Firefox Won't be Able to Update Silently Until Version 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th-z

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
How about give the option to turn on or off? A lot of these "like and dislike" problems can be solved by giving people options.

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
This is so that a silent update cna get through that breaks the browser and screws up my PC, giving me work to reset my system for the sake of it.

Please let us have a 'switch off silent updates' option.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I do not like the idea of Forced Updates, If Firefox will do so, I see myself changing the browser to other like k-meleon.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I never understood the purpose of silent updates for a web browser. The only time you need an updated browser is when you're going to peruse the web. So why not just update when you run it? I guess the rapid development cycle is planning to speed up to perhaps daily updates, where it might make sense.

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Th-z[/nom]How about give the option to turn on or off? A lot of these "like and dislike" problems can be solved by giving people options.[/citation]
Simple Tickbox under General in the Settings. Firefox is favored by many because of its ability to be customized, Continue with it FFS.

G

I run on 500 MB a month because I am at uni. If firefox goes to silent updates, I might aswell go back to IE.

Google never changed the perception of FORCED updates. People just deal with it because it's a fast browser, and most people don't even know what is happening.

The best things to focus on for Mozilla is to minimize memory consumption, maximize speed and fully conform with open standards. They already have every other browser beat when it comes to the rest of the garbage.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
AKA, firefox 5... right?

Lucky for me, I won't have to worry about silent updates from ff as I'll never ever EVER install it.

[citation][nom]_Pez_[/nom]I do not like the idea of Forced Updates, If Firefox will do so, I see myself changing the browser to other like k-meleon.[/citation]
There is Opera... and as it is, ff4x has copied the user interface of opera 10~11 (Ver 11.60 came out 2 days ago) Real versions, not stupid marking numbers.

We'll laugh as ff numbers slide even faster with their stupid marketing games.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
It's official, I just made Opera my default web browser. I am sick of Mozilla trying to be Chrome. Had I wanted FF to be more like Chrome I would have downloaded Chrome.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]_Pez_[/nom]I do not like the idea of Forced Updates, If Firefox will do so, I see myself changing the browser to other like k-meleon.[/citation]

forced updates is about the only thing that would get me to stop using firefox. i know how to get around the compatibility checks, but that doesn't mean that the extensions will always work.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Great! Silent updates to break AdBlock and NoScript and render my technically unsavvy relatives' computers useless until I help them straighten it out.

Who are the morons in these project planning discussions who (poorly) decide what is on the software roadmap?

Also, STUPID VERSION NUMBERS ARE STUPID. Film at 11.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
As a techie, I do not like the idea of background auto-updates. But as a web dev I really like them. It would be awesome to not have to code/test every version for all the browsers. IE is the real problem, but FF has bugs in earlier versions too.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]As a techie, I do not like the idea of background auto-updates. But as a web dev I really like them. It would be awesome to not have to code/test every version for all the browsers. IE is the real problem, but FF has bugs in earlier versions too.[/citation]
Hehe, I just develop for the web standard, and whichever browsers want to support that will be fine. Browsers like IE get screwed up content I guess. :) I'll be damned before I leave the standard though.

G

If FF doesnt give a way to switch off silent updates - I will switch to Opera!

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Th-z[/nom]How about give the option to turn on or off? A lot of these "like and dislike" problems can be solved by giving people options.[/citation]

i like this idea like Utorrent does.

i think auto-updates is a great idea because people like your family will never update unless someone tells them to or their forced into it.

I would think this would be priority to not keep the population from being in the stone age.

Status
Not open for further replies.