Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

dv capture to avi, sound problems

Tags:
  • Video
  • AVI
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:51:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hi, when I capture from my panasonic pv-gs120 dv link at video res of 720x480
using avi or mpeg2, the playback on my pc has a high pitched audio sound in
the background that is not on the original tape. This does not happen when I
capture using lower pixel res of 640x480 and below... any ideas? I've updated
DirectX driver and am using 1394 shielded firewire but still problems...
thanks...

More about : capture avi sound problems

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:31:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Sounds like the squeal of the HOT of the monitor. Do you have a mic
connected, if so try with it out or muted. If no mic, disregard this. Later
on.

"rsnavarro98" <rsnavarro98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9B35E95B-5151-4A5F-BA3A-684CD29DE68A@microsoft.com...
> Hi, when I capture from my panasonic pv-gs120 dv link at video res of
720x480
> using avi or mpeg2, the playback on my pc has a high pitched audio sound
in
> the background that is not on the original tape. This does not happen
when I
> capture using lower pixel res of 640x480 and below... any ideas? I've
updated
> DirectX driver and am using 1394 shielded firewire but still problems...
> thanks...
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:23:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hi Nick...no mic is connected, its not feedback sound, its a very high pitch
sound, like maybe the audio codec can't keep up with the xfer speed maybe
(?)... I'm just guessing, but as I said the high pitch sound only happens
when xferring from dv camcorder to pc at avi or mpeg2 mode... thanks tho...

"Nick Burns" wrote:

> Sounds like the squeal of the HOT of the monitor. Do you have a mic
> connected, if so try with it out or muted. If no mic, disregard this. Later
> on.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 10:43:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

There are two likely sources, the Firewire connection or the audio card. If
you are confident that your Firewire connection is functioning correctly,
look at the audio. If you are using the onboard audio, that might be the
more likely issue. Get the latest chipset drivers for your audio. Is this
machine slower than 1.6GHz (1.0 if AMD)? That could potentially contribute
if the audio system is sub-par. A remedy might be adding a PCI audio card
such as a Creative Labs Audigy, but check the audio drivers first!

The latest DirectX is 9.0c, which is built into SP2. DXDIAG will list the
version. I highly recommend 9.0c, which you may have ("updated DirectX") as
you indicated, because it also includes the latest DX security patches.



"rsnavarro98" <rsnavarro98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9B35E95B-5151-4A5F-BA3A-684CD29DE68A@microsoft.com...
> Hi, when I capture from my panasonic pv-gs120 dv link at video res of
720x480
> using avi or mpeg2, the playback on my pc has a high pitched audio sound
in
> the background that is not on the original tape. This does not happen
when I
> capture using lower pixel res of 640x480 and below... any ideas? I've
updated
> DirectX driver and am using 1394 shielded firewire but still problems...
> thanks...
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:07:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hi George.. thanks for the suggestions... yes I did upgrade to DirectX 9.0c
via Windows website.. I have an HP 450n which says its a 3gig.. I'm not so
sure its an audio onboard problem; I'm thinking maybe its a audio codec
problem maybe? because if I upload the dv video to pc via avi, than burn it
directly to dvd and play it on my tv, I get the same high pitch background
noise as I hear on the pc... also, I tried 2 different firewire cables, and
still get same high pitch noise when downloading via avi or mpeg2 format,
which is the highest video resolution for capture, but no high pitch noise
when downloading via regular mpeg or lower video res...

"George Ellis" wrote:

> There are two likely sources, the Firewire connection or the audio card. If
> you are confident that your Firewire connection is functioning correctly,
> look at the audio. If you are using the onboard audio, that might be the
> more likely issue. Get the latest chipset drivers for your audio. Is this
> machine slower than 1.6GHz (1.0 if AMD)? That could potentially contribute
> if the audio system is sub-par. A remedy might be adding a PCI audio card
> such as a Creative Labs Audigy, but check the audio drivers first!
>
> The latest DirectX is 9.0c, which is built into SP2. DXDIAG will list the
> version. I highly recommend 9.0c, which you may have ("updated DirectX") as
> you indicated, because it also includes the latest DX security patches.
>
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 10:59:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Yes, this really sounds like a audio driver issue or a potential codec
issue. Especially if varies based on format via firewire. The audio is
usually processed through audio chipset. There are certain conditions like
this where the audio will also get out of sync with the video while using
firewire.

Go to the HP site and go to the support page. You can enter your model
number and get the downloads list for you computer. Download the latest
audio driver and see if it corrects your problem.


"rsnavarro98" <rsnavarro98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6955774E-BF55-4A4A-BA8A-976594AC6482@microsoft.com...
> Hi George.. thanks for the suggestions... yes I did upgrade to DirectX
9.0c
> via Windows website.. I have an HP 450n which says its a 3gig.. I'm not so
> sure its an audio onboard problem; I'm thinking maybe its a audio codec
> problem maybe? because if I upload the dv video to pc via avi, than burn
it
> directly to dvd and play it on my tv, I get the same high pitch background
> noise as I hear on the pc... also, I tried 2 different firewire cables,
and
> still get same high pitch noise when downloading via avi or mpeg2 format,
> which is the highest video resolution for capture, but no high pitch noise
> when downloading via regular mpeg or lower video res...
>
> "George Ellis" wrote:
>
> > There are two likely sources, the Firewire connection or the audio card.
If
> > you are confident that your Firewire connection is functioning
correctly,
> > look at the audio. If you are using the onboard audio, that might be
the
> > more likely issue. Get the latest chipset drivers for your audio. Is
this
> > machine slower than 1.6GHz (1.0 if AMD)? That could potentially
contribute
> > if the audio system is sub-par. A remedy might be adding a PCI audio
card
> > such as a Creative Labs Audigy, but check the audio drivers first!
> >
> > The latest DirectX is 9.0c, which is built into SP2. DXDIAG will list
the
> > version. I highly recommend 9.0c, which you may have ("updated
DirectX") as
> > you indicated, because it also includes the latest DX security patches.
> >
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:43:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

That was a great suggestion George, I looked at my audio driver and it needed
an update; unfortunately, it didn't fix the high pitch sound... I guess dv
download of 178 meg/sec is too fast for my audio codec to process maybe(?)...
but then again I wouldn't think so, I just bought this HP computer brand new
4 months ago, so I was expecting the latest and greatest hardware in it...
it's a 3 gig processor with 160 gig hardrive and 512 meg ram

I just looked at my pc's Device Manager... and the audio codec manufacturer
says its a standard system device... so maybe I need to upgrade my audio
codec maybe(?)... sorry, I'm not a desktop/pc guy, I'm a network guy at
work.... so I'm not sure if that may be the problem..

also on my audio codec properties window on the properties tab, the first
codec it uses is: IMA ADPCM Audio CODEC

...there's about 10 other listed audio codecs under that one, maybe I should
push one of the other codecs to the top maybe (?)... any other suggestions
would be welcome... thanks for replying George.

"George Ellis" wrote:

> Yes, this really sounds like a audio driver issue or a potential codec
> issue. Especially if varies based on format via firewire. The audio is
> usually processed through audio chipset. There are certain conditions like
> this where the audio will also get out of sync with the video while using
> firewire.
>
> Go to the HP site and go to the support page. You can enter your model
> number and get the downloads list for you computer. Download the latest
> audio driver and see if it corrects your problem.
>
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:07:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Then it may be the Firewire or the audio chipset itself. What card do you
have? Your system is fast enough to even capture an analog stream and
convert it to DV with software.

"rsnavarro98" <rsnavarro98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BABBD0CB-E87A-4A35-B563-241F845B7D54@microsoft.com...
> That was a great suggestion George, I looked at my audio driver and it
needed
> an update; unfortunately, it didn't fix the high pitch sound... I guess dv
> download of 178 meg/sec is too fast for my audio codec to process
maybe(?)...
> but then again I wouldn't think so, I just bought this HP computer brand
new
> 4 months ago, so I was expecting the latest and greatest hardware in it...
> it's a 3 gig processor with 160 gig hardrive and 512 meg ram
>
> I just looked at my pc's Device Manager... and the audio codec
manufacturer
> says its a standard system device... so maybe I need to upgrade my audio
> codec maybe(?)... sorry, I'm not a desktop/pc guy, I'm a network guy at
> work.... so I'm not sure if that may be the problem..
>
> also on my audio codec properties window on the properties tab, the first
> codec it uses is: IMA ADPCM Audio CODEC
>
> ..there's about 10 other listed audio codecs under that one, maybe I
should
> push one of the other codecs to the top maybe (?)... any other suggestions
> would be welcome... thanks for replying George.
>
> "George Ellis" wrote:
>
> > Yes, this really sounds like a audio driver issue or a potential codec
> > issue. Especially if varies based on format via firewire. The audio is
> > usually processed through audio chipset. There are certain conditions
like
> > this where the audio will also get out of sync with the video while
using
> > firewire.
> >
> > Go to the HP site and go to the support page. You can enter your model
> > number and get the downloads list for you computer. Download the latest
> > audio driver and see if it corrects your problem.
> >