Newbie help? Camcorder to DVD transfer?

Hi, I have just got a new mini dv camcorder and would like to copy
some of the film to dvd so that I can send to family members etc. I
have gleaned from reading the posts here that this may not result in
the best possible quality, but I know the family all have dvd players
so it will work best for me. The camcorder came with a usb cord and I
have a dvd burner, but I can't seem to find a way to get the film to
the hard drive to copy. I am a genuine newbie to video stuff (OK on
computer) so any help or advice would really be appreciated! Thanks,
Lynn
3 answers Last reply
More about newbie help camcorder transfer

    On 20 Apr 2004 09:05:03 -0700, lynn.herrick@lineone.net (Lynn) wrote:
    >Hi, I have just got a new mini dv camcorder and would like to copy
    >some of the film to dvd so that I can send to family members etc. I
    >have gleaned from reading the posts here that this may not result in
    >the best possible quality, but I know the family all have dvd players
    >so it will work best for me. The camcorder came with a usb cord and I
    >have a dvd burner, but I can't seem to find a way to get the film to
    >the hard drive to copy. I am a genuine newbie to video stuff (OK on
    >computer) so any help or advice would really be appreciated! Thanks,
    >Lynn

    First, go read the tutorials at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

    2nd, USB is generally not for video, you need a Firewire connection

    What software was bundled with your dvd drive? Depending on what
    you have, you may have few/more? options on dvd creation

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    Lynn wrote:
    > Hi, I have just got a new mini dv camcorder and would like to copy
    > some of the film to dvd so that I can send to family members etc. I
    > have gleaned from reading the posts here that this may not result in
    > the best possible quality, but I know the family all have dvd players
    > so it will work best for me. The camcorder came with a usb cord and I
    > have a dvd burner, but I can't seem to find a way to get the film to
    > the hard drive to copy. I am a genuine newbie to video stuff (OK on
    > computer) so any help or advice would really be appreciated! Thanks,
    > Lynn

    If you want to avoid all the hassles of buying and learning how to use the
    necessary hardware and software, just buy a standalone DVD recorder and a
    firewire cable. Hook your camcorder to it, transfer your footage in and
    you're done. If you want rudimentary editing capabilities, buy one with an
    internal hard drive.

    Mike

    Thanks for your help...think the DVD recorder would be my best bet.

    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<c64bum$821ak$2@ID-113661.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > Lynn wrote:
    > > Hi, I have just got a new mini dv camcorder and would like to copy
    > > some of the film to dvd so that I can send to family members etc. I
    > > have gleaned from reading the posts here that this may not result in
    > > the best possible quality, but I know the family all have dvd players
    > > so it will work best for me. The camcorder came with a usb cord and I
    > > have a dvd burner, but I can't seem to find a way to get the film to
    > > the hard drive to copy. I am a genuine newbie to video stuff (OK on
    > > computer) so any help or advice would really be appreciated! Thanks,
    > > Lynn
    >

    > If you want to avoid all the hassles of buying and learning how to use the
    > necessary hardware and software, just buy a standalone DVD recorder and a
    > firewire cable. Hook your camcorder to it, transfer your footage in and
    > you're done. If you want rudimentary editing capabilities, buy one with an
    > internal hard drive.
    >
    > Mike

Tuner Cards DVD Video Camcorders Graphics