DVD-R

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

When you burn a DVD-R that is not fully loaded, can it be played in your DVD
player? I burnt 2 DVD-R. One is 4.7GB another one is 3.5GB. The first one
can play well with my player while the second one can't. Both were authored
by same method (DVD Workshop), using same media (TDK) and can be played with
software player (WinDVD) on PC. Any idea why? Does DVD-R need to be closed
or finalized? If yes, what software can do this? Nero doesn't have this for
DVD.
10 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    <posted & mailed>

    Sender wrote:

    > When you burn a DVD-R that is not fully loaded, can it be played in your
    > DVD player?

    By "fully loaded", I assume you mean "I filled up all the space on the disk
    with data".

    > I burnt 2 DVD-R. One is 4.7GB another one is 3.5GB. The first
    > one can play well with my player while the second one can't. Both were
    > authored by same method (DVD Workshop), using same media (TDK) and can be
    > played with software player (WinDVD) on PC. Any idea why?

    It's really hard to say. There are so many things that can go awry that will
    make a disk unplyabale in a standalone player but still tolerated on a PC.

    > Does DVD-R need to be closed or finalized?

    DVD-R? Not necessarily. Video DVD, yes.

    DVD-R is simply the media. Whether you close the session or finalize the
    disk really depends on the application. However, video DVDs require the
    session to be closed.

    > If yes, what software can do this?

    Anything that writes DVD Video should.

    > Nero doesn't have this for DVD.

    I don't use Nero, but I'd be surprised if this were true.

    --
    remove .spam from address to reply by e-mail.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    we played around for the last year with DVD shrink and Nero using ritek
    disks and got okay, results then purchase DVD cloner at £35, one click job
    done, pay for software less hassle, don't get me wrong shrink is very good
    but and this is the but one click is less hassle, buy DVD cloner, enjoy.
    "Sender" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
    > When you burn a DVD-R that is not fully loaded, can it be played in your
    DVD
    > player? I burnt 2 DVD-R. One is 4.7GB another one is 3.5GB. The first one
    > can play well with my player while the second one can't. Both were
    authored
    > by same method (DVD Workshop), using same media (TDK) and can be played
    with
    > software player (WinDVD) on PC. Any idea why? Does DVD-R need to be closed
    > or finalized? If yes, what software can do this? Nero doesn't have this
    for
    > DVD.

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:53:45 GMT, James McIninch
    <james.mcininch@comcast.net.spam> wrote:

    >Sender wrote:

    >> Does DVD-R need to be closed or finalized?
    >
    >DVD-R? Not necessarily. Video DVD, yes.
    >
    >DVD-R is simply the media. Whether you close the session or finalize the
    >disk really depends on the application. However, video DVDs require the
    >session to be closed.
    >
    >> If yes, what software can do this?
    >
    >Anything that writes DVD Video should.
    >

    >> Nero doesn't have this for DVD.
    >
    >I don't use Nero, but I'd be surprised if this were true.

    Of course it does finalize the discs. Otherwise all the DVDs I have
    burned with Nero wouldn't play -and they certainly do.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "Sender" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
    > When you burn a DVD-R that is not fully loaded, can it be played in your
    DVD
    > player? I burnt 2 DVD-R. One is 4.7GB another one is 3.5GB.

    There is no way you can fit 4.7GB of data on a DVD-R... 4.35GB seems to be
    about the max...

    Tim

    I didn't mean Nero doesn't finalize the disc. I am saying Nero doesn't have
    a function purely to finalize an open disc. As I mentioned in my original
    post, I burnt two DVDs with nero, one OK and the other one not. I suspect
    that, somehow (don't know how) the failed one wasn't finalized. And I need
    to know whether any software that has a explicit function solely to finalize
    a disc. If I can find one, I can then apply it on my failed disc to rescue
    them.

    When I said burning DVD-R and play it on a DVD player, I do assume readers
    to understand that I am talking about video DVD.

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:52:15 +0800, "Sender" <sender@happy.net> wrote:

    >I didn't mean Nero doesn't finalize the disc. I am saying Nero doesn't have
    >a function purely to finalize an open disc.

    The last time I saw such a function, was in a Windows 3.1 software.
    Don't ask me why.

    > As I mentioned in my original
    >post, I burnt two DVDs with nero, one OK and the other one not. I suspect
    >that, somehow (don't know how) the failed one wasn't finalized. And I need
    >to know whether any software that has a explicit function solely to finalize
    >a disc.

    If you made a proper Dvd Video, it should be finalized. IOW, if it's
    not finalized, then probably it shall not work anyway, even if you
    finalize it, as it shall not be a proper Dvd Video. Anyway, I believe
    there must be newsgroups specific to CD/DVD, where you may want to
    ask.

    Is there a chance that the disc was not finalized because it hadn't large
    unused space? My failed disc only has about 3.5 GB, while the successful one
    has 4.7GB.

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:54:41 +0800, "Sender" <sender@happy.net> wrote:

    >Is there a chance that the disc was not finalized because it hadn't large
    >unused space? My failed disc only has about 3.5 GB, while the successful one
    >has 4.7GB.

    I don't think so. Otherwise, where's the limit for finalizing or not?

    It may be you burned it as a Data Dvd, which can be multisession or
    not, while you need to burn a Dvd Video (which would always be
    finalized, among other differences).
  9. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    I have a similar problem, I've burned a video film with Nero-6 on DVD-R,
    the DVD-player doesn't show any error but the screen stays black and
    information
    button shows that the DVD has 0/0 chapters. But I can see all files in a PC
    drive and play them file
    by file. It looks like that nero didn't finalize or lead-in lead-out
    something is missing.
    Is there any tool that can analyze and fix this kind of problems?

    Thanks much
    Kadir

    "Sender" <sender@happy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > When you burn a DVD-R that is not fully loaded, can it be played in your
    DVD
    > player? I burnt 2 DVD-R. One is 4.7GB another one is 3.5GB. The first one
    > can play well with my player while the second one can't. Both were
    authored
    > by same method (DVD Workshop), using same media (TDK) and can be played
    with
    > software player (WinDVD) on PC. Any idea why? Does DVD-R need to be closed
    > or finalized? If yes, what software can do this? Nero doesn't have this
    for
    > DVD.

  10. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:18:18 +0200, "John Moor" <John.moor@gmx.net>
    wrote:

    >I have a similar problem, I've burned a video film with Nero-6 on DVD-R,
    >the DVD-player doesn't show any error but the screen stays black and
    >information button shows that the DVD has 0/0 chapters. But I can see
    >all files in a PC drive and play them file by file.

    So, here's the obvious first question: did you burn it as a
    DVD Video disc, with the files in the VIDEO_TS folder, or did you just
    burn it as a DVD-ROM disc?
    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!

Tuner Cards DVD DVD Writers Software Graphics