Your question
Closed

Firefox Won't be Able to Update Silently Until Version 12

Last response: in News comments
December 9, 2011 6:49:35 AM

So, in about 6 months then.
Score
December 9, 2011 6:50:14 AM

Ha... I made the first comment before I even read the article.
Score
December 9, 2011 6:53:23 AM

How about give the option to turn on or off? A lot of these "like and dislike" problems can be solved by giving people options.
Score
December 9, 2011 7:10:49 AM

This is so that a silent update cna get through that breaks the browser and screws up my PC, giving me work to reset my system for the sake of it.

Please let us have a 'switch off silent updates' option.
Score
December 9, 2011 7:18:11 AM

I do not like the idea of Forced Updates, If Firefox will do so, I see myself changing the browser to other like k-meleon.
Score
December 9, 2011 7:23:21 AM

I never understood the purpose of silent updates for a web browser. The only time you need an updated browser is when you're going to peruse the web. So why not just update when you run it? I guess the rapid development cycle is planning to speed up to perhaps daily updates, where it might make sense.
Score
December 9, 2011 7:25:17 AM

I LOATHE silent installs. Very annoying to keep track of.
Score
December 9, 2011 7:36:19 AM

No harm done : )
Score
December 9, 2011 8:37:15 AM

Th-zHow about give the option to turn on or off? A lot of these "like and dislike" problems can be solved by giving people options.

Simple Tickbox under General in the Settings. Firefox is favored by many because of its ability to be customized, Continue with it FFS.
Score
Anonymous
December 9, 2011 11:21:33 AM

I run on 500 MB a month because I am at uni. If firefox goes to silent updates, I might aswell go back to IE.

Google never changed the perception of FORCED updates. People just deal with it because it's a fast browser, and most people don't even know what is happening.

The best things to focus on for Mozilla is to minimize memory consumption, maximize speed and fully conform with open standards. They already have every other browser beat when it comes to the rest of the garbage.
Score
December 9, 2011 12:18:15 PM

AKA, firefox 5... right?

Lucky for me, I won't have to worry about silent updates from ff as I'll never ever EVER install it.

_Pez_I do not like the idea of Forced Updates, If Firefox will do so, I see myself changing the browser to other like k-meleon.

There is Opera... and as it is, ff4x has copied the user interface of opera 10~11 (Ver 11.60 came out 2 days ago) Real versions, not stupid marking numbers.

We'll laugh as ff numbers slide even faster with their stupid marketing games.
Score
December 9, 2011 12:25:30 PM

Forced updates and silent, no way.
Score
December 9, 2011 12:39:58 PM

firefox 5.0... coming soon.

Where we'll silently rape your computer every few days.
Score
December 9, 2011 12:52:51 PM

next up firefox version 2,890.0...with only 1 bug fix and half-ass implementation of a new feature. :p 
Score
December 9, 2011 12:59:19 PM

It's official, I just made Opera my default web browser. I am sick of Mozilla trying to be Chrome. Had I wanted FF to be more like Chrome I would have downloaded Chrome.
Score
December 9, 2011 2:20:39 PM

Knock knock. Who's there? ...Candygram
Score
December 9, 2011 2:50:41 PM

_Pez_I do not like the idea of Forced Updates, If Firefox will do so, I see myself changing the browser to other like k-meleon.

forced updates is about the only thing that would get me to stop using firefox. i know how to get around the compatibility checks, but that doesn't mean that the extensions will always work.

Score
December 9, 2011 3:54:36 PM

As long as I can turn the feature off it doesn't bother me one bit.
Score
December 9, 2011 6:23:42 PM

Great! Silent updates to break AdBlock and NoScript and render my technically unsavvy relatives' computers useless until I help them straighten it out.

Who are the morons in these project planning discussions who (poorly) decide what is on the software roadmap?

Also, STUPID VERSION NUMBERS ARE STUPID. Film at 11.
Score
December 9, 2011 8:03:31 PM

As a techie, I do not like the idea of background auto-updates. But as a web dev I really like them. It would be awesome to not have to code/test every version for all the browsers. IE is the real problem, but FF has bugs in earlier versions too.
Score
December 9, 2011 8:17:30 PM

gm0n3yAs a techie, I do not like the idea of background auto-updates. But as a web dev I really like them. It would be awesome to not have to code/test every version for all the browsers. IE is the real problem, but FF has bugs in earlier versions too.

Hehe, I just develop for the web standard, and whichever browsers want to support that will be fine. Browsers like IE get screwed up content I guess. :)  I'll be damned before I leave the standard though.
Score
Anonymous
December 10, 2011 1:14:06 PM

If FF doesnt give a way to switch off silent updates - I will switch to Opera!
Score
December 10, 2011 7:36:42 PM

Th-zHow about give the option to turn on or off? A lot of these "like and dislike" problems can be solved by giving people options.

i like this idea like Utorrent does.

i think auto-updates is a great idea because people like your family will never update unless someone tells them to or their forced into it.

I would think this would be priority to not keep the population from being in the stone age.
Score
December 11, 2011 8:40:13 AM

Like others have mentioned, I'd like to have a way to turn it off.
Score
Anonymous
December 12, 2011 1:29:04 AM

Believe me, knowing Firefox, there will be a way to disable automatic updates. Just look at about:config, you can do almost anything you need to there.
Score
Anonymous
December 16, 2011 7:30:07 PM

There are several components to the silent update story. Some of the features are in the browser today. Firefox 10 is still the target for work to improve the add-on update experience.

These changes will in no way change the control that you have over Firefox updates. You will continue to be able to specify how you want to update...and can opt-out of silent updates if you so choose.
Score
December 18, 2011 4:37:28 AM

Its time to get the new cake from IE team~!
Score
Anonymous
December 19, 2011 8:37:37 AM

What exactly is all the hate towards silent updates? Extensions breaking seems to be the only real issue. Chrome handles this well and if Firefox can provide the same I don't see why people would prefer this.

Auto-updates let users get the latest features, security fixes and performance patches as soon as they're released without doing any work.

I've never had a browser update go wrong beyond maybe breaking an extension (which was usually updated within a few days anyway). Definitely doesn't screw up my OS or anything. So much whining for no reason.
Score
December 19, 2011 9:31:24 PM

I like silent updates. I want up to date software, and the fewer mindless dialogs I have to jump through the better. FireFox needs to fix their extension system, so you don't have to keep upgrading those, just to have the compatibility adjusted. That's the real problem.

Now if I can just get web designers to stop thinking it's okay to chew through several 100 of MB of RAM to view a single page. With 6GB RAM, I shouldn't start swapping after opening 10 tabs.
Score
December 20, 2011 12:45:04 AM

spinfusionWhat exactly is all the hate towards silent updates? Extensions breaking seems to be the only real issue. Chrome handles this well and if Firefox can provide the same I don't see why people would prefer this.Auto-updates let users get the latest features, security fixes and performance patches as soon as they're released without doing any work. I've never had a browser update go wrong beyond maybe breaking an extension (which was usually updated within a few days anyway). Definitely doesn't screw up my OS or anything. So much whining for no reason.

I think the ACTUAL problem is that these "users" have another bit of less control over their computers, even if it's just a web browser. This is how I see auto-updates:

GOOD = no need to worry about updates, spent less time, easier.
BAD = less control over your computer (software), occasional (?) add-ons or extensions breaking.
Score
December 20, 2011 3:32:37 AM

phatboeIt's official, I just made Opera my default web browser. I am sick of Mozilla trying to be Chrome. Had I wanted FF to be more like Chrome I would have downloaded Chrome.

Good luck with that. I left Opera, which I've used since the beginning when I had to pay for it, because they gave up fixing bugs and improving introduced new features to change the interface to look like Chrome, to engage in pointless speed duels with Chrome, and add unneeded extensions to be like FireFox. Even an Opera dev joked that they should strip out all of their features and reintroduce them as plugins.

Firefox isn't trying to be Chrome. It's trying to deal with all of the people endlessly complaining (see ZDNet, any post about Firefox) about having to manually update Firefox. Now they'll have to deal withh all of the people (see Toms Hardware, this post) complaining about NOT having to manually update Firefox. This is why one dev suggested they simply start hiding the version number (and then both sides complained about that). Meanwhile, Firefox isn't going to be doing anything that Google isn't already doing and Microsoft isn't about to do, but they're still the only ones who catch heat for it. It's insane

If you don't want silent updates, switch to Linux where you have control of everything. That's also what I tell the people who are complaining about needing to manually update, because Linux can also take care of that.
Score
December 20, 2011 3:35:10 AM

figgusGreat! Silent updates to break AdBlock and NoScript and render my technically unsavvy relatives' computers useless until I help them straighten it out.Who are the morons in these project planning discussions who (poorly) decide what is on the software roadmap?Also, STUPID VERSION NUMBERS ARE STUPID. Film at 11.

There are no addons breaking every six weeks; this is in people's imaginations. If your addons are so poorly programmed that they break every time Firefox moves a menu item, switch to better-designed addons. If your updates are so old that they only work with Firefox 3, switch to an actively-maintained addon.
Score
Anonymous
January 8, 2012 9:03:47 PM

What is a fairly secure alternative to FF? I've had it with Mozilla and will be dumping them, ESPECIALLY when they decide to pull this crap. I should have done it a long time ago when started forcing updates of FF on my computer. THESE have been silent updates themselves because I did not authorize them and they were already installed before I knew anything about them. Out of nowhere I end up with 8.0 or now today, 9.0. I keep having to install 6.0 over and over again. It has been the only version of FF to not give me any problems. I'm tired of my PREVIOUS and CURRENT silent updates. I don't know what they are talking about when they say they are putting them off until version 12. I know from experience that they are full of crap when they say they aren't forcing silent updates until later in the future.
Score
!