sony trv350 d8 camera. firewire or usb to pc?

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

what is the difference in the two methods (firewire & usb) for
transfereing video to pc. i thought that usb2 was faster than
firewire. but everything i'm reading says to use firewire to
transfere. the camera has both firewire and usb but my computor has
only usb.
i have 15+/- tapes i'd like to put to dvd as is. then i'd like to be
able to edit the files on my pc as well.
any thoughts?

k.

>what is the difference in the two methods (firewire & usb) for
>transfereing video to pc. i thought that usb2 was faster than
>firewire. but everything i'm reading says to use firewire to
>transfere. the camera has both firewire and usb but my computor has
>only usb.
>i have 15+/- tapes i'd like to put to dvd as is. then i'd like to be
>able to edit the files on my pc as well.
>any thoughts?
>
>k.

You have been told correctly: Forget USB as a means to capture full-size,
full-motion video to your computer. Spend US$20 or so on a IEEE-1394 card and a
cable (usually 4pin to 6 pin). You will need some kind of capture software
(SCLive is the best) ...some editing programs can capture; some can capture
well (no sound synchronization problems...etc.) Some cannot.

webpa

WEBPA wrote:

> Spend US$20 or so on a IEEE-1394 card and a cable (usually
> 4pin to 6 pin).

I bought one of these when they were more $. Comes with a cable
and upgradeable software. I haven't had any problems.
www.openlinx.com/english/product/product_description.asp?product_id=545
It actually came with a VIA chip, and not the Agere pictured. It
seems there was a problem with earlier VIA chip(s?) that has
apparently been sorted.

jaco

Pete a écrit :
> what is the difference in the two methods (firewire & usb) for
> transfereing video to pc. i thought that usb2 was faster than
> firewire. but everything i'm reading says to use firewire to
> transfere. the camera has both firewire and usb but my computor has
> only usb.
> i have 15+/- tapes i'd like to put to dvd as is. then i'd like to be
> able to edit the files on my pc as well.
> any thoughts?
>
> k.
Use Firewire port and Window Movie Maker 2 - WMM2 (free) for best capture.
WMM2 allow simple edit jobs which could be sufficient for first level
(it is also a good way to learn the basis of video editing before to pay
for a more sophisticated program as Vegas or Premiere).

On 24 Apr 2004 15:00:50 GMT, webpa@aol.com (WEBPA) wrote:

>Forget USB as a means to capture full-size,
>full-motion video to your computer.

Why?

>On 24 Apr 2004 15:00:50 GMT, webpa@aol.com (WEBPA) wrote:
>
>>Forget USB as a means to capture full-size,
>>full-motion video to your computer.
>
>Why?

To simplify: Because IEEE-1394 is much closer to a defacto standard for this
task. USB is not. You will therefore have a harder time finding a
software/hardware combination that will actually do what you want to do.
webpa

Bariloche wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2004 15:00:50 GMT, webpa@aol.com (WEBPA) wrote:
>

>>Forget USB as a means to capture full-size,
>>full-motion video to your computer.
>

> Why?
Because your Sony camcorder will only capture at USB1.1 rate - none of
them (to the best of my knowledge) use USB2.0. The USB connection is
ONLY for use at 'webcam' speeds (about 350x240), NOT D1 (720x480)
resolution. You'll wind up with really, really poor captures.

That's why.

Tom

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Jaco <jaco@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<408a86b2$0$26457$626a14ce@news.free.fr>...
> Pete a écrit :
> > what is the difference in the two methods (firewire & usb) for
> > transfereing video to pc. i thought that usb2 was faster than
> > firewire. but everything i'm reading says to use firewire to
> > transfere. the camera has both firewire and usb but my computor has
> > only usb.
> > i have 15+/- tapes i'd like to put to dvd as is. then i'd like to be
> > able to edit the files on my pc as well.
> > any thoughts?
> >
> > k.
> Use Firewire port and Window Movie Maker 2 - WMM2 (free) for best capture.
> WMM2 allow simple edit jobs which could be sufficient for first level
> (it is also a good way to learn the basis of video editing before to pay
> for a more sophisticated program as Vegas or Premiere).

I went and bought a IEEE card. It came with a 6x4 pin cable. 6 on
computer end and 4 on camera end. So far I can't get WMM2 to
recognize the camera. (a video capture device was not detected).
Ulead VideoStudio 5.0 says the same.

In the camera manual it says to "use a 4x4 cable". It also says
"This unit can be connected to other iLink (DV) compatible non-video
equipment made by Sony (eg Vaio series computer)".

My computer is NOT a Sony. Oh Oh. The manual really only talks
about USB streaming.

Anyway I'm still working on it. Thanks for all the help.

K.

On 24 Apr 2004 19:40:14 GMT, webpa@aol.com (WEBPA) wrote:

>To simplify: Because IEEE-1394 is much closer to a defacto standard for this
>task. USB is not.

It looks like more and more cams are now giving an USB connection,
when before they were i-link only. This makes me believe USB is about
to share the standard. The reason behind being, perhaps, that USB is
more a standard itself in the PC world (IOW, every PC has an USB
connection, but not always a Firewire one).

>You will therefore have a harder time finding a
>software/hardware combination that will actually do what you want to do.

Of course, if he has not other chance, he should go for a firewire
card, but does not this camera come with a capture software? If it
does, then he should already have what's needed for an USB capture
without having to invest time and money in something else.

jaco

Pete a écrit :

> Jaco <jaco@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<408a86b2$0$26457$626a14ce@news.free.fr>...
>
>>Pete a écrit :
>>
>>>what is the difference in the two methods (firewire & usb) for
>>>transfereing video to pc. i thought that usb2 was faster than
>>>firewire. but everything i'm reading says to use firewire to
>>>transfere. the camera has both firewire and usb but my computor has
>>>only usb.
>>>i have 15+/- tapes i'd like to put to dvd as is. then i'd like to be
>>>able to edit the files on my pc as well.
>>>any thoughts?
>>>
>>>k.
>>
>>Use Firewire port and Window Movie Maker 2 - WMM2 (free) for best capture.
>>WMM2 allow simple edit jobs which could be sufficient for first level
>>(it is also a good way to learn the basis of video editing before to pay
>>for a more sophisticated program as Vegas or Premiere).
>

> I went and bought a IEEE card. It came with a 6x4 pin cable. 6 on
> computer end and 4 on camera end. So far I can't get WMM2 to
> recognize the camera. (a video capture device was not detected).
> Ulead VideoStudio 5.0 says the same.
>
> In the camera manual it says to "use a 4x4 cable". It also says
> "This unit can be connected to other iLink (DV) compatible non-video
> equipment made by Sony (eg Vaio series computer)".
>
> My computer is NOT a Sony. Oh Oh. The manual really only talks
> about USB streaming.
>
> Anyway I'm still working on it. Thanks for all the help.
>
> K.
I have a TRV345E. Windows Xp on Dell Workstation (work also with my
laptop),
1. Start WMM2 or other Video capture program (I also use in the same
conditions Ulead Movie factory or Vegas)
2. Connect the 6x4 cable to the i-link (firewire) port of Camera and set
the camera on VCR. At this stage the camera is detected by the computer
and WMM2 propose the capture.
Nothing more !

But a simple way to verify the good connecting scheme si the following:
1. no capture program running
2. The 6x4 cable is connected to computer
3. Connecting the 4 pins end to the i-link port of camera
4. When setting the camera on VCR, the computer must see the camera and
proposes a program to capture.

But what is your operating system ?

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

> I have a TRV345E. Windows Xp on Dell Workstation (work also with my
> laptop),
> 1. Start WMM2 or other Video capture program (I also use in the same
> conditions Ulead Movie factory or Vegas)
> 2. Connect the 6x4 cable to the i-link (firewire) port of Camera and set
> the camera on VCR. At this stage the camera is detected by the computer
> and WMM2 propose the capture.
> Nothing more !

Yup. That's what I thought would(should) happen. Nothing.

> But a simple way to verify the good connecting scheme si the following:
> 1. no capture program running
> 2. The 6x4 cable is connected to computer
> 3. Connecting the 4 pins end to the i-link port of camera
> 4. When setting the camera on VCR, the computer must see the camera and
> proposes a program to capture.

That's what I've done. I think your right, not a good connection.

> But what is your operating system ?

WinXP on a Dell workstation, same as you. This is a good thing. It
means it will work, once I figure out what I've done wrong. I'm not
sure what to try next. I've checked the device manager and the IEEE
card is there "working properly" I re & re'd the card, same result.
Nothing when I hook up camera.
I'm going to uninstall drivers and restart. Maybe .....

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

> I have a TRV345E. Windows Xp on Dell Workstation (work also with my
> laptop),
> 1. Start WMM2 or other Video capture program (I also use in the same
> conditions Ulead Movie factory or Vegas)
> 2. Connect the 6x4 cable to the i-link (firewire) port of Camera and set
> the camera on VCR. At this stage the camera is detected by the computer
> and WMM2 propose the capture.
> Nothing more !
>
> But a simple way to verify the good connecting scheme si the following:
> 1. no capture program running
> 2. The 6x4 cable is connected to computer
> 3. Connecting the 4 pins end to the i-link port of camera
> 4. When setting the camera on VCR, the computer must see the camera and
> proposes a program to capture.
>
> But what is your operating system ?

got it!!! works like it should. you've been very helpfull. thankyou.

now the work starts. experiment, read etc. i'm not sure about what i
want to do with all the video i have, but now at least i can start.

i think i'd like to take each video, as is and convert to dvd, as a
backup, (some of these tapes are getting old) then start editing them
into something other than what i taped origanally. You know, 2 min.
of my 8 month old eating a bannana instead of 20. lol. now that
she's 17 i'd like to have a dvd of clips of her life so far.

picture's - photo album. video's - video album. we've come along
way.

anyway. thanks.

K.