Power Problem with Olympus C700

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries and
battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)

I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
more picture, maybe not.

I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact points
are all good & clean. No change in performance.

Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act the
same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the camera,
I know that for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Fred
9 answers Last reply
More about power problem olympus c700
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:36:29 GMT, "Fred"
    <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:

    >I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
    >a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries and
    >battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)
    >
    >I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
    >ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
    >circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
    >charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
    >open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
    >more picture, maybe not.
    >
    >I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
    >contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact points
    >are all good & clean. No change in performance.
    >
    >Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act the
    >same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the camera,
    >I know that for sure.
    >
    >Thanks in advance!
    >
    >Fred

    My experience...
    I started with a D-600L. It exhibited the same problems you describe
    exactly. Olympus fixed it under warranty.I have a C3030Z. It does the
    same thing. It's obviously out of warranty, and it's been replaced (by
    a Canon A75, as a second camera, and the one my wife uses).
    I bought a C4000Z to replace the 3030, and it failed as above under
    warranty; Oly fixed it under warranty. It failed again, Oly *said*
    they fixed it, but it did the same thing when I got it back. I gave it
    away.
    I bought a Digital Rebel, and have been very happy with it.

    I believe Oly has a problem with their power systems on the PCB. I've
    seen others with the same problems, and threads about this problem
    come up here, too.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

    Thanks Bill. Great to know this.

    "Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:36:29 GMT, "Fred"
    > <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
    FIXED
    > >a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries
    and
    > >battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)
    > >
    > >I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
    > >ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
    > >circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
    > >charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
    > >open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
    > >more picture, maybe not.
    > >
    > >I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
    > >contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
    points
    > >are all good & clean. No change in performance.
    > >
    > >Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
    the
    > >same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
    camera,
    > >I know that for sure.
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > >Fred
    > >
    > My experience...
    > I started with a D-600L. It exhibited the same problems you describe
    > exactly. Olympus fixed it under warranty.I have a C3030Z. It does the
    > same thing. It's obviously out of warranty, and it's been replaced (by
    > a Canon A75, as a second camera, and the one my wife uses).
    > I bought a C4000Z to replace the 3030, and it failed as above under
    > warranty; Oly fixed it under warranty. It failed again, Oly *said*
    > they fixed it, but it did the same thing when I got it back. I gave it
    > away.
    > I bought a Digital Rebel, and have been very happy with it.
    >
    > I believe Oly has a problem with their power systems on the PCB. I've
    > seen others with the same problems, and threads about this problem
    > come up here, too.
    >
    > Bill Funk
    > Change "g" to "a"
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

    "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    >I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
    > a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries
    > and
    > battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)
    >
    > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
    > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
    > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
    > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
    > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
    > more picture, maybe not.
    >
    > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
    > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
    > points
    > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
    >
    > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
    > the
    > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
    > camera,
    > I know that for sure.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Fred

    To establish whether the batteries are being drained by an internal fault
    you need to place the batteries in an external battery holder and connect
    them to the camera by a couple of insulated wires with miniature crocdile
    clips on each end. Place a meter in seies with one of thes wires to measure
    the current drawn from the batteries. I am guessing, but when the camera is
    off the current should be zero, and in standby probably no more than say 100
    to 200 milliamps (0.1 to 0.2 amp).

    Not sure of your skills as a sparkie but this would be my approach.

    Hope this helps,

    Cheers,
    John
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

    Thanks, the batteries are fine -- they are not being drained.

    The camera power circuit is not seeing the batteries.

    "John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message

    > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > >I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
    FIXED
    > > a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries
    > > and
    > > battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)
    > >
    > > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
    > > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
    > > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
    > > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
    > > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
    > > more picture, maybe not.
    > >
    > > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
    > > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
    > > points
    > > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
    > >
    > > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
    > > the
    > > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
    > > camera,
    > > I know that for sure.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > > Fred
    > >

    > To establish whether the batteries are being drained by an internal fault
    > you need to place the batteries in an external battery holder and connect
    > them to the camera by a couple of insulated wires with miniature crocdile
    > clips on each end. Place a meter in seies with one of thes wires to
    measure
    > the current drawn from the batteries. I am guessing, but when the camera
    is
    > off the current should be zero, and in standby probably no more than say
    100
    > to 200 milliamps (0.1 to 0.2 amp).
    >
    > Not sure of your skills as a sparkie but this would be my approach.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Cheers,
    > John

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

    Thanks, John. The batteries are not being drained by the camera -- the
    camera is not seeing the batteries. The batteries are fine. The battery
    clips are fine. The batteries AND the battery clips are fine. The problem is
    downstream of the batteries. It is not the batteries that is the problem
    here. Not the batteries. No No No.... Battery problem? No.

    (Aside: What is this fixation with "check the batteries"? How many times
    do I have to say, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BLASTED BATTERIES?)

    "John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message

    > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > >I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
    FIXED
    > > a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries
    > > and
    > > battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)
    > >
    > > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
    > > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
    > > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
    > > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
    > > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
    > > more picture, maybe not.
    > >
    > > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
    > > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
    > > points
    > > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
    > >
    > > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
    > > the
    > > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
    > > camera,
    > > I know that for sure.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > > Fred
    > >

    > To establish whether the batteries are being drained by an internal fault
    > you need to place the batteries in an external battery holder and connect
    > them to the camera by a couple of insulated wires with miniature crocdile
    > clips on each end. Place a meter in seies with one of thes wires to
    measure
    > the current drawn from the batteries. I am guessing, but when the camera
    is
    > off the current should be zero, and in standby probably no more than say
    100
    > to 200 milliamps (0.1 to 0.2 amp).
    >
    > Not sure of your skills as a sparkie but this would be my approach.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Cheers,
    > John

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

    Perhaps you should switch to decaf.

    > Thanks, John. The batteries are not being drained by the camera -- the
    > camera is not seeing the batteries. The batteries are fine. The battery
    > clips are fine. The batteries AND the battery clips are fine. The problem
    > is
    > downstream of the batteries. It is not the batteries that is the problem
    > here. Not the batteries. No No No.... Battery problem? No.
    >
    > (Aside: What is this fixation with "check the batteries"? How many
    > times
    > do I have to say, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BLASTED BATTERIES?)
    >
    > "John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    >> >I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
    > FIXED
    >> > a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries
    >> > and
    >> > battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)
    >> >
    >> > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
    >> > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
    >> > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
    >> > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
    >> > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
    >> > more picture, maybe not.
    >> >
    >> > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
    >> > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
    >> > points
    >> > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
    >> >
    >> > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
    >> > the
    >> > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
    >> > camera,
    >> > I know that for sure.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance!
    >> >
    >> > Fred
    >> >

    >> To establish whether the batteries are being drained by an internal fault
    >> you need to place the batteries in an external battery holder and connect
    >> them to the camera by a couple of insulated wires with miniature crocdile
    >> clips on each end. Place a meter in seies with one of thes wires to
    > measure
    >> the current drawn from the batteries. I am guessing, but when the camera
    > is
    >> off the current should be zero, and in standby probably no more than say
    > 100
    >> to 200 milliamps (0.1 to 0.2 amp).
    >>
    >> Not sure of your skills as a sparkie but this would be my approach.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps,
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> John

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

    LOLLLLLLLLLL!!!

    "Doug Robbins" <crobbins6@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Perhaps you should switch to decaf.
    >
    > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, John. The batteries are not being drained by the camera -- the
    > > camera is not seeing the batteries. The batteries are fine. The
    battery
    > > clips are fine. The batteries AND the battery clips are fine. The
    problem
    > > is
    > > downstream of the batteries. It is not the batteries that is the problem
    > > here. Not the batteries. No No No.... Battery problem? No.
    > >
    > > (Aside: What is this fixation with "check the batteries"? How many
    > > times
    > > do I have to say, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BLASTED BATTERIES?)
    > >
    > > "John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > > FIXED

    > >> To establish whether the batteries are being drained by an internal
    fault
    > >> you need to place the batteries in an external battery holder and
    connect
    > >> them to the camera by a couple of insulated wires with miniature
    crocdile
    > >> clips on each end. Place a meter in seies with one of thes wires to
    > > measure
    > >> the current drawn from the batteries. I am guessing, but when the
    camera
    > > is
    > >> off the current should be zero, and in standby probably no more than
    say
    > > 100
    > >> to 200 milliamps (0.1 to 0.2 amp).
    > >>
    > >> Not sure of your skills as a sparkie but this would be my approach.
    > >>
    > >> Hope this helps,
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >> John

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

    PS -- I do appreciate everyone taking the time to give their advice to help
    me solve this problem. Don't take offense at my wise cracks - they are
    intended only in jest...

  9. fred said:
[...]

    I know it is know 2012 but Fred or anyone? Did you ever get this problem fixed? I have a C-700 also and my husband spent close to 700 back in the day for this camera and a sd card. We used it maybe 6 months then the power quit, we kept trying different batteries and it never worked. We gave up on it. Later I was told to contact Olympus after asking a local camera store, they told me it would cost $100 then to evaluate it. So I contacted the company just to hear that they want the camera and $125 to evaluate it and then they would let me know how much it would cost to fix, plus s & h. My husband was so mad we just put it back in the box and bought a $100 camera and it works fine. Just recently I have misplace the charge cord so now we have to send for new on of those. Really I should have stuck to the one you can put batteries in... UGH. Anyhow I was looking on google to see if anyone knew if there is a reset button or something I could try myself before I just junk my expensive camera? Anybody know of any ways to fix it besides the obvious and pay them more money?

Cameras Photo Power Olympus Peripherals