Videocards for AGP slot

Hi

Looking at tomshardware and a local priceinfo database I have found
these cards at a decent price ~ 1200 DKR
($200, £110, 160 EUR)

Asus Geforce N6600/TD
AOpen Aeolus 6600-DV256
Sapphire Hybrid X700

(All with 256Mb RAM)

Possible upgrading from a TI4200

Thanks/Peter

"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Looking at tomshardware and a local priceinfo database I have found
> these cards at a decent price ~ 1200 DKR
> ($200, £110, 160 EUR)
>
> Asus Geforce N6600/TD
> AOpen Aeolus 6600-DV256
> Sapphire Hybrid X700
>
> (All with 256Mb RAM)
>
> Possible upgrading from a TI4200
>
> Thanks/Peter

You *should* notice some improvement Peter. But the Ti4200 was
surprisingly fast, even against my venerable old Ti4600 it made a good
show. I do know that with a 6800GT you *WILL* see substantial
improvment! :eek:))) check out Anandtechs site and Toms hardware for
vidcard shootouts to see how the 6600GT performs in the games.
McG.

> "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Looking at tomshardware and a local priceinfo database I have found
>> these cards at a decent price ~ 1200 DKR
>> ($200, £110, 160 EUR)
>>
>> Asus Geforce N6600/TD
>> AOpen Aeolus 6600-DV256
>> Sapphire Hybrid X700
>>
>> (All with 256Mb RAM)
>>
>> Possible upgrading from a TI4200
>>
>> Thanks/Peter
>
> You *should* notice some improvement Peter. But the Ti4200 was
> surprisingly fast, even against my venerable old Ti4600 it made a good
> show. I do know that with a 6800GT you *WILL* see substantial
> improvment! :eek:))) check out Anandtechs site and Toms hardware for
> vidcard shootouts to see how the 6600GT performs in the games.
> McG.

The 6600 GT is probably the best bang for the AGP buck right now, but a
lot of people, including me, have had problems with it. I just sent mine
back for repair/replacement last week. It appears to need a lot more power
than advertised. A 350W PS wont' cut it, and even some 400W+ PS wont either
unless they have a lot of amps on the the 12v rail. There are also
overheating issues, lots of cheap heatsink/fan solutions were used here
across many brands on a card that needs a good cooling setup. There are
also compatibility issues with certain motherboard chip sets. (SIS, VIA)

I had enough power, no overheating, a a chipset with no reported issues
and still had problems. Probably just a lemon. Check out the Nvidia
message board for more info:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=26&prune_day=90&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all&st=50

And a post by Falcon which addresses all the issues with this card in one
nice convenient thread:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=1029&hl=

rjdriver wrote:

> The 6600 GT is probably the best bang for the AGP buck right
> now, but a lot of people, including me, have had problems with
> it. I just sent mine back for repair/replacement last week.
> It appears to need a lot more power than advertised.
> A 350W PS wont' cut it, and even some 400W+ PS wont either
> unless they have a lot of amps on the the 12v rail.

PSU is a Seasonic 400W (Super Tornado)

Give 0.8A on the 12v rail

Thanks for the info :)

Peter [AGHL] wrote:

> Give 0.8A on the 12v rail

Grumble too fast ("early" saturday morning)

+12V 22A
-12V 0.8A

- Peter

McGrandpa wrote:

> Now there are a few things there that I haven't seen in a.c.p.v.nvidia
> yet. though there are a lot of threads with 6600/6600GT problems.
> Maybe my $400 for my 6800GT was really well spent after all. Haven't
> had a single problem with it [touch wood!]. It just goes and it goes
> fast! :)

Anyone knows about the ATI X700?

I read some reviews comparing the 6600GT versus X700XT
The X700 beats the 6600GT on shaders - eg the jungle in FarCry
But the 6600GT is better overall eg texture loading
Though the card I am looking at is just the X700 version - not XT :(

I know it isn't 9800 standards, but it does not have to have be much
better than the 9600 Pro
Otherwise I might be facing two cards for $400 each instead of one card
for 200$
Kids! Grumble :)

Taking a bit of the future will the X700 be better than the 6600?
Looks like shadering is part of the future :)

> McGrandpa wrote:
>
>> Now there are a few things there that I haven't seen in a.c.p.v.nvidia
>> yet. though there are a lot of threads with 6600/6600GT problems.
>> Maybe my $400 for my 6800GT was really well spent after all. Haven't
>> had a single problem with it [touch wood!]. It just goes and it goes
>> fast! :)
>
> Anyone knows about the ATI X700?
>
> I read some reviews comparing the 6600GT versus X700XT
> The X700 beats the 6600GT on shaders - eg the jungle in FarCry
> But the 6600GT is better overall eg texture loading
> Though the card I am looking at is just the X700 version - not XT :(
>
> I know it isn't 9800 standards, but it does not have to have be much
> better than the 9600 Pro
> Otherwise I might be facing two cards for $400 each instead of one card
> for 200$
> Kids! Grumble :)
>
> Taking a bit of the future will the X700 be better than the 6600?
> Looks like shadering is part of the future :)
>
> thanks/Peter

I have been very happy with nVidia cards until the 6600 GT experience,
but if I can wrangle my money back out of Leadtek, the ATI X800 has been
looking like a nice sweet spot. Beats the 6600GT slightly in almost every
catagory. It's also slighlt higher priced at around $250.00, but it offers
256 MG ram whereas the 6600 GT so far is only avaialble in a 128 version.
I think you'll find the X700 a bit slower, and I'm not sure the XT has an
AGP version, but there is a Pro version. Here's a couple of intersting
comparisons by Anand:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2290&p=1 Reviews the X800 and
X850 lines.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2297&p=1 Head to head X700
Pro against 6600 GT

Bob

> rjdriver wrote:
>
>> The 6600 GT is probably the best bang for the AGP buck right
>> now, but a lot of people, including me, have had problems with
>> it. I just sent mine back for repair/replacement last week.
>> It appears to need a lot more power than advertised.
>> A 350W PS wont' cut it, and even some 400W+ PS wont either
>> unless they have a lot of amps on the the 12v rail.
>
> PSU is a Seasonic 400W (Super Tornado)
> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=774
>
> Give 0.8A on the 12v rail
>
> Thanks for the info :)

Oooh, good looking up there Peter. I think all the current crop of
cards from ATI and nVidia are looking for 1 amp or more min. You sure
you read the right one? Is that .8A for each drive power lead?
McG.

> Peter [AGHL] wrote:
>>
>> Give 0.8A on the 12v rail
>>
> Grumble too fast ("early" saturday morning)
>
> +12V 22A
> -12V 0.8A
>
> - Peter

Oh that looks much better!
McG.

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

My 6600GT has been sound. No issues at all since purchasing it, apart
from getting the correct drivers. All games have been great, HL2,
Farcry and CS:Source have been running excellent. :)

"Jimbob" <richard.burkinshaw@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My 6600GT has been sound. No issues at all since purchasing it, apart
> from getting the correct drivers. All games have been great, HL2,
> Farcry and CS:Source have been running excellent. :)

Send some time at the nVidia message board( link in my first post) looking
at the numerous 6600 GT complaints and you'll count yourself aming one of
the lucky.

Bob

Andrew

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:12:13 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net>
wrote:

>Send some time at the nVidia message board( link in my first post) looking
>at the numerous 6600 GT complaints and you'll count yourself aming one of
>the lucky.

I have one as well and have no problems with it.