Question on transferring VHS to VCD/SVCD/DVD

I have a number of VHS tapes I wish to transfer to CD/DVD. Some of
these tapes are 6 hours long the quality is not so great. I'd like to
transfer these tapes to CD/DVD getting as much as possible without
losing too much quality. I have a CD and DVD burner and my video is
captured via my CamCorder which in turn is captured onto my PC. Any
help would be appreciated.

I do it with a ATI All-In-Wonder 8600DV video capture card (I guess you can
use any video capture card) and Dr. DivX (www.divx.com) to capture the video
to an AVI file and then convert it to a SVCD.

"Chief Tecumseh" <Tecumseh@shawnee.ca> wrote in message
> I have a number of VHS tapes I wish to transfer to CD/DVD. Some of
> these tapes are 6 hours long the quality is not so great. I'd like to
> transfer these tapes to CD/DVD getting as much as possible without
> losing too much quality. I have a CD and DVD burner and my video is
> captured via my CamCorder which in turn is captured onto my PC. Any
> help would be appreciated.

Chief Tecumseh <Tecumseh@shawnee.ca> wrote:

>I have a number of VHS tapes I wish to transfer to CD/DVD. Some of
>these tapes are 6 hours long the quality is not so great. I'd like to
>transfer these tapes to CD/DVD getting as much as possible without
>losing too much quality.

If you use Video CD quality (352x240), you can fit an entire 6-hour
VHS tape on a single DVD. TMPGEnc does a very good job of encoding in
this format, and you will not likely notice much difference in quality
from those tapes recorded at EP speed. While VCD video is DVD
compatible, VCD audio is not, so make sure you set TMPGEnc to encode
the audio at 48KHz (instead of 44.1Khz) for DVD use.

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 12:55:03 -0400, Chief Tecumseh
<Tecumseh@shawnee.ca> wrote:

>I have a number of VHS tapes I wish to transfer to CD/DVD. Some of
>these tapes are 6 hours long the quality is not so great. I'd like to
>transfer these tapes to CD/DVD getting as much as possible without
>losing too much quality.

Encode them as 352x576 mpeg-2 for CVD or DVD, depending on the disc
used, by compressing CQ from 65% up.

wrote:

>I have a number of VHS tapes I wish to transfer to CD/DVD. Some of
>these tapes are 6 hours long the quality is not so great. I'd like to
>transfer these tapes to CD/DVD getting as much as possible without
>losing too much quality. I have a CD and DVD burner and my video is
>captured via my CamCorder which in turn is captured onto my PC. Any
>help would be appreciated.

Take the DV25 AVI and encode to DVD-Video compliant MPEG-1 video and
192Kb/s Dolby Digital audio (see <http://www.videohelp.com/dvd>,
<http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4>, and/or
<http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/DVD/> for the details).

Then author and burn to recordable DVD.

You can fit as much as 7.5 hours of footage at VideoCD quality (1150Kb/s
CBR MPEG-1 video). Adjust the video bitrate up, using a bitrate
calculator, if your total footage is < than that. With 6 hours of source
material, you could kick the video bitrate up to around 1475Kb/s, and just
about fill a 4.38GB DVD-R.