Power Problem with Olympus C700

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
November 6, 2004 10:36:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries and
battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)

I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
more picture, maybe not.

I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact points
are all good & clean. No change in performance.

Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act the
same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the camera,
I know that for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Fred
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 10:36:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:36:29 GMT, "Fred"
<testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:

>I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
>a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries and
>battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)
>
>I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
>ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
>circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
>charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
>open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
>more picture, maybe not.
>
>I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
>contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact points
>are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
>Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act the
>same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the camera,
>I know that for sure.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Fred

My experience...
I started with a D-600L. It exhibited the same problems you describe
exactly. Olympus fixed it under warranty.I have a C3030Z. It does the
same thing. It's obviously out of warranty, and it's been replaced (by
a Canon A75, as a second camera, and the one my wife uses).
I bought a C4000Z to replace the 3030, and it failed as above under
warranty; Oly fixed it under warranty. It failed again, Oly *said*
they fixed it, but it did the same thing when I got it back. I gave it
away.
I bought a Digital Rebel, and have been very happy with it.

I believe Oly has a problem with their power systems on the PCB. I've
seen others with the same problems, and threads about this problem
come up here, too.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
November 7, 2004 7:38:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Thanks Bill. Great to know this.

"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:36:29 GMT, "Fred"
> <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:
>
> >I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
FIXED
> >a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries
and
> >battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)
> >
> >I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> >ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> >circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> >charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> >open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> >more picture, maybe not.
> >
> >I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> >contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
points
> >are all good & clean. No change in performance.
> >
> >Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
the
> >same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
camera,
> >I know that for sure.
> >
> >Thanks in advance!
> >
> >Fred
> >
> My experience...
> I started with a D-600L. It exhibited the same problems you describe
> exactly. Olympus fixed it under warranty.I have a C3030Z. It does the
> same thing. It's obviously out of warranty, and it's been replaced (by
> a Canon A75, as a second camera, and the one my wife uses).
> I bought a C4000Z to replace the 3030, and it failed as above under
> warranty; Oly fixed it under warranty. It failed again, Oly *said*
> they fixed it, but it did the same thing when I got it back. I gave it
> away.
> I bought a Digital Rebel, and have been very happy with it.
>
> I believe Oly has a problem with their power systems on the PCB. I've
> seen others with the same problems, and threads about this problem
> come up here, too.
>
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"
November 7, 2004 1:47:08 PM

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
>I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
> a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries
> and
> battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)
>
> I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> more picture, maybe not.
>
> I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
> points
> are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
> Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
> the
> same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
> camera,
> I know that for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

To establish whether the batteries are being drained by an internal fault
you need to place the batteries in an external battery holder and connect
them to the camera by a couple of insulated wires with miniature crocdile
clips on each end. Place a meter in seies with one of thes wires to measure
the current drawn from the batteries. I am guessing, but when the camera is
off the current should be zero, and in standby probably no more than say 100
to 200 milliamps (0.1 to 0.2 amp).

Not sure of your skills as a sparkie but this would be my approach.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
John
November 7, 2004 1:47:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Thanks, the batteries are fine -- they are not being drained.

The camera power circuit is not seeing the batteries.

"John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> >I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
FIXED
> > a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries
> > and
> > battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)
> >
> > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> > more picture, maybe not.
> >
> > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
> > points
> > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
> >
> > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
> > the
> > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
> > camera,
> > I know that for sure.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Fred
> >

> To establish whether the batteries are being drained by an internal fault
> you need to place the batteries in an external battery holder and connect
> them to the camera by a couple of insulated wires with miniature crocdile
> clips on each end. Place a meter in seies with one of thes wires to
measure
> the current drawn from the batteries. I am guessing, but when the camera
is
> off the current should be zero, and in standby probably no more than say
100
> to 200 milliamps (0.1 to 0.2 amp).
>
> Not sure of your skills as a sparkie but this would be my approach.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Cheers,
> John

November 17, 2004 12:37:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Thanks, John. The batteries are not being drained by the camera -- the
camera is not seeing the batteries. The batteries are fine. The battery
clips are fine. The batteries AND the battery clips are fine. The problem is
downstream of the batteries. It is not the batteries that is the problem
here. Not the batteries. No No No.... Battery problem? No.

(Aside: What is this fixation with "check the batteries"? How many times
do I have to say, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BLASTED BATTERIES?)

"John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> >I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
FIXED
> > a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries
> > and
> > battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)
> >
> > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> > more picture, maybe not.
> >
> > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
> > points
> > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
> >
> > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
> > the
> > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
> > camera,
> > I know that for sure.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Fred
> >

> To establish whether the batteries are being drained by an internal fault
> you need to place the batteries in an external battery holder and connect
> them to the camera by a couple of insulated wires with miniature crocdile
> clips on each end. Place a meter in seies with one of thes wires to
measure
> the current drawn from the batteries. I am guessing, but when the camera
is
> off the current should be zero, and in standby probably no more than say
100
> to 200 milliamps (0.1 to 0.2 amp).
>
> Not sure of your skills as a sparkie but this would be my approach.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Cheers,
> John

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 2:39:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Perhaps you should switch to decaf.

> Thanks, John. The batteries are not being drained by the camera -- the
> camera is not seeing the batteries. The batteries are fine. The battery
> clips are fine. The batteries AND the battery clips are fine. The problem
> is
> downstream of the batteries. It is not the batteries that is the problem
> here. Not the batteries. No No No.... Battery problem? No.
>
> (Aside: What is this fixation with "check the batteries"? How many
> times
> do I have to say, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BLASTED BATTERIES?)
>
> "John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message
>>
>> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
>> >I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
> FIXED
>> > a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries
>> > and
>> > battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)
>> >
>> > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
>> > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
>> > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
>> > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
>> > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
>> > more picture, maybe not.
>> >
>> > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
>> > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
>> > points
>> > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>> >
>> > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
>> > the
>> > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
>> > camera,
>> > I know that for sure.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance!
>> >
>> > Fred
>> >

>> To establish whether the batteries are being drained by an internal fault
>> you need to place the batteries in an external battery holder and connect
>> them to the camera by a couple of insulated wires with miniature crocdile
>> clips on each end. Place a meter in seies with one of thes wires to
> measure
>> the current drawn from the batteries. I am guessing, but when the camera
> is
>> off the current should be zero, and in standby probably no more than say
> 100
>> to 200 milliamps (0.1 to 0.2 amp).
>>
>> Not sure of your skills as a sparkie but this would be my approach.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Cheers,
>> John

November 17, 2004 11:20:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

LOLLLLLLLLLL!!!

"Doug Robbins" <crobbins6@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps you should switch to decaf.
>
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, John. The batteries are not being drained by the camera -- the
> > camera is not seeing the batteries. The batteries are fine. The
battery
> > clips are fine. The batteries AND the battery clips are fine. The
problem
> > is
> > downstream of the batteries. It is not the batteries that is the problem
> > here. Not the batteries. No No No.... Battery problem? No.
> >
> > (Aside: What is this fixation with "check the batteries"? How many
> > times
> > do I have to say, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BLASTED BATTERIES?)
> >
> > "John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > FIXED

> >> To establish whether the batteries are being drained by an internal
fault
> >> you need to place the batteries in an external battery holder and
connect
> >> them to the camera by a couple of insulated wires with miniature
crocdile
> >> clips on each end. Place a meter in seies with one of thes wires to
> > measure
> >> the current drawn from the batteries. I am guessing, but when the
camera
> > is
> >> off the current should be zero, and in standby probably no more than
say
> > 100
> >> to 200 milliamps (0.1 to 0.2 amp).
> >>
> >> Not sure of your skills as a sparkie but this would be my approach.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps,
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> John

November 18, 2004 2:02:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

PS -- I do appreciate everyone taking the time to give their advice to help
me solve this problem. Don't take offense at my wise cracks - they are
intended only in jest...

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
news:D oOmd.3901$BX4.1014@trnddc08...
> LOLLLLLLLLLL!!!
>
> "Doug Robbins" <crobbins6@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Perhaps you should switch to decaf.
> >
> > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks, John. The batteries are not being drained by the camera --
the
> > > camera is not seeing the batteries. The batteries are fine. The
> battery
> > > clips are fine. The batteries AND the battery clips are fine. The
> problem
> > > is
> > > downstream of the batteries. It is not the batteries that is the
problem
> > > here. Not the batteries. No No No.... Battery problem? No.
> > >
> > > (Aside: What is this fixation with "check the batteries"? How many
> > > times
> > > do I have to say, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BLASTED BATTERIES?)
> > >
> > > "John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message

> > > FIXED
> batteries

> short

> act

> fault
> connect
> crocdile
> > > measure
> camera
> > > is
> say
> > > 100

April 30, 2012 4:09:36 AM

fred said:
[...]

I know it is know 2012 but Fred or anyone? Did you ever get this problem fixed? I have a C-700 also and my husband spent close to 700 back in the day for this camera and a sd card. We used it maybe 6 months then the power quit, we kept trying different batteries and it never worked. We gave up on it. Later I was told to contact Olympus after asking a local camera store, they told me it would cost $100 then to evaluate it. So I contacted the company just to hear that they want the camera and $125 to evaluate it and then they would let me know how much it would cost to fix, plus s & h. My husband was so mad we just put it back in the box and bought a $100 camera and it works fine. Just recently I have misplace the charge cord so now we have to send for new on of those. Really I should have stuck to the one you can put batteries in... UGH. Anyhow I was looking on google to see if anyone knew if there is a reset button or something I could try myself before I just junk my expensive camera? Anybody know of any ways to fix it besides the obvious and pay them more money?
!