playing DVD's

My Sony laptop is supposed to play videos, but when I try to play one, it
tells me there is no disc inserted.
It plays music fine, but will not recognize a movie video.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Susanne

What DVD decoder is installed?
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
www.coribright.com

"Susanne2740" <Susanne2740@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Sony laptop is supposed to play videos, but when I try to play one, it
> tells me there is no disc inserted.
> It plays music fine, but will not recognize a movie video.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Susanne

As Cari notes... You need a DVD player application such as Intervideo
WinDVD loaded. It sounds like the missing piece is a MPEG codec which would
be loaded with the player (software). See if you have an installation CD in
your kit. Once you load it, it will play in that player software, and will
even play in Windows Media Player (with less 'grace').