media I was using (the combo together).
    Others have had this problem and it has been talked about it in this NG
    before and they had different resolutions but this is my personal experience
    and how I got it resolved.

    //cory

    "OJ" <orljustin@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Relatively new to the the process of digitally editing and burning
    > home movies.
    >
    > Spent about 10 hours putting this thing together in Pinnacle Studio
    > 8.12 . Some overlapping background music, nothing too fancy, about an
    > hour ten minutes total or so. One menu, several pages.
    >
    > Try to write and burn from within pinnacle to my DVD+RW drive. At the
    > end, get the never ending "writing lead out" error, which ends in
    > killing Pinnacle. So, from the net, I learn to burn the image to my
    > hard drive and burn the disk from that folder. OK, so I download Nero
    > demo, and use that to burn the ISO and VOB files and all from my HD to
    > my Iomega DVD media.
    >
    > Try it in my Zenith player. Menu works, movie plays, until about 30
    > minutes in, when the audio starts cutting out, and the video starts
    > skipping, larger and larger chunks, until it gets to the return to
    > menu call, skipping over the entire end chapters. Attempts to go
    > directly to these chapters results in random access to some part of
    > the disk, and skipping begins again.
    >
    > Why is nothing ever easy? Any tips here? New media? Different
    > burner? I am running on an HP-7000 laptop, about 3 mos old. Zenith
    > DVD/VCR is about 6 mos. old.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > oj

    > Try to write and burn from within pinnacle to my DVD+RW drive.

    Are you using DVD-R or DVD+R blanks? What brand?

    > At the
    > end, get the never ending "writing lead out" error, which ends in
    > killing Pinnacle.

    Not surprised. Stop using it as soon as you can get your hands on
    something better.

    > So, from the net, I learn to burn the image to my
    > hard drive and burn the disk from that folder. OK, so I download Nero
    > demo, and use that to burn the ISO and VOB files and all from my HD to
    > my Iomega DVD media.

    OK, so the blank DVD brand is Iomega, right?

    > Why is nothing ever easy?

    It takes a while to get the process down, given so many variables in
    formats, media and equipment. Do not despair.

    > Any tips here? New media? Different
    > burner? I am running on an HP-7000 laptop, about 3 mos old. Zenith
    > DVD/VCR is about 6 mos. old.

    Here's what I would try, in this particular order:

    1.)Check the manual for it to see if it supports DVD-R/+R at all. If
    it doesn't, you won't get much further. If it does, go to step 2.

    2.) Try to play your DVD in a different player. Better yet, a couple
    of different ones (that DO support DVD-R/+R). If it works fine in
    others, the DVD PLAYER is your problem. Check the compatability
    section of www.dvdrhelp.com. They list media, player and burner
    compatability reports for most equipment. It's the best resource out
    there. If the disc is not working right in other players, go to step
    3.

    3.) Check the encoding settings, ie bitrate and sound settings. You
    can find all that on www.dvdrhelp.com as well, in the tutorial
    section. Chances are there are write ups on how to do this with your
    software.

    4.) The burner itself is the least likely to be your problem, but it
    is possible. Try slower burning speedTry a different one if all else
    fails.

    > Thanks!

    Welcome and good luck,

    Igor.

    CORRECTION:

    The line:

    " Check the manual for it to see if it supports DVD-R/+R at all. ..."

    should read:

    " Check the manual for the DVD player, to see if it supports DVD-R/+R at all. ..."

    Sorry.

    igarber@optonline.net (Igor) wrote in message news:<564bfe95.0404200901.4e4d7510@posting.google.com>...
    > > Try to write and burn from within pinnacle to my DVD+RW drive.
    >
    > Are you using DVD-R or DVD+R blanks? What brand?
    >
    > > At the
    > > end, get the never ending "writing lead out" error, which ends in
    > > killing Pinnacle.
    >
    > Not surprised. Stop using it as soon as you can get your hands on
    > something better.
    >
    > > So, from the net, I learn to burn the image to my
    > > hard drive and burn the disk from that folder. OK, so I download Nero
    > > demo, and use that to burn the ISO and VOB files and all from my HD to
    > > my Iomega DVD media.
    >
    > OK, so the blank DVD brand is Iomega, right?
    >
    > > Why is nothing ever easy?
    >
    > It takes a while to get the process down, given so many variables in
    > formats, media and equipment. Do not despair.
    >
    > > Any tips here? New media? Different
    > > burner? I am running on an HP-7000 laptop, about 3 mos old. Zenith
    > > DVD/VCR is about 6 mos. old.
    >

    > Here's what I would try, in this particular order:
    >
    > 1.)Check the manual for it to see if it supports DVD-R/+R at all. If
    > it doesn't, you won't get much further. If it does, go to step 2.
    >

    > 2.) Try to play your DVD in a different player. Better yet, a couple
    > of different ones (that DO support DVD-R/+R). If it works fine in
    > others, the DVD PLAYER is your problem. Check the compatability
    > section of www.dvdrhelp.com. They list media, player and burner
    > compatability reports for most equipment. It's the best resource out
    > there. If the disc is not working right in other players, go to step
    > 3.
    >

    > 3.) Check the encoding settings, ie bitrate and sound settings. You
    > can find all that on www.dvdrhelp.com as well, in the tutorial
    > section. Chances are there are write ups on how to do this with your
    > software.
    >
    > 4.) The burner itself is the least likely to be your problem, but it
    > is possible. Try slower burning speedTry a different one if all else
    > fails.
    >
    > > Thanks!
    >

    > Welcome and good luck,
    >
    > Igor.

    Hi,

    Well, I got a tdk +RW disk to try out. We'll see.

    oj

    > > Welcome and good luck,
    > >
    > > Igor.
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Well, I got a tdk +RW disk to try out. We'll see.
    >
    > oj

    Hi,

    Well, the new media worked. Now, I need to fix the bad chapter
    pointer and slipped audio in Studio and try again.

    oj

    orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Relatively new to the the process of digitally editing and burning
    >home movies.
    >
    >Spent about 10 hours putting this thing together in Pinnacle Studio
    >8.12 . Some overlapping background music, nothing too fancy, about an
    >hour ten minutes total or so. One menu, several pages.
    >
    >Try to write and burn from within pinnacle to my DVD+RW drive. At the
    >end, get the never ending "writing lead out" error, which ends in
    >killing Pinnacle. So, from the net, I learn to burn the image to my
    >hard drive and burn the disk from that folder. OK, so I download Nero
    >demo, and use that to burn the ISO and VOB files and all from my HD to
    >my Iomega DVD media.
    >
    >Try it in my Zenith player. Menu works, movie plays, until about 30
    >minutes in, when the audio starts cutting out, and the video starts
    >skipping, larger and larger chunks, until it gets to the return to
    >menu call, skipping over the entire end chapters. Attempts to go
    >directly to these chapters results in random access to some part of
    >the disk, and skipping begins again.
    >
    >Why is nothing ever easy? Any tips here? New media? Different
    >burner? I am running on an HP-7000 laptop, about 3 mos old. Zenith
    >DVD/VCR is about 6 mos. old.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >oj

    Hi OJ,

    Hope you're not THAT OK! Just kidding.

    Have you put a paper label on your Disc? If so, that may well be your
    problem, remove it and see if that helps. Does it work on your
    computer? Can you play it on another player? I can't remember if
    your burner is a +/- unit or not. If so, try burning the other type
    disc and see if it will play. If you used a RW disc, see if a R disc
    will work.

    Then again, the disc may be fine, and it could be that Studio messed
    up the original files, but the fact that you are getting the jumping
    over sections sounds like your player is unhappy with the disc. Some
    players just don't like certain types and brands. I have one almost
    new Toshiba that simply will not play a + disc of any sort, and an
    older Pioneer that will take any disc, even with labels, I have ever
    thrown at it.

    Hope this helps,

    Susan

    Uhh, did you put a label on your DVD????? No lables, no labels no labels.

    "Supreme Enchanter" <supremenchanter@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<09b9e0ff9a37ec1bceb3cf9bca08946c@news.teranews.com>...
    > Uhh, did you put a label on your DVD????? No lables, no labels no labels.

    Hey,

    Uh, no.

    oj

    > "Supreme Enchanter" <supremenchanter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Uhh, did you put a label on your DVD????? No lables, no labels no
    labels.

    I've used labels on all my DVDs and they work fine....
    Len

    On 1 Jun 2004 13:17:33 -0700, orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote:

    >"Supreme Enchanter" <supremenchanter@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<09b9e0ff9a37ec1bceb3cf9bca08946c@news.teranews.com>...
    >> Uhh, did you put a label on your DVD????? No lables, no labels no labels.
    >>

    >Hey,
    >
    >Uh, no.
    >
    >oj
    >

    >> "Cory" <here@there.com> wrote in message
    >> > This same thing happened to me a few months ago and I discovered that it
    >> was
    >> > the DVD burner and the brand of DVD media I was using (the combo
    >> together).
    >> > Others have had this problem and it has been talked about it in this NG
    >> > before and they had different resolutions but this is my personal
    >> experience
    >> > and how I got it resolved.
    >> >
    >> > //cory
    >> >
    >> > "OJ" <orljustin@aol.com> wrote in message

    Never take anything for granted. When you think you have a perfect
    burn, try to copy that disk to its own burner. You will most likely
    find that you have an unreadable disk.

    B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

Tuner Cards Video Burner Graphics