Articles about production and lighting technique

WalterNY wrote:
> I have some articles that some may wish to read about lighting and
> production technique at
> http://www.bluesky-web.com/instruction.html
>
> Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Greetings Walter,

At first glance, I have to say that I found your webpage rather drab and
boring looking, however, after reading several articles you posted, I
have to say that you did an excellent job on the content.

Consider hiring a web designer/graphic artist to help bring out that
look? Just a suggestion.. Your knowledge speaks for itself though, and
this is worth placing a bookmark on for future reference.

Thanks
-Richard

> Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Very nice articles, I especially enjoyed the one about your experiences
on 9/11 as it's a subject that drives a lot of what I'm trying to do
with video. And thanks for not having your site driven by Flash as
filmand video's is, that site I can't navigate. What is your affiliation
with filmandvideo.com?

>At first glance, I have to say that I found your webpage rather drab
and
boring looking,

thanks for the comments Richard but frankly study after study shows
that folks who make glossy looking websites with animation and all
sorts of graphics loose their viewers long before those that simply
present information. Sorry to spoil it for all the web designers out
there, but then again they have a vested interest in telling folks
that flash animations and all the other junk bring about business. Not
true at all. The web is best when presented as a book where folks can
access information fast and easily. I have worked with many web
consulting companies that track actual usage and the hard fact is that
nothing beats a simple page on a white background to keep folks on
your site and namely to get them to read content. Some folks like to
walk around and tell everyone how they get 100 hits an hour, but ask
them how many seconds people stay o their site ands the answer is
usually, "i'll have to check".

>And thanks for not having your site driven by Flash as
>filmand video's is, that site I can't navigate.

See, a perfect example...

>What is your affiliation
with filmandvideo.com?

We have a number of companies involved in media production from
HellGate Pictures, Inc. to BlueSky Media inc. film-and-video.com is
simply one of our website names.

WalterNY wrote:

>>At first glance, I have to say that I found your webpage rather drab
>
> and
> boring looking,
>
> thanks for the comments Richard but frankly study after study shows
> that folks who make glossy looking websites with animation and all
> sorts of graphics loose their viewers long before those that simply
> present information. Sorry to spoil it for all the web designers out
> there, but then again they have a vested interest in telling folks
> that flash animations and all the other junk bring about business. Not
> true at all. The web is best when presented as a book where folks can
> access information fast and easily. I have worked with many web
> consulting companies that track actual usage and the hard fact is that
> nothing beats a simple page on a white background to keep folks on
> your site and namely to get them to read content. Some folks like to
> walk around and tell everyone how they get 100 hits an hour, but ask
> them how many seconds people stay o their site ands the answer is
> usually, "i'll have to check".

That's for the tip, but I'm sure like all studies are slightly skewed.
The study probably studied the average bad web site, where yes.. the
"graphics" were abused, and probably built by someone who was
technically capable of making a web site, but has never taken or studied
graphics art design in their life, as most web designers are!!

Simply knowing how to make a graphic layout, doesn't make you a graphic
designer..

A truly great web site, encompasses a lot of things, and does not bring
to the attention of the art used in building it. In other words it
encompasses design, layout, and functionality.

So if you think that it's only the "words" that sell something.. show me
one magazine, book, or advertisement that has only has words on the cover?

Case and point, After switching to a 100% Flash based web site, BMW's
Mini car webwsite, where customers can actually build their car, BMW
experienced a massive increase in Mini car sales. This is a true
testament to design though, as they made the site fun, and functional,
while hiding the fact that's its 100% flash based.

Thanks
-Richard