Random crashes in DM

Have any of you guys experienced a crash whilst playing DM, where the
display freezes, the sound goes into a loop and the only way out is
the reset button?
I wouldn't have said it was heat or psu related because it can happen
from a few minutes to over an hour into a game, or sometimes not at
all - plus, it's bloody hot here in the uk and it *was* running for an
hour before it crashed. Whilst on the subject of heat, I have noticed
that the graphics card gets hot to the point that I wouldn't be able
to keep a fingertip on the ram chips indefinitely when running 3d
mode!
Any help muchos appreciatos....

Spec:
A64 3200
1G Corsair pc3200
Abit av8
9800 pro + arctic cooler on max speed
Tried cats 4.12 and 5.5, no difference

--
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> Have any of you guys experienced a crash whilst playing DM, where the
> display freezes, the sound goes into a loop and the only way out is
> the reset button?
> I wouldn't have said it was heat or psu related because it can happen
> from a few minutes to over an hour into a game, or sometimes not at
> all - plus, it's bloody hot here in the uk and it *was* running for an
> hour before it crashed. Whilst on the subject of heat, I have noticed
> that the graphics card gets hot to the point that I wouldn't be able
> to keep a fingertip on the ram chips indefinitely when running 3d
> mode!
> Any help muchos appreciatos....
>
> Spec:
> A64 3200
> 1G Corsair pc3200
> Abit av8
> 9800 pro + arctic cooler on max speed
> Tried cats 4.12 and 5.5, no difference

I've just today started having the same thing happen. Only way out is
RESET on the front panel. I can hear XP making the crashing programs
sound...several times. It isn't just HL2DM. Something else is shutting
it down hard. Are you also running Zone Alarm? AVG Pro 7? Trojan
Hunter 4?
McG.

Take a look at the capacitors on your motherboard - see if there's
residue beneath them. Also, check your temps with aida32....

Civilian_Target

Steve Evans wrote:
> Have any of you guys experienced a crash whilst playing DM, where the
> display freezes, the sound goes into a loop and the only way out is
> the reset button?
> I wouldn't have said it was heat or psu related because it can happen
> from a few minutes to over an hour into a game, or sometimes not at
> all - plus, it's bloody hot here in the uk and it *was* running for an
> hour before it crashed. Whilst on the subject of heat, I have noticed
> that the graphics card gets hot to the point that I wouldn't be able
> to keep a fingertip on the ram chips indefinitely when running 3d
> mode!
> Any help muchos appreciatos....
>
> Spec:
> A64 3200
> 1G Corsair pc3200
> Abit av8
> 9800 pro + arctic cooler on max speed
> Tried cats 4.12 and 5.5, no difference

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> Have any of you guys experienced a crash whilst playing DM, where the
> display freezes, the sound goes into a loop and the only way out is
> the reset button?
>
> Spec:
> A64 3200
> 1G Corsair pc3200
> Abit av8
> 9800 pro + arctic cooler on max speed
> Tried cats 4.12 and 5.5, no difference

I have a similar spec to you and the same problem. Do you have a
Soundblaster sound card? There's a suggestion on Steam's support pages that
this behaviour can be caused if you have a SB card in PCI slot too far from
the video card, i.e. move it to slot 1 or 2. Having said that, I tried this
and it didn't resolve it for me :( If you do get a solution please post
it!!! Out of interest how often does the problem happen on your PC?

Gary

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:36:27 GMT, "Gary" <neverreadthis@email.co.uk>
wrote:

>"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
>> Have any of you guys experienced a crash whilst playing DM, where the
>> display freezes, the sound goes into a loop and the only way out is
>> the reset button?
>>
>> Spec:
>> A64 3200
>> 1G Corsair pc3200
>> Abit av8
>> 9800 pro + arctic cooler on max speed
>> Tried cats 4.12 and 5.5, no difference
>
>I have a similar spec to you and the same problem. Do you have a
>Soundblaster sound card? There's a suggestion on Steam's support pages that
>this behaviour can be caused if you have a SB card in PCI slot too far from
>the video card, i.e. move it to slot 1 or 2. Having said that, I tried this
>and it didn't resolve it for me :( If you do get a solution please post
>it!!! Out of interest how often does the problem happen on your PC?
>
>Gary

I *have* a soundblaster but it's sitting on the shelf now that I have
onboard AC97 sound. Experienced the problem again today, and that's
with an older nvidia card - the 9800 gave up last week, probably due
to the scorching weather we've had in the UK :/

--

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:36:27 GMT, "Gary" <neverreadthis@email.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>>"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
>>> Have any of you guys experienced a crash whilst playing DM, where the
>>> display freezes, the sound goes into a loop and the only way out is
>>> the reset button?
>>>
>>> Spec:
>>> A64 3200
>>> 1G Corsair pc3200
>>> Abit av8
>>> 9800 pro + arctic cooler on max speed
>>> Tried cats 4.12 and 5.5, no difference
>>
>>I have a similar spec to you and the same problem. Do you have a
>>Soundblaster sound card? There's a suggestion on Steam's support pages
>>that
>>this behaviour can be caused if you have a SB card in PCI slot too far
>>from
>>the video card, i.e. move it to slot 1 or 2. Having said that, I tried
>>this
>>and it didn't resolve it for me :( If you do get a solution please post
>>it!!! Out of interest how often does the problem happen on your PC?
>>
>>Gary
>>

> I *have* a soundblaster but it's sitting on the shelf now that I have
> onboard AC97 sound. Experienced the problem again today, and that's
> with an older nvidia card - the 9800 gave up last week, probably due
> to the scorching weather we've had in the UK :/

I'm curious, what is _scorching_ in the UK?

> --
> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

shawk

"KCB" <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> wrote in message

> "Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:36:27 GMT, "Gary" <neverreadthis@email.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message

>>>I have a similar spec to you and the same problem. Do you have a
>>>Soundblaster sound card? There's a suggestion on Steam's support pages
>>>that
>>>this behaviour can be caused if you have a SB card in PCI slot too far
>>>from
>>>the video card, i.e. move it to slot 1 or 2. Having said that, I tried
>>>this
>>>and it didn't resolve it for me :( If you do get a solution please post
>>>it!!! Out of interest how often does the problem happen on your PC?
>>>
>>>Gary
>>>

>> I *have* a soundblaster but it's sitting on the shelf now that I have
>> onboard AC97 sound. Experienced the problem again today, and that's
>> with an older nvidia card - the 9800 gave up last week, probably due
>> to the scorching weather we've had in the UK :/
>
> I'm curious, what is _scorching_ in the UK?
>

>> --
>> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

30 degrees LOL :)