DVD Burning shuts down XP!?

Reno

Folks:

Been burning DVD's for months without a hitch. All of a sudden today, when I
go to burn a disc, whamo, XP shuts down. No matter if I use ULEAD, Roxio or
NERO. I think the problem *MAY BE* that when I started Roxio Easy CD and DVD
burner the other day, it wanted to update itself, and of course I said OK.

I'm thinking this HAS to be the problem, but now how do I "correct" it?

I'm running XP SP1 on a 2.4 Pentium with a PLEXTOR 708A.

Should I uninstall Roxio? Or do I need a patch? Or a firmware update?

Thanks for any info and help!

Reno

"Reno" <reno1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> Folks:
>
> Been burning DVD's for months without a hitch. All of a sudden today, when
> go to burn a disc, whamo, XP shuts down. No matter if I use ULEAD, Roxio
or
> NERO. I think the problem *MAY BE* that when I started Roxio Easy CD and
DVD
> burner the other day, it wanted to update itself, and of course I said OK.
>
> I'm thinking this HAS to be the problem, but now how do I "correct" it?
>
> I'm running XP SP1 on a 2.4 Pentium with a PLEXTOR 708A.
>
> Should I uninstall Roxio? Or do I need a patch? Or a firmware update?
>
> Thanks for any info and help!
>
> Reno

Rollback using system restore. If it ain't broke... :)
Could also be a corrupted ASPI layer. http://tinyurl.com/ypdf8

Reno wrote:

> Folks:
>
> Been burning DVD's for months without a hitch. All of a sudden today, when I
> go to burn a disc, whamo, XP shuts down. No matter if I use ULEAD, Roxio or
> NERO. I think the problem *MAY BE* that when I started Roxio Easy CD and DVD
> burner the other day, it wanted to update itself, and of course I said OK.

First turn off the option to reboot XP in case of a STOP error, if you
haven't already.

If it is indeed a spontaneous reboot, you may have an unsufficient PSU.
Otherwise, take a look at the STOP error and/or minidump with
dumpcheck and determine the cause of the crash.

-WD

Reno

Hey Will,

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what you mean by PSU?

No STOP error or MINIDUMP????

Strange thing is..now it just did it while it XP was rebooting??? I don't
get it....I really don't....

Thanks,

Reno

Reno wrote:
> Hey Will,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what you mean by PSU?

PSU = Power Supply Unit.

> No STOP error or MINIDUMP????

Is that a question?

-WD

Reno

No, I meant there is none...nothing in the event log..and no minidump in
SYSTEM32/minidump...

> Reno wrote:
> > Hey Will,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what you mean by PSU?
>
> PSU = Power Supply Unit.
>

> > No STOP error or MINIDUMP????
>
> Is that a question?
>

> -WD

Reno

Also, did the XP System Rollback...same results..hardware?

Actualy, it shuts off during ENCODING, not burning....

Reno wrote:
> Also, did the XP System Rollback...same results..hardware?
>
> Actualy, it shuts off during ENCODING, not burning....

Make sure your CPU temp is under 65C during encoding. (Check with a
program like MBM5)

Otherwise your PSU is suspect, like I said earlier.

-WD