XP does not recognize blank dvd

February 10, 2005 6:13:01 PM

Problem: Insert blank dvd-r and click on the drive properties and it says
the disk is full. Pinnacle thinks the drive is empty and tells me to insert
a blank dvd. Bottom line... I can't burn dvd anymore!

Debug: Burned two home movies to dvd-r (same lot of dvds) the day before.
Worked great. I have a Toshiba SD-R5112 (Mad Dog 4X burner). I also have an
NEC DV-5800A dvd player that came with my Dell desktop. This has to be a
software issue because both drives think the dvd-r is full if you insert
them. Inserting cd-r media works great... it recognizes the cd's as being
empty and ready to burn to.

Tried: reboot, reinstall of dvd decoder, removing useless Nero
Going to try: remove hardware + reinstall, swap master with current slave,

I'm not a computer genius so I don't know what else to do. Any help would be
appreciated. I've been all over the web and seen this problem but have never
found a solution.

More about : recognize blank dvd

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:19:03 AM

Are the DVD's used? If so it might have finalization data on it. Meaning, the
data tells the drive that the disc is full and that tells your computer that
also. Try Burning with Roxio. I hope that works.

"ctoro" wrote:

> Problem: Insert blank dvd-r and click on the drive properties and it says
> the disk is full. Pinnacle thinks the drive is empty and tells me to insert
> a blank dvd. Bottom line... I can't burn dvd anymore!
>
> Debug: Burned two home movies to dvd-r (same lot of dvds) the day before.
> Worked great. I have a Toshiba SD-R5112 (Mad Dog 4X burner). I also have an
> NEC DV-5800A dvd player that came with my Dell desktop. This has to be a
> software issue because both drives think the dvd-r is full if you insert
> them. Inserting cd-r media works great... it recognizes the cd's as being
> empty and ready to burn to.
>

> Tried: reboot, reinstall of dvd decoder, removing useless Nero
> Going to try: remove hardware + reinstall, swap master with current slave,
>
> I'm not a computer genius so I don't know what else to do. Any help would be
> appreciated. I've been all over the web and seen this problem but have never
> found a solution.

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:01:01 AM

I'm on XP home edition and i get this EXACT problem. I even went out an
bought a brand new burner thinking that maybe the old one just died.
Nada....new one gets the exact same error. I have uninstalled SP2, formatted
my HD, updated drivers.......NOTHING works.

"ctoro" wrote:

> I need to make a correction.
> The DVD Drive does not recognize a blank DVD as "full" rather it says "0
> Bytes". So it thinks nothing is in the drive.
>
> When I insert the blank dvd the drive description also changes from DVD-RW
> Drive (E:)  to CD Drive (E:)
>
> When I double click on the E: drive it pops up a warning box and says
> “E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.�
>
> What’s interesting is at the top of the warning window it says D:\ like it
> thinks the E drive is the D drive. Windows XP Pro is confused!

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:29:16 PM

If it recognizes an already burned DVD correctly then I would suggest the
blank media might be at fault. How many different brands have you tried?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

!