Sign in with
Your question

XP networking problems,

Tags:
  • Networking
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Networking
January 2, 2003 10:28:21 PM

I am attempting to network 2 Win XP Pro boxes connected through a hub which connects to a surfboard motorola modem. I can access the internet from both computers. I have the same workgroup names, have all the things correct, and I can *sometimes* map the network drives and share printers, but after about 10 minutes it says it can no longer locate the other system on the network. I have both drives and folders shared on each computer also. A friend of mine said it might be caused by the hub and possible collisions of information and recommended getting a switch. Would anyone else recommend this or have any other possible solutions or things i can try to fix this problem. Thanks alot.

More about : networking problems

January 3, 2003 8:34:36 AM

a hub should be fine for your setup. When you "lose" the connection next time, try pinging from each machine and see what the latency is, or if you're dropping packets.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
January 6, 2003 6:18:03 AM

I get this error message in my windows XP error log. Any suggestions??

Monday, December 23, 2002 MRxSmb The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer STEVE that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{7E1C3C88-DA03-492 A-80D. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Steve is the computer i'm trying to connect to. Thanks alot.
Related resources
January 6, 2003 10:06:22 AM

it could be a bad NIC. Could you try a different one?

January 6, 2003 12:19:16 PM

You are missing one major component: NAT(network address translation). A hub cannot be used to connect two computers to the internet through a cable modem because it cannot translate addresses. You can connect your cable modem to one computer, and use a second NIC to share the connection to the second computer(win ICS). But if you want to connect both computers to an external device, and that device to a cable modem, you need a router, not a network hub. Good luck!
January 6, 2003 1:47:39 PM

nice catch. I wonder, though, if the poster is running ICS? Otherwise, I can't believe I missed that.

January 6, 2003 4:39:30 PM

nahh, im not running any internet connection sharing or anything, however, just for the sake of argument, If they see each other for 10 minutes or so and I can print off of each other's printers, it HAS to be possible to set it up this way. I have had it set up this way before, just using a win2k/win98 setup. Is there something in XP that prevents me from doing the exact same thing I did with a win2k/win98 setup? I haven't changed out the nic cards, however i'll do that later today.
January 6, 2003 5:46:34 PM

is your ISP giving you 2 IP's?

January 7, 2003 3:27:29 AM

Yeah, I have RoadRunner via Time Warner. The surfboard modem we have automatically supports up to 3 ip's. I have 2 connected at this time, with 2 seperate ip's.
January 7, 2003 9:35:45 AM

OK, that explains it. So next time it happens can you try pinging the default gateway from both machines and report back?

!