Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Video stops but sound continues, lock-up usually occurs.

Tags:
  • Video
  • Media Player
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 6:09:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I am running Windows Media Player 10 on WinXP Pro SP2. I have run SHERLOCK
and there are no red coloured CODECS. Most of my videos load up, begin to
play for about one second, audio continues, video pauses. After attempting to
close Media Player 10, which doesn't always leave the desktop, I get about
5-10 more mouse clicks, but nothing occurs on the apps I click on. Then I get
a single beep from the system and everything locks up. I must press the
system RESET button.

?


--
Gil Tennant
Lead Astronomer
http://www.nightskytours.ca

More about : video stops sound continues lock occurs

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:10:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

This is more likely a video driver or audio driver issue. Check with the
mfgr of your hardware to see if there are updated drivers.

"Gil Tennant" <gtennant (@) rogers (dot) com> wrote in message
news:8B6E151B-8ECE-4376-9CAB-62A831D8ACBC@microsoft.com...
> I am running Windows Media Player 10 on WinXP Pro SP2. I have run SHERLOCK
> and there are no red coloured CODECS. Most of my videos load up, begin to
> play for about one second, audio continues, video pauses. After attempting
to
> close Media Player 10, which doesn't always leave the desktop, I get about
> 5-10 more mouse clicks, but nothing occurs on the apps I click on. Then I
get
> a single beep from the system and everything locks up. I must press the
> system RESET button.
>
> ?
>
>
> --
> Gil Tennant
> Lead Astronomer
> http://www.nightskytours.ca
>
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:21:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

George,

I should have indicated that I have 20+ years in the PC Tech realm, and I
have tried the updated and 2nd most recent update of the ATI drivers, I
re-installed DirectX, video drivers, Windows Media Player 10 and even XP with
a repair install, and then went through the DivX, Xvid, and AC3 codec
installs, and still the video chokes at the very start. Audio continues to
play, until I decide to close WMP, and then I get about 10 clicks of the
mouse and then it's system lock-up time.

Thanks for your reply, but I tried that. :) 



"George Ellis" wrote:

> This is more likely a video driver or audio driver issue. Check with the
> mfgr of your hardware to see if there are updated drivers.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 4:07:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

In that case, I would recommend Prime95 stress test run. If it is OC'ed,
take it back to default. If the video card is OC'ed, take it back to
default.

"Gil Tennant" <gtennant (@) rogers (dot) com> wrote in message
news:5FDF9C53-2657-47A0-B97D-F934711859BE@microsoft.com...
> George,
>
> I should have indicated that I have 20+ years in the PC Tech realm, and I
> have tried the updated and 2nd most recent update of the ATI drivers, I
> re-installed DirectX, video drivers, Windows Media Player 10 and even XP
with
> a repair install, and then went through the DivX, Xvid, and AC3 codec
> installs, and still the video chokes at the very start. Audio continues to
> play, until I decide to close WMP, and then I get about 10 clicks of the
> mouse and then it's system lock-up time.
>
> Thanks for your reply, but I tried that. :) 
>
>
>
> "George Ellis" wrote:
>
> > This is more likely a video driver or audio driver issue. Check with
the
> > mfgr of your hardware to see if there are updated drivers.
>
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 4:07:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

George,

<grin> System is not overclocked either. Want to take another stab at it?


Gil



"George Ellis" wrote:

> In that case, I would recommend Prime95 stress test run. If it is OC'ed,
> take it back to default. If the video card is OC'ed, take it back to
> default.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 4:07:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I just tried something. I opened WMP 10, played a file which did not play the
video portion. Then I closed the program with the "X"/Alt-F4 option and then
brought up the task manager. There was wmplayer still in memory. I killed
this process and was then able to start up another instance of WMP without
system lock-up.

This tells me that WMP is not closing properly when I select to close the
program, and appears to stop other processes already running, from being
called forward, unless it is first killed from the task manager. It's like it
is not responding to the end program call, but still lingering in memory. I
don't recall if this is normal behaviour.

I do have one plug-in operating in WMP, and I will remove it to see if this
fixes the problem, then I'll re-install it. I'll report back my results. Feel
free to offer other responses in light of this information.


Gil
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:33:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

MS posted a new version of WMP10 yesterday (10.00.00.3802). Try a new dl
from the WMP site.

"Gil Tennant" <gtennant (@) rogers (dot) com> wrote in message
news:2DD27805-378E-4888-9B4C-2AE5F17EB5AA@microsoft.com...
>I just tried something. I opened WMP 10, played a file which did not play
>the
> video portion. Then I closed the program with the "X"/Alt-F4 option and
> then
> brought up the task manager. There was wmplayer still in memory. I killed
> this process and was then able to start up another instance of WMP without
> system lock-up.
>
> This tells me that WMP is not closing properly when I select to close the
> program, and appears to stop other processes already running, from being
> called forward, unless it is first killed from the task manager. It's like
> it
> is not responding to the end program call, but still lingering in memory.
> I
> don't recall if this is normal behaviour.
>
> I do have one plug-in operating in WMP, and I will remove it to see if
> this
> fixes the problem, then I'll re-install it. I'll report back my results.
> Feel
> free to offer other responses in light of this information.
>
>
> Gil
>