Origin of sound sync problems?

My wife is having a lot of troubles lately with poor sound sync. She
originally thought it was because of mistakes she made in editing.
However, she is finding effect in clips she has just loaded, and never
edited. Is this due to something in the cameras used? She does use a
number of different DV cameras. If not cameras, where might problem be
coming from? It is there in some raw clips, not in others.
--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
stauffer@usfamily.net

>My wife is having a lot of troubles lately with poor sound sync. She
>originally thought it was because of mistakes she made in editing.
>However, she is finding effect in clips she has just loaded, and never
>edited. Is this due to something in the cameras used? She does use a
>number of different DV cameras. If not cameras, where might problem be
>coming from? It is there in some raw clips, not in others.
>--
>Don Stauffer in Minnesota
>stauffer@usfamily.net
>webpage- http://www.usfamily.net/web/stauffer

The origin of the problem is that computer hardware
(PC/Mac/Intel/AMD/etc./etc.) handles sound and video as different kinds of data
(as they are, in fact). Similarly all operating systems and all editing
software must handle sound and video in separate, distinct ways.

Once you've taked a data stream containing interleaved (or parallel or
sequential) pictures and sound and split the two so they can be edited....the
opportunities to loose synchronization become almost infinite. The user doesn't
have to do anything wrong.

You may (or may not) be able to minimize sync problems by using specific
software packages for capture, editing, rendering, etc. with a specific
camcorder, or a specific brand of camcorder.

The bottom line is that, just as in the motion picture industry, you must
consider the sound track as an independent entity to be placed where you want
it. With many video editing software packages, this is a trivial task.

webpa

pat

Expert

It depend on what you mean by editing and the program used. I stick to Cool
Edit Pro and the audio editing in Vegas 4. Both have never failed me in
keeping the timecode in sync with video after editing, both separately.

"WEBPA" <webpa@aol.com> wrote in message

> >My wife is having a lot of troubles lately with poor sound sync. She
> >originally thought it was because of mistakes she made in editing.
> >However, she is finding effect in clips she has just loaded, and never
> >edited. Is this due to something in the cameras used? She does use a
> >number of different DV cameras. If not cameras, where might problem be
> >coming from? It is there in some raw clips, not in others.
> >--
> >Don Stauffer in Minnesota
> >stauffer@usfamily.net
> >webpage- http://www.usfamily.net/web/stauffer
> >

> The origin of the problem is that computer hardware
> (PC/Mac/Intel/AMD/etc./etc.) handles sound and video as different kinds of
data
> (as they are, in fact). Similarly all operating systems and all editing
> software must handle sound and video in separate, distinct ways.
>
> Once you've taked a data stream containing interleaved (or parallel or
> sequential) pictures and sound and split the two so they can be
edited....the
> opportunities to loose synchronization become almost infinite. The user
doesn't
> have to do anything wrong.
>
> You may (or may not) be able to minimize sync problems by using specific
> software packages for capture, editing, rendering, etc. with a specific
> camcorder, or a specific brand of camcorder.
>
> The bottom line is that, just as in the motion picture industry, you must
> consider the sound track as an independent entity to be placed where you
want
> it. With many video editing software packages, this is a trivial task.
>

> webpa

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:33:39 -0500, Don Stauffer
<stauffer@usfamily.net> wrote:

If not cameras, where might problem be coming from?

Shouldn't be the camera, unless you record sound of a subject far, far
away, without radio-mikes. What software/hardware do you use?

cheers

-martin-

--
filmmaker/DP/editor/filmschool techie
Sydney, Australia

"The world is on the move. Adopt, adapt, survive."

She is using Adobe Premiere 6.5. She downloads DV tapes via Canon
camcorder, uploads through camera to take tape into work. Machine is
Pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz, 160 Gig drive. Firewire link to camera.