Choppy video

I'm trying to figure out why the new 3.2GHz P4 Dell with 1GB RAM and an ATI
PCI-Express video card with 128MB RAM can't play mpg1 files without
stuttering/choppiness. My old 2.8GHz P4 with an ATI AGP Radeon 9200 plays
the files just fine. Mpg1 is the oldest, lowest res movie file and this new
screaming machine can't play them smoothly. I had Dell replace the video
card and it made no difference. Any ideas? Thanks!!!
8 answers Last reply
More about choppy video

    What else is running?

    When was the last time you defragged the hard drive?
    www.coribright.com

    "Kent McPherson" <bigk@kentmcpherson.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to figure out why the new 3.2GHz P4 Dell with 1GB RAM and an
    > ATI
    > PCI-Express video card with 128MB RAM can't play mpg1 files without
    > stuttering/choppiness. My old 2.8GHz P4 with an ATI AGP Radeon 9200 plays
    > the files just fine. Mpg1 is the oldest, lowest res movie file and this
    > new
    > screaming machine can't play them smoothly. I had Dell replace the video
    > card and it made no difference. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

    Nothing else is running and it's a defrag problem. This system did this
    right out of the box. I can run the exact same mpg1 file just fine on the
    old machine. The only difference is the video technology. The new PC
    should handle even complex videos just fine but doesn't.

    > What else is running?
    >
    > When was the last time you defragged the hard drive?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Kent McPherson" <bigk@kentmcpherson.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to figure out why the new 3.2GHz P4 Dell with 1GB RAM and an
    > > ATI
    > > PCI-Express video card with 128MB RAM can't play mpg1 files without
    > > stuttering/choppiness. My old 2.8GHz P4 with an ATI AGP Radeon 9200
    plays
    > > the files just fine. Mpg1 is the oldest, lowest res movie file and this
    > > new
    > > screaming machine can't play them smoothly. I had Dell replace the video
    > > card and it made no difference. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:32:27 -0500, "Kent McPherson"
    <bigk@kentmcpherson.com> wrote:

    >Nothing else is running and it's a defrag problem. This system did this
    >right out of the box. I can run the exact same mpg1 file just fine on the
    >old machine. The only difference is the video technology. The new PC
    >should handle even complex videos just fine but doesn't.

    2 things to check. Recreate the problem and check the cpu of the
    media player in Task Manager.

    Open the mpg files in mplayer2.exe and see what codecs/splitter
    ot's using. Do this by playing the movie, right click the screen
    and select properties.

    Dave

    What am I looking for when check the properties in mplayer2? Am I looking
    for a difference in the codec/splitter list between the PC that won't play
    the movie correctly and the one that does?

    "da_test" <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:32:27 -0500, "Kent McPherson"
    > <bigk@kentmcpherson.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Nothing else is running and it's a defrag problem. This system did this
    > >right out of the box. I can run the exact same mpg1 file just fine on
    the
    > >old machine. The only difference is the video technology. The new PC
    > >should handle even complex videos just fine but doesn't.
    > >
    > 2 things to check. Recreate the problem and check the cpu of the
    > media player in Task Manager.
    >
    > Open the mpg files in mplayer2.exe and see what codecs/splitter
    > ot's using. Do this by playing the movie, right click the screen
    > and select properties.
    >
    > Dave

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 06:45:37 -0500, "Kent McPherson"
    <bigk@kentmcpherson.com> wrote:

    >What am I looking for when check the properties in mplayer2? Am I looking
    >for a difference in the codec/splitter list between the PC that won't play
    >the movie correctly and the one that does?

    Yes. If they're different, put the details in the post.

    Dave

    OK, so they're different. Maybe we're getting somewhere here and maybe not.
    First, since the mpg file that I'm having trouble with is an mpg1 file,
    should it matter what codecs are installed? I thought mpg1 files were
    supported natively by Windows.

    Second, here is what I found from mplayer2.exe:

    Problem PC PC that works
    Same or different
    ----
    Default Direct Sound Default Direct Sound
    Same
    MPEG1 audio Decoder Ligos MPEG1 audio decoder Different
    MPEG1 video decoder Ligos MPEG1 video decoder Different
    Video Renderer Video Renderer
    Same
    --- Ligos MPEG splitter
    Not on the problem PC at all

    I checked the codecs installed and found these differences:
    Problem PC PC that works
    Same or different
    ----
    -- Indeo audio software
    Not installed on problem PC
    -- Indeo video 4.5
    Not installed on problem PC
    -- Indeo video 5.1
    Not installed on problem PC

    Ideas from here?

    > On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 06:45:37 -0500, "Kent McPherson"
    > <bigk@kentmcpherson.com> wrote:
    >
    > >What am I looking for when check the properties in mplayer2? Am I
    looking
    > >for a difference in the codec/splitter list between the PC that won't
    play
    > >the movie correctly and the one that does?
    > >
    > Yes. If they're different, put the details in the post.
    >
    > Dave
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:57:30 -0500, "Kent McPherson"
    <bigk@kentmcpherson.com> wrote:

    >OK, so they're different. Maybe we're getting somewhere here and maybe not.
    >First, since the mpg file that I'm having trouble with is an mpg1 file,
    >should it matter what codecs are installed? I thought mpg1 files were
    >supported natively by Windows.
    >
    >Second, here is what I found from mplayer2.exe:
    >
    >Problem PC PC that works
    >Same or different
    >----
    >Default Direct Sound Default Direct Sound
    >Same
    >MPEG1 audio Decoder Ligos MPEG1 audio decoder Different
    >MPEG1 video decoder Ligos MPEG1 video decoder Different
    >Video Renderer Video Renderer
    >Same
    >--- Ligos MPEG splitter
    >Not on the problem PC at all
    >
    >I checked the codecs installed and found these differences:
    >Problem PC PC that works
    >Same or different
    The machine with the problem is default, while the one with ligos
    has some third party codecs installed. As you say, it doesn't
    take a powerful machine to play mpg 1.
    Have you checked your problem machine for virus or other malware.
    Is the cpu uti,ization high when they're playing?

    Take a look here for some suggestions for troubleshooting these kinds
    of problems, some of the things in here are issues with overlay
    and/or video driver. Video or sound card drivers could be involved.
    http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html#video
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Do I understand it correctly that an mpg1 file should be supported by Win XP
    natively, i.e. no special codec needs to be installed to play it? Is it
    also true that it doesn't matter what codec I have installed to play an
    mpg2, the mpg1 should be played by Win XP without using the mpg2 codec?

    Dell is telling me it's my problem and I'm trying to figure out how to get
    them to own this issue.

    > On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:57:30 -0500, "Kent McPherson"
    > <bigk@kentmcpherson.com> wrote:
    >
    > >OK, so they're different. Maybe we're getting somewhere here and maybe
    not.
    > >First, since the mpg file that I'm having trouble with is an mpg1 file,
    > >should it matter what codecs are installed? I thought mpg1 files were
    > >supported natively by Windows.
    > >
    > >Second, here is what I found from mplayer2.exe:
    > >
    > >Problem PC PC that works
    > >Same or different

    -
    > >----
    > >Default Direct Sound Default Direct Sound
    > >Same
    > >MPEG1 audio Decoder Ligos MPEG1 audio decoder Different
    > >MPEG1 video decoder Ligos MPEG1 video decoder Different
    > >Video Renderer Video Renderer
    > >Same
    > >--- Ligos MPEG splitter
    > >Not on the problem PC at all
    > >
    > >I checked the codecs installed and found these differences:
    > >Problem PC PC that works
    > >Same or different

    -
    > The machine with the problem is default, while the one with ligos
    > has some third party codecs installed. As you say, it doesn't
    > take a powerful machine to play mpg 1.
    > Have you checked your problem machine for virus or other malware.
    > Is the cpu uti,ization high when they're playing?
    >
    > Take a look here for some suggestions for troubleshooting these kinds
    > of problems, some of the things in here are issues with overlay
    > and/or video driver. Video or sound card drivers could be involved.
    > http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html#video

Video Windows XP