A microphone question...

cory

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

When it comes to shooting video, I know absolutely nothing about sound. I've
always just used the microphone on my GL2. But now I will be doing some
interviews in front of the green screen and I'm going to need a mic
solution. I don't want a lapel. I'd rather have one hanging a few feet above
the person. (Sad, I don't even know what it's called!) So if anyone could
advise me on what to look for and a price range for it, I'd really
appreciate it. Thanks!!

//cory

"Cory" <here@there.com> wrote ...
> When it comes to shooting video, I know absolutely
> nothing about sound. I've always just used the microphone
> on my GL2. But now I will be doing some interviews in
> front of the green screen and I'm going to need a mic solution.
> I don't want a lapel. I'd rather have one hanging a few feet
> above the person. (Sad, I don't even know what it's called!)
> So if anyone could advise me on what to look for and a
> price range for it, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!!

What is your budget? What quality level are you expecting?
Do you have a dedicated and experienced crew person to
boom the mic? WHY do you think you dont want a lapel?

It will cost you significantly (>2~3x) more to get similar
quality from a boom mic than you would from a lapel mic.
Note that professionals with unlimited budgets and plenty
of experienced crew still prefer lapel over boom micing
wherever they have the choice. And shooting interviews
is vitually the exclusive domain of lapel micing.

You could get good quality audio from a <$50 lapel, but
you would need to spend AT LEAST $200-300 AND have
an experienced crew person to get similar (but still not as
good) from a boom mic. The pro's will scoff at a $200-300
budget for a boom mic and boom pole.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:10:38 -0400, Cory wrote
(in message <P3bhc.25080$Yf6.17694@fed1read07>):

> When it comes to shooting video, I know absolutely nothing about sound. I've
> always just used the microphone on my GL2. But now I will be doing some
> interviews in front of the green screen and I'm going to need a mic
> solution. I don't want a lapel. I'd rather have one hanging a few feet above
> the person. (Sad, I don't even know what it's called!) So if anyone could
> advise me on what to look for and a price range for it, I'd really
> appreciate it. Thanks!!
>
> //cory

You can use a Countryman B6 lav in plain view and never see it most of the
time. It's that small.

A GOOD boom mic will always sound better. If you're shooting in a typical
office or domestic interior, don't use a shotgun, use a good hypercardioid.

If you are shooting in front of a green screen and have a TALL ceiling and no
parallel walls, a shotgun will work. You can strap a mic to a C-stand with an
arm.

How much you pay depends on the quality you want. Also think about your
future use. You gonnna be in offices and homes? Get the hyper instead.

The best hyper is a Schoeps cmc641. THAT'S about $1200 these days, but
yoou'll use it for the rest of your life and always come home with quality
audio.

Want a shotgun? the Sennheiser MKH416, AT 4073, Sanken CS3 will do the job.

Regards,

Ty Ford

"Cory" <here@there.com> wrote in message news:<P3bhc.25080$Yf6.17694@fed1read07>...
> When it comes to shooting video, I know absolutely nothing about sound. I've
> always just used the microphone on my GL2. But now I will be doing some
> interviews in front of the green screen and I'm going to need a mic
> solution. I don't want a lapel. I'd rather have one hanging a few feet above
> the person. (Sad, I don't even know what it's called!) So if anyone could
> advise me on what to look for and a price range for it, I'd really
> appreciate it. Thanks!!
>
> //cory

I do some pro work and use lapel mics from Maplin £9.99..sound quality
for voice work is great, ofcourse you could buy into the expensive mic
thing, depends what you are doing though. If you bang your audio into
Sound Forge you cam appy EQ etc in there if you need it.
I use Sennheiser gear too, so Im not a heathen. :)

TRENDING THREADS