free program for converting AVI to MPEG

What good tools are there for converting AVI-files to MPEG (that give a
good output quality), and any of them that are free?

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

Josef Garvi wrote:

> What good tools are there for converting AVI-files to MPEG (that give a
> good output quality), and any of them that are free?
>
> --
> Josef Garvi
>
> "Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
> http://www.eden-foundation.org/
>
> new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

If you find one, let me know.

Otherwise, Ulead DVD Movie Factory is very cheap and has a good mpeg
encoder. And you man make DVDs with it too. LOL!

Lazarus

tmpg enocoder

Josef Garvi wrote:

> What good tools are there for converting AVI-files to MPEG (that give a
> good output quality), and any of them that are free?

Quicktime Pro does this.. but.. not free sorry. (20 bucks)

-Richard

Lazarus wrote:

> tmpg enocoder

Right but it doesn't do mpeg-2 for free.

> "Josef Garvi" <josef@eden-foundation.org> wrote in message
> > What good tools are there for converting AVI-files to MPEG (that give a
> > good output quality), and any of them that are free?
> >
> > --
> > Josef Garvi
> >
> > "Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
> > http://www.eden-foundation.org/
> >
> > new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

RIght, but the OP didn't specify MPEG-2 now did he?

Keith Clark wrote:

>Lazarus wrote:
>
>> tmpg enocoder
>>

>Right but it doesn't do mpeg-2 for free.
>

>> "Josef Garvi" <josef@eden-foundation.org> wrote in message
>> > What good tools are there for converting AVI-files to MPEG (that give a
>> > good output quality), and any of them that are free?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Josef Garvi
>> >
>> > "Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
>> > http://www.eden-foundation.org/
>> >
>> > new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

Lazarus

does if u hack the registry

Lazarus wrote:

> does if u hack the registry

OK, so you're advocating theft?

> "Keith Clark" <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Lazarus wrote:
> >
> > > tmpg enocoder
> > >

> > Right but it doesn't do mpeg-2 for free.
> >

> > > "Josef Garvi" <josef@eden-foundation.org> wrote in message

> > does if u hack the registry
> >

> OK, so you're advocating theft?

I'm against stealing as much as any honest person but I don't consider a
registry hack stealing. I don't think many other people do either.

Morrmar wrote:

> > > does if u hack the registry
> > >

> > OK, so you're advocating theft?
>
> I'm against stealing as much as any honest person but I don't consider a
> registry hack stealing. I don't think many other people do either.

You're hacking the registry to avoid paying, yes?

If it's not theft, what is it?

> > > OK, so you're advocating theft?
> >
> > I'm against stealing as much as any honest person but I don't
consider a
> > registry hack stealing. I don't think many other people do either.
>
> You're hacking the registry to avoid paying, yes?

Now I'm not familar with the s/w but I wouldn't be doing it to avoid
paying for s/w, I would've _already_ paid for it.

> If it's not theft, what is it?

A user performance enhancement. I view stealing as not paying for
something, not paying for something and then making it better yourself.

"Morrmar" wrote ...

> > > I'm against stealing as much as any honest person but I don't
> consider a
> > > registry hack stealing. I don't think many other people do either.
> >
> > You're hacking the registry to avoid paying, yes?
>
> Now I'm not familar with the s/w but I wouldn't be doing it to avoid
> paying for s/w, I would've _already_ paid for it.

Lots of software is distributed along with other products or
even free, but legal use requires a paid license. Just because
you posses a copy of something does not mean you have legal
use of it.

> > If it's not theft, what is it?
>
> A user performance enhancement. I view stealing as not paying for
> something, not paying for something and then making it better yourself.

Can you say "rationalization"? There are things (like MPEG
encoders) that REQUIRE separate licensing by their owners.
The people that distribute software that use these encoders
have no choice, even if their software is free.

On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:03:29 -0700) it happened David Chien
<chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in <c6c0av$l2f$1@news.service.uci.edu>:

>>>Right but it doesn't do mpeg-2 for free.
>
>http://members.cox.net/beyeler/bbmpeg.html
>free.
Linux transcode.
JP

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:27:45 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>Lots of software is distributed along with other products or
>even free, but legal use requires a paid license. Just because
>you posses a copy of something does not mean you have legal
>use of it.

The "hacking" of the Registry that allows you to use mpeg-2 encoding
from Tmgpenc, may be ethically debatable, but I bet it is legal. You
are not doing any reverse engineering, nor violating any terms; you
are just doing things with your Registry. Is it legal that you delete
the Registry, or that you modify any of its entries? Of course, it is
legal. I have never read any License on Registry use.

Lazarus

Do you know the story behind TMPG?

Hori-san Tsunami wanted the program to always be free until the big boys
stepped in and demanded a license fee for the mpeg2 codec.

So what Hori-san done was give a 30 day trial ()which was legal) and then he
brought out a new version every 30 days!

So I doubt very very much if the program writer would consider it stealing.

Where do you think the reg hack might have come from in the first place.

Lazarus wrote:

> Do you know the story behind TMPG?
>
> Hori-san Tsunami wanted the program to always be free until the big boys
> stepped in and demanded a license fee for the mpeg2 codec.

I assume that means that there aren't any real free mpeg2 encoders.... :-(
(which shows why we shouldn't have software patents)

Any opinions on the quality of the commercial ones?
For example, how does TMPG compare to the ones in Adobe Premiere and
Pinnacle Studio?

--

Richard Ragon wrote:
> Josef Garvi wrote:
>
>> What good tools are there for converting AVI-files to MPEG (that give
>> a good output quality), and any of them that are free?
>

> Quicktime Pro does this.. but.. not free sorry. (20 bucks)

I checked, but could only see MPEG4 (at a resolution of 320x240). Maybe I
should specify that I'm looking for MPEG2 - it's to create VCDs or DVDs
from our footage.

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:11:08 +0200, Josef Garvi
<josef@eden-foundation.org> wrote:

>I'm looking for MPEG2 - it's to create VCDs or DVDs
>from our footage.

VCDs are mpeg-1, for which there are several free encoders -Tmpgenc,
to begin with. DVDs can be 352x240 (288 for PAL) mpeg-1, or mpeg-2 at
that resolution and higher ones. If you need the higher resolutions,
then you need an mpeg-2 encoder; otherwise, you are fine with an
mpeg-1 one. The higher the resolution, the higher the quality, of
course. You would need to decide by yourself if you are content with
the quality of 352x240 mpeg-1, or if you need something better.

Bariloche wrote:

> VCDs are mpeg-1, for which there are several free encoders -Tmpgenc,
> to begin with. DVDs can be 352x240 (288 for PAL) mpeg-1, or mpeg-2 at
> that resolution and higher ones. If you need the higher resolutions,
> then you need an mpeg-2 encoder; otherwise, you are fine with an
> mpeg-1 one. The higher the resolution, the higher the quality, of
> course. You would need to decide by yourself if you are content with
> the quality of 352x240 mpeg-1, or if you need something better.

I am indeed looking for the higher resolution (720x...).
The VCDs will be good for persons not being able to play DVD-Rs on their
computers.

--

Josef Garvi wrote:

> Bariloche wrote:
>
> > VCDs are mpeg-1, for which there are several free encoders -Tmpgenc,
> > to begin with. DVDs can be 352x240 (288 for PAL) mpeg-1, or mpeg-2 at
> > that resolution and higher ones. If you need the higher resolutions,
> > then you need an mpeg-2 encoder; otherwise, you are fine with an
> > mpeg-1 one. The higher the resolution, the higher the quality, of
> > course. You would need to decide by yourself if you are content with
> > the quality of 352x240 mpeg-1, or if you need something better.
>
> I am indeed looking for the higher resolution (720x...).
> The VCDs will be good for persons not being able to play DVD-Rs on their
> computers.
>
> --
> Josef Garvi
>
> "Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
> http://www.eden-foundation.org/
>
> new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

Taking this to the next step, how do you plan to actually create (author)
the DVDs?

Do you have a free program for that?

Probably not unless you're using Linux.

Since you're going to have to buy a DVD burning program anyway, why not just
shell out the fifty bucks for the Ulead DVD Movie Factory which does a very
decent job converting DV AVI files to mpeg-2?

Hi,
Why not try the shareware WinAVI Video Converter
http://www.winavi.com/video-converter.htm. In fact, it can convert AVI
to MPEG only in 15 minutes with stunning video quality! Please have a
try!
Lily

Keith Clark <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<409016AA.7625BE10@hotmail.com>...
> Josef Garvi wrote:
>
> > Bariloche wrote:
> >
> > > VCDs are mpeg-1, for which there are several free encoders -Tmpgenc,
> > > to begin with. DVDs can be 352x240 (288 for PAL) mpeg-1, or mpeg-2 at
> > > that resolution and higher ones. If you need the higher resolutions,
> > > then you need an mpeg-2 encoder; otherwise, you are fine with an
> > > mpeg-1 one. The higher the resolution, the higher the quality, of
> > > course. You would need to decide by yourself if you are content with
> > > the quality of 352x240 mpeg-1, or if you need something better.
> >
> > I am indeed looking for the higher resolution (720x...).
> > The VCDs will be good for persons not being able to play DVD-Rs on their
> > computers.
> >
> > --
> > Josef Garvi
> >
> > "Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
> > http://www.eden-foundation.org/
> >
> > new income - better environment - more food - less poverty
>
> Taking this to the next step, how do you plan to actually create (author)
> the DVDs?
>
> Do you have a free program for that?
>
> Probably not unless you're using Linux.
>
> Since you're going to have to buy a DVD burning program anyway, why not just
> shell out the fifty bucks for the Ulead DVD Movie Factory which does a very
> decent job converting DV AVI files to mpeg-2?

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:18:50 +0200, Josef Garvi
<josef@eden-foundation.org> wrote:

>I am indeed looking for the higher resolution (720x...).

Allright, just take into account the resolution you start with. For
VHS material, for instance, many of us prefer 360x480 (576 for PAL),
as being closer to the actual quality of the source.

Now, for a free program, there is Bbmpeg,

http://members.cox.net/beyeler/bbmpeg.html

and believe ffmpeg can do the same. Linux users may talk you more
about it.