Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7upgrade

Last response: in Windows 7
December 27, 2010 11:46:16 PM

hello, 2 days ago i bought a barebone kit form tiger direct. my problem is that, when i finish building the computer how do i install a operating system. since i am student i get discount on windows 7 online but i can only download online. what if i use a free operating system like ubuntu or Linux. can i still upgrade to windows 7 online using ubuntu or Linux. pls help

More about : windows 7upgrade

Best solution

December 28, 2010 12:16:46 AM

I don't see how Ubuntu would help here - not because I don't like Ubuntu (in fact the netbook I'm posting this from runs Ubuntu) but because you have to download the installer and burn it to a DVD. This isn't any different to the sites which sell Windows 7 to students: you pay, then you download a .ISO file, and then you burn it to a DVD. So whatever computer you were going to use to download Ubuntu, use it to download Windows 7.

One other thing that I should point out (in case you haven't realised) is that the student versions of Windows (or some of them, at least) are upgrade only i.e. you must already have an earlier version of Windows (Vista, XP) installed on the computer in order to install student discount Win7.
January 4, 2011 3:26:47 AM

Best answer selected by mathew31.
m
l
!