Jagged edges when capturing movie from digital camera

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Hi everybody,

I am trying to use my Sony DCR-PC9 digital camcorder to digitize old Hi8
tapes and save the movies on dvd. As an intermediate step I save the
captured stream in uncompressed AVI format on the hard drive - for some
reason I couldn't set up my system to use HuffYUV compression.

The resulting picture is ok if there is not too much movement, but for more
dynamic scenes, the edges become jagged. Is this due to the compression done
by the camcorder, or the capture process on the computer? And how can I get
rid of it? Would a video capture card work better than a digital camcorder?
Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian wrote:

> The resulting picture is ok if there is not too much movement, but for more
> dynamic scenes, the edges become jagged. Is this due to the compression done
> by the camcorder, or the capture process on the computer? And how can I get
> rid of it? Would a video capture card work better than a digital camcorder?
> Any recommendations?

That's normal. It's interlacing.
http://www.100fps.com

-WD