WMP 10 Requires constant fiddling with Advanced Performanc..

February 11, 2005 9:45:02 PM

I seem to have a bit of trouble playing .avi files on WMP10. Almost
invariably when I leave it on default settings, I get choppy video or green
screen after about 30 seconds of full screen play. If I switch off overlays
and use high quality mode, I can play most avi files, however it's still
pretty hit and miss. I find switching the high quality mode on or off
(depending if it is already on or off) usually works for the duration of the
video. If this doesn't work then I have to turn off the mixing renderer.

My computer is a TBird 1.3/256MB/128MB GeForce FX5500OC on a 4x AGP slot. I
have downloaded pretty much every avi codec I can find, including xvid, divx,
and 3ivx. The Grafx Card was a recent upgrade, and I don't recall having a
similar problem before the swap. The previous card was a 64MB GeForce2 MX400.
February 21, 2005 4:17:11 AM

Anyone? Any ideas?

"Ernie" wrote:

> I seem to have a bit of trouble playing .avi files on WMP10. Almost
> invariably when I leave it on default settings, I get choppy video or green
> screen after about 30 seconds of full screen play. If I switch off overlays
> and use high quality mode, I can play most avi files, however it's still
> pretty hit and miss. I find switching the high quality mode on or off
> (depending if it is already on or off) usually works for the duration of the
> video. If this doesn't work then I have to turn off the mixing renderer.
>
> My computer is a TBird 1.3/256MB/128MB GeForce FX5500OC on a 4x AGP slot. I
> have downloaded pretty much every avi codec I can find, including xvid, divx,
> and 3ivx. The Grafx Card was a recent upgrade, and I don't recall having a
> similar problem before the swap. The previous card was a 64MB GeForce2 MX400.
February 22, 2005 2:49:15 PM

I will try uninstalling to see if it works, but this seems to be a problem
with the player itself.

According to GSpot, I have 5 video and 2 audio codecs that should have no
problem playing these files. Additionally, when I try to play these files
from a CD (My backup copy) I get a "Disc is dirty or damaged" message. It
doesn't happen every time, and sometimes if I restart WMP, they will play
thru. But they are freshly burnt, and certainly not dirty or damaged. What
gives?

"Ernie" wrote:

> I seem to have a bit of trouble playing .avi files on WMP10. Almost
> invariably when I leave it on default settings, I get choppy video or green
> screen after about 30 seconds of full screen play. If I switch off overlays
> and use high quality mode, I can play most avi files, however it's still
> pretty hit and miss. I find switching the high quality mode on or off
> (depending if it is already on or off) usually works for the duration of the
> video. If this doesn't work then I have to turn off the mixing renderer.
>
> My computer is a TBird 1.3/256MB/128MB GeForce FX5500OC on a 4x AGP slot. I
> have downloaded pretty much every avi codec I can find, including xvid, divx,
> and 3ivx. The Grafx Card was a recent upgrade, and I don't recall having a
> similar problem before the swap. The previous card was a 64MB GeForce2 MX400.
February 22, 2005 3:11:01 PM

I tried uninstalling WMP 10. It would not roll back. Then I tried
completely removing WMP and installng WMP 9. WMP 9 won't install. So, now
what?

"Ernie" wrote:

> I seem to have a bit of trouble playing .avi files on WMP10. Almost
> invariably when I leave it on default settings, I get choppy video or green
> screen after about 30 seconds of full screen play. If I switch off overlays
> and use high quality mode, I can play most avi files, however it's still
> pretty hit and miss. I find switching the high quality mode on or off
> (depending if it is already on or off) usually works for the duration of the
> video. If this doesn't work then I have to turn off the mixing renderer.
>
> My computer is a TBird 1.3/256MB/128MB GeForce FX5500OC on a 4x AGP slot. I
> have downloaded pretty much every avi codec I can find, including xvid, divx,
> and 3ivx. The Grafx Card was a recent upgrade, and I don't recall having a
> similar problem before the swap. The previous card was a 64MB GeForce2 MX400.
February 22, 2005 4:33:26 PM

This version of Windows Media Technologies is incompatible with this version
of Windows. For more information, view the information at the Microsoft web
site.

Above is the message I get when I try to install WMP 9 or WMP 10 now. I get
the option to cancel or view details. Details brings up Help and Support,
which redirects me to a web page, where I can supposedly find information
regarding the problem. In reality, Help and Support redirects me to the
Windows Media Player download center, where I can attempt to install WMP 9 or
10 and get the same message again.

I neglected to mention, I have XP Pro SP2. I also had WMP 10 before. And
now it's not compatible? I'm starting to think Gentoo Linux is a REALLY good
idea.
February 22, 2005 6:22:25 PM

Why dont you uninstall it? I did without any problems so far. Am back to
WMP9 which behaved much better.

From Control Panel go to Add Remove Programs
Make sure the "Show WIndows Updates" check box on top is selected.
Locate WMP10 under windows updates and uninstall.

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for Windows Movie Maker

"Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 0B80524-1D04-4CE6-A416-4C3CF089BE73@microsoft.com...
> Anyone? Any ideas?
>
> "Ernie" wrote:
>
>> I seem to have a bit of trouble playing .avi files on WMP10. Almost
>> invariably when I leave it on default settings, I get choppy video or
>> green
>> screen after about 30 seconds of full screen play. If I switch off
>> overlays
>> and use high quality mode, I can play most avi files, however it's still
>> pretty hit and miss. I find switching the high quality mode on or off
>> (depending if it is already on or off) usually works for the duration of
>> the
>> video. If this doesn't work then I have to turn off the mixing renderer.
>>
>> My computer is a TBird 1.3/256MB/128MB GeForce FX5500OC on a 4x AGP slot.
>> have downloaded pretty much every avi codec I can find, including xvid,
>> divx,
>> and 3ivx. The Grafx Card was a recent upgrade, and I don't recall having
>> similar problem before the swap. The previous card was a 64MB GeForce2
>> MX400.
February 23, 2005 4:14:42 PM

are you sure it's media player10 that is causing the problem????
try going start/run and type in mplayer2 this will run old faithful
media palyer 6.4, if you have a problem with this it's probably another
problem with your PC

Ernie wrote:

> Anyone? Any ideas?
>
> "Ernie" wrote:
>

>>I seem to have a bit of trouble playing .avi files on WMP10. Almost
>>invariably when I leave it on default settings, I get choppy video or green
>>screen after about 30 seconds of full screen play. If I switch off overlays
>>and use high quality mode, I can play most avi files, however it's still
>>pretty hit and miss. I find switching the high quality mode on or off
>>(depending if it is already on or off) usually works for the duration of the
>>video. If this doesn't work then I have to turn off the mixing renderer.
>>
>>My computer is a TBird 1.3/256MB/128MB GeForce FX5500OC on a 4x AGP slot. I
>>have downloaded pretty much every avi codec I can find, including xvid, divx,
>>and 3ivx. The Grafx Card was a recent upgrade, and I don't recall having a
>>similar problem before the swap. The previous card was a 64MB GeForce2 MX400.
February 23, 2005 4:14:43 PM

Did you read the rest of my posts? 6.4 won't play anything anyway. It tries
to download codecs and then basically tells me its useless. (No suprise) I
had WMP 10 working fine. As I said previously, GSpot tells me I have *FIVE*
codecs capable of playing the file in question, including divx, 3ivx, and
xvid. I tried rolling back to WMP 9, but for some reason could not complete
the roll back. I then deleted the contents of the C:\Program Files\Windows
Media Player\ directory so I could start fresh. Now, when I try to reinstall
10 or install 9, It tells me that they aren't compatible with my version of
Windows. So, first I need to fix that before I worry about the playback
problems.

"Darkknight" wrote:

> are you sure it's media player10 that is causing the problem????
> try going start/run and type in mplayer2 this will run old faithful
> media palyer 6.4, if you have a problem with this it's probably another
> problem with your PC
>
> Ernie wrote:
>
> > Anyone? Any ideas?
> >
> > "Ernie" wrote:
> >

> >>I seem to have a bit of trouble playing .avi files on WMP10. Almost
> >>invariably when I leave it on default settings, I get choppy video or green
> >>screen after about 30 seconds of full screen play. If I switch off overlays
> >>and use high quality mode, I can play most avi files, however it's still
> >>pretty hit and miss. I find switching the high quality mode on or off
> >>(depending if it is already on or off) usually works for the duration of the
> >>video. If this doesn't work then I have to turn off the mixing renderer.
> >>
> >>My computer is a TBird 1.3/256MB/128MB GeForce FX5500OC on a 4x AGP slot. I
> >>have downloaded pretty much every avi codec I can find, including xvid, divx,
> >>and 3ivx. The Grafx Card was a recent upgrade, and I don't recall having a
> >>similar problem before the swap. The previous card was a 64MB GeForce2 MX400.

February 23, 2005 4:47:01 PM

Sorry to lead you into this situation... Can you use System Restore to go
back to a working state?

Deleting the files rather than uninstalling properly is never a good idea
but it should still not land you into this strange sitution as what u
describe...

--

> This version of Windows Media Technologies is incompatible with this
> version
> of Windows. For more information, view the information at the Microsoft
> web
> site.
>
> Above is the message I get when I try to install WMP 9 or WMP 10 now. I
> get
> the option to cancel or view details. Details brings up Help and Support,
> which redirects me to a web page, where I can supposedly find information
> regarding the problem. In reality, Help and Support redirects me to the
> Windows Media Player download center, where I can attempt to install WMP 9
> or
> 10 and get the same message again.
>
> I neglected to mention, I have XP Pro SP2. I also had WMP 10 before. And
> now it's not compatible? I'm starting to think Gentoo Linux is a REALLY
> good
> idea.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:33:01 AM

Try getting more RAM in your computer, at least 128MB's more. You could go to
www.crucial.com, find your system there, and buy another chip for it.

"Ernie" wrote:

> I seem to have a bit of trouble playing .avi files on WMP10. Almost
> invariably when I leave it on default settings, I get choppy video or green
> screen after about 30 seconds of full screen play. If I switch off overlays
> and use high quality mode, I can play most avi files, however it's still
> pretty hit and miss. I find switching the high quality mode on or off
> (depending if it is already on or off) usually works for the duration of the
> video. If this doesn't work then I have to turn off the mixing renderer.
>
> My computer is a TBird 1.3/256MB/128MB GeForce FX5500OC on a 4x AGP slot. I
> have downloaded pretty much every avi codec I can find, including xvid, divx,
> and 3ivx. The Grafx Card was a recent upgrade, and I don't recall having a
> similar problem before the swap. The previous card was a 64MB GeForce2 MX400.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:41:05 AM

In this case System Resore WILL help you by changing you back to Win. Player
10. But what you said towards the end that you are having problems win player
9 installing, I had the same problem myself. Just reinstall 10 from
Microsoft's website. It will fix the problem. But also system restore can
help you as well

!