Restoring my HL2/steam install

HI,
I have just upgraded to a larger hard drive and I have my old drive
installed as a slave and I was wondering if it is possible to lift my
install of HL2/steam etc off the old drive and copy it across to my new one
rather than go through the painfull install/unlock/update proccess from
scratch (I have the retail DVD version).

> I have just upgraded to a larger hard drive and I have my old drive
> installed as a slave and I was wondering if it is possible to lift my
> install of HL2/steam etc off the old drive and copy it across to my new one
> rather than go through the painfull install/unlock/update proccess from
> scratch (I have the retail DVD version).

Just copy all the files over to the new HD
Make sure you're using the same location

If you have problems delete the clientregistry.blob file
I have moved my a Steam installtion to another HD a couple of times,
works like a charm

Btw when upgrading to a new HD discarding the old one the HD
manufacturer typicaly has a migrating tool
WD has and it's working great migrating the XP system disk to a new HD

rgds

Sascha Wuestemann wrote:

> this is exactly why steam is evil for a game being installed for offline
> play. You, the master and root of your computer and all installed software
> have lost the rights to do what you want with them.

With approx 500 game titles on the shelves I can asure that Steam with
HL/HL2 running is the easiest game to maintain and handle while
installed

No use of windows registry
No DLL's going to system directories
Everything is contained in the Steam folder

Agreed Steam/HL2 is a hazzle to install if not on broadband

If on broadband you just login with your steam account and all needed
files is delivered to your latest gaming rig

Only thing missing is your saved games is not being uploaded to a
backup server automatically
Now that would be innovative!

rgds

"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in

> Just copy all the files over to the new HD
> Make sure you're using the same location
>
> If you have problems delete the clientregistry.blob file
> I have moved my a Steam installtion to another HD a couple of times,
> works like a charm
>
> Btw when upgrading to a new HD discarding the old one the HD
> manufacturer typicaly has a migrating tool
> WD has and it's working great migrating the XP system disk to a new HD

Thanks for that, I just dragged the steam folder over onto the new drive
and it worked without problems. I guess I should have tried that first but
I am a bit paranoid where steam is concerned, I didn't want my account
banned or combine troops kicking in my door because something was amiss
from my install.
I hear you on the migration tools, its just that my install of XP was long
overdue a reinstall on the old drive. I can face up to rebuilding my PC and
installing windows and all my apps etc, I just couldn't face installing
steam etc all over again.

Bert Byfield wrote:

> I feel the same way about Sierra's arrogance in forcing game players to
> sign up for an account. I will always in the future check game requirements
> for "internet access required," and not buy any more games like that.

Sierra?
What game(s) are you talking about?

FYI: Sierra has nothing whatsoever to do with HL2

- Peter

>> Bert Byfield wrote:
>> I feel the same way about Sierra's arrogance in forcing game players
>> to sign up for an account. I will always in the future check game
>> requirements for "internet access required," and not buy any more
>> games like that.

> Sierra?
> What game(s) are you talking about?
> FYI: Sierra has nothing whatsoever to do with HL2
> - Peter

There's a Sierra stamp on my HL2 CDs. Valve and Steam are there, too, but
Sierra *is* part of the problem. Check it out.

shawk

"Bert Byfield" <BertByfield@nospam.not> wrote in message
>>> Bert Byfield wrote:
>>> I feel the same way about Sierra's arrogance in forcing game players
>>> to sign up for an account. I will always in the future check game
>>> requirements for "internet access required," and not buy any more
>>> games like that.
>
>> Sierra?
>> What game(s) are you talking about?
>> FYI: Sierra has nothing whatsoever to do with HL2
>> - Peter
>
> There's a Sierra stamp on my HL2 CDs. Valve and Steam are there, too, but
> Sierra *is* part of the problem. Check it out.

Sierra are a Vivendi Studio - maybe had a part in the publishing of HL2?

TRENDING THREADS