wondering about digital camcorders...

thinking about buying one...no idea where to start looking for info. looking
to spend around 1000$. do most come with editing software or is that
something i would have to buy as well?

thanks
kayren
2 answers Last reply
More about wondering digital camcorders

    kayren wrote:
    > thinking about buying one...no idea where to start looking for info.
    > looking to spend around 1000$.

    There are plenty of cameras at that price. For example the Nikon 5700 is
    at the end of its product life, and comes with a nice $150 rebate. There
    are other excellent cameras as well.

    Good info at www.imaging-resource.com and www.steves-digicams.com .

    > do most come with editing software or
    > is that something i would have to buy as well?

    Yes you will probably need to buy editing software, and this should be part
    of your initial budget. Photoshop is probably the most popular, and best,
    image editing program. But at $589 it might also probably be the most
    expensive program you have ever bought. There are cheaper alternatives that
    are also excellent, notably Paint Shop Pro, and PhotoPaint.

    There is also a freeware program called "The GIMP" that is serviceable, long
    on religious fervor and short on features such as layers, Lab and CMYK
    support.

    Photoshop Elements is an excellent compromise at under $100. Get the 3.0
    version of PS Elements as this includes Camera Raw, which provides more
    direct access to your camera's image data. I'd recommend that you have at
    least 1 gig of memory in your system. Memory often gives you more
    perfornace bang for the buck than CPU or hard drive performance.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com

    Oops - sorry Kayren. My previous post was related to digicams, not
    camcorders!
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com