Game compatibility under WinXP for 64-bit systems

Arcnite

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
I have a Athlon64 based system on the way to me. Ordered some parts off NewEgg and was going to throw it together then install WinXP pro, but I saw that there's a free beta for WinXP for 64-bit enhanced systems. I'm intrigued about installing this, but I'm worried about the compatibility issues. I was hoping to get some advice from all of you here as you may have tried this already. I'm a hardcore gamer, so my games have to work good.. very important. <b>My main ones right now are Battlefield Vietnam, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Horizons:Empires of Istaria. Do you think I'll have any problems with these?</b> Also, I've listed the components of my system, wondering if you all think I'll have any driver problems.

---------------------

MotherBoard: MSI - VIA K8T800 K8T NEO-FIS2R

*(This board comes with some cool features like, automatic clock adjustments (turn it down when the cpu is idle, and overclock a little when under stress), Temp and speed readouts from the board into software, etc... I really want to utilize these, do you think that running WinXP for 64-bit will inhibit those functions?

HD: 2x 80GB|SEAGATE SATA 150 (RAID configuration)

HD: 180GB 133EIDE (from my old system)

CPU: AMD 64 |3200+ ATHLON 64

RAM: 1GB (2x512) DDR PC333 (from my old system)

CASE: ASPIRE|XDREAMER

DVD Burner: LG: 4x DVD-+R, -+RW, DVDRam

CD Burner: BusLink (Lite-On) 52X CD-RW

Audio: Sounblaster Audigy

LAN: MB has built in Realtek

---------------------

So, I'd love some advice. Feel free to e-mail me directly at Arcnite@hotmail.com THANK YOU!

P.S. The system in my signature is my old system.

Mobo: Epox 8K7A+
CPU: AMD Athlon XP2200+
HD: WD 80GB
HD: WD 180GB SE
RAM: 2x512MB DDR 2100

dhlucke

Polypheme
It's Beta. That means it is not complete. Do you really want to be a guinnea pig?

<font color=red>___________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=39826#39826" target="_new">Sexual Poll!</A></b>

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Here's the scoop, the 64-bit beta version is generally faster-except for games. There arent really any 64-bit compatible video card drivers, so games run poorly compared to regular winXP home. So if the only reason to get the beta is for games, don't, if you want to just try it, u can do that. Btw, nice games you got, your gonna be set for fps's for a while, just got BF:V, its pretty cool.
Here's the tests http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.html?i=1961&p=4

Anxiously awaiting grantsdale...

Arcnite

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
Thanks! I knew the Gamers would come through for me. Windows XP pro it is. See you all in-game, look for me as Arcnite.

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
From what I understand, the free version (beta or whatever) of WinXP is handicaped because you can not install ANY windows-updates at all.

I would not touch it with a ten foot poll.
On the other hand, there is always Linux solution! :)