make a 24 fps mpeg2 into 25 fps?

is there a way to edit an mpeg2 file that is encoded as 24 fps so that it
would play back at 25 fps and still maintain sync with the audio?

this is to allow me to burn a movie (after inverse telecined) as a
progressive PAL dvd with no duplicate frames
5 answers Last reply
More about make mpeg2

    > is there a way to edit an mpeg2 file that is encoded as 24 fps so that it
    > would play back at 25 fps and still maintain sync with the audio?
    >
    > this is to allow me to burn a movie (after inverse telecined) as a
    > progressive PAL dvd with no duplicate frames

    If your MPEG2 file is 24fps(23.976?), then it's probably NTSC and will have
    to be re-encoded to PAL resolution. You need to re-sample/stretch the audio
    to fit the new duration. It's about a 5% speed change and isn't very
    noticeable.

    If you absolutely want to keep the original sound/pitch, you could convert
    the NTSC video to interlaced PAL. That's the ugly option. Most professional
    conversions of progressive material are done with the speed change. Either
    way, you will have to do some sort of re-encoding.

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:27:06 +0000 (UTC), "Speed Dialer"
    <dontyousp@m.org> wrote:

    >> is there a way to edit an mpeg2 file that is encoded as 24 fps so that it
    >> would play back at 25 fps and still maintain sync with the audio?
    >>
    >> this is to allow me to burn a movie (after inverse telecined) as a
    >> progressive PAL dvd with no duplicate frames
    >>
    >If your MPEG2 file is 24fps(23.976?), then it's probably NTSC and will have
    >to be re-encoded to PAL resolution. You need to re-sample/stretch the audio
    >to fit the new duration. It's about a 5% speed change and isn't very
    >noticeable.

    As has been pointed out, the resolution will require tweaking,
    so you're going to have to reencode it with the new frame size and
    frame rate. The easiest way to convert it is to use AVISynth (and its
    MPEG decoder plugin) with a very simple script. It would look
    something like this:

    MPEGSource("DRIVE:\FILENAME.MPG")
    AssumeFPS(25,sync_audio=true)
    LanczosResize(720,576)

    Go to www.doom9.org and look up info there on how to use
    AVISynth for something like this. Their forums are also full of info
    about NTSC to PAL conversions.
    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 12:37:27 GMT, "peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >is there a way to edit an mpeg2 file that is encoded as 24 fps so that it
    >would play back at 25 fps and still maintain sync with the audio?

    Typically, as I understand the "simple" conversion processes used
    commercially, they simply run the 24fps video as 25fps, and resample
    the audio for sync. Any decent audio editor (if not your NLE itself,
    though an audio friendly NLE like Vegas has this) will have a
    rate-convert function that maintains pitch. Scale your audio by
    25/24ths (or, technically, 25/23.975 if this is from an NTSCfilm DVD
    or other typical film-on-video source) and you're back in sync.

    Dave Haynie | Chief Toady, Frog Pond Media Consulting
    dhaynie@jersey.net| Take Back Freedom! Bush no more in 2004!
    "Deathbed Vigil" now on DVD! See http://www.frogpondmedia.com

    "Dave Haynie" <dhaynie@jersey.net> wrote in message
    > the audio for sync. Any decent audio editor (if not your NLE itself,
    > though an audio friendly NLE like Vegas has this) will have a
    > rate-convert function that maintains pitch. Scale your audio by
    > 25/24ths (or, technically, 25/23.975 if this is from an NTSCfilm DVD
    > or other typical film-on-video source) and you're back in sync.

    Or you could use BeSweet from http://dspguru.doom9.net, which is made
    specifically for that purpose. Download the latest Beta, not Stable,
    version. I've tried a couple of low-end audio editors to rescale audio, and
    they just weren't very precise--the audio track was always slightly longer
    or shorter than the length of the rescaled video.
    __
    Alex
    pcalex (at) hotpop.com

    My understanding was that it was common practice to run
    Hollywood (US, 24FPS) movies at the local standard of 25
    FPS and just live with the slight pitch difference. Do they
    now convert 24FPS film to 25FPS film? Or are we just taking
    advantage of technical tricks when we import as video files?

Tuner Cards Desktops Video FPS Graphics