Sony HD rumors?

I heard from a fellow indi producer with often good sources that Sony will
be bringing out later this year a 3 chip HD camcorder in the $10,000 range.
Does anyone have details on this rumor?

In article <Kg_ic.42827$um3.840045@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"tkranz" <tkranz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I heard from a fellow indi producer with often good sources that Sony will
> be bringing out later this year a 3 chip HD camcorder in the $10,000 range.
> Does anyone have details on this rumor?

Sony @ NAB and earlier Cebit Germany has a prototype HD cam on display
which looks essentially a HD 16x9 version of the VX2100 Sony mentions
$5,000 price range.

check it out at

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/sony-hdv-prototype-camcorder-03_17_0
4.htm

Cudex

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:15:06 GMT, "tkranz" <tkranz@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>Does anyone have details on this rumor?

Don't wet your pants yet ;-) It's HD-DV, or heavily compressed HD on
mini-DV. Wonder why they didn't come-up with a model which can run the
tape a double speed to have less compression. Would be such s simple
thing to do. And good for their maintenance people too, as it wears
out the heads much quicker :)

cheers

-martin-

--
filmmaker/DP/editor/filmschool techie
Sydney, Australia

"The world is on the move. Adopt, adapt, survive."

"Martin Heffels" <zurssryf@arjfthl.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:15:06 GMT, "tkranz" <tkranz@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have details on this rumor?
>
> Don't wet your pants yet ;-) It's HD-DV, or heavily compressed HD on
> mini-DV. Wonder why they didn't come-up with a model which can run the
> tape a double speed to have less compression. Would be such s simple
> thing to do. And good for their maintenance people too, as it wears
> out the heads much quicker :)

It's a consumer/prosumer camera. There are pro HD cameras available now.
It's just that you don't get pro at that price point.

I think it's a pretty cool development. People are making "movies" with
DV (also a consumer format, technically). I think the low end indi market
will eat this thing up if they give it a low enough frame rate. Considering
the
quality they have gotten out of DV, I think this thing may be fine. A low
frame
rate gives a few more bits per frame, plus there is probably some temporal
compression (if that is the correct term in this context) and that gives you
some more bits to work with (while making editing a little more complex).
I imagine there will be issues with high motion scenes, but a low frame
rates
inherently have issues with motion, so you should already be taking that
into
account when planning your shots.

David

"david.mccall" <david.mccallUNDERLINE@comcast.net>
wrote in message news:sn7jc.40464$_L6.2360156@attbi_s53...
> "Martin Heffels" <zurssryf@arjfthl.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:15:06 GMT, "tkranz" <tkranz@worldnet.att.net>
> > wrote:

> > >Does anyone have details on this rumor?

> > Don't wet your pants yet ;-) It's HD-DV, or heavily compressed HD on
> > mini-DV. Wonder why they didn't come-up with a model which can run the
> > tape a double speed to have less compression. Would be such s simple
> > thing to do. And good for their maintenance people too, as it wears
> > out the heads much quicker :)

> It's a consumer/prosumer camera. There are pro HD cameras available now.
> It's just that you don't get pro at that price point.
>
> I think it's a pretty cool development. People are making "movies" with
> DV (also a consumer format, technically). I think the low end indi market
> will eat this thing up if they give it a low enough frame rate. Considering
> the
> quality they have gotten out of DV, I think this thing may be fine. A low
> frame
> rate gives a few more bits per frame, plus there is probably some temporal
> compression (if that is the correct term in this context) and that gives you
> some more bits to work with (while making editing a little more complex).
> I imagine there will be issues with high motion scenes, but a low frame
> rates
> inherently have issues with motion, so you should already be taking that
> into
> account when planning your shots.
>
> David

If this article is correct (and I read it correctly), the image is 1080i (see:
www.camcorderinfo.com/content/sony-hdv-prototype-camcorder-03_17_04.htm),
and that gives the best of all worlds (higher resolution than 730p, full compatibility
with standard HDTVs, higher "frame" rate with the double-speed fields for best
motion-smoothness, and the ability to transfer to slower-rate film using the fields
as is now done with 60 fields/second NTSC "480i"). As for the recording time,
80-minute Mini-DV tapes are available now, and I'm guessing that a D8 camera
can be FireWire-connected for up to 2 hours and 15 minutes recording time on
a D8-90 tape in LP mode, if you dare risk that...;-) With 1080i, properly displayed
(rare, so far - most consumer HDTVs are still remarkably poor, and do not show
the high potential quality of this wonderful medium), the results can be astonishingly
good.
--
David Ruether
rpn1@cornell.edu

Five

In article <sn7jc.40464$_L6.2360156@attbi_s53>,
david.mccallUNDERLINE@comcast.net says...

> "Martin Heffels" <zurssryf@arjfthl.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:15:06 GMT, "tkranz" <tkranz@worldnet.att.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Does anyone have details on this rumor?
> >
> > Don't wet your pants yet ;-) It's HD-DV, or heavily compressed HD on
> > mini-DV. Wonder why they didn't come-up with a model which can run the
> > tape a double speed to have less compression. Would be such s simple
> > thing to do. And good for their maintenance people too, as it wears
> > out the heads much quicker :)
> >
> It's a consumer/prosumer camera. There are pro HD cameras available now.
> It's just that you don't get pro at that price point.
>
> I think it's a pretty cool development. People are making "movies" with
> DV (also a consumer format, technically). I think the low end indi market
> will eat this thing up if they give it a low enough frame rate. Considering
> the
> quality they have gotten out of DV, I think this thing may be fine. A low
> frame
> rate gives a few more bits per frame, plus there is probably some temporal
> compression (if that is the correct term in this context) and that gives you
> some more bits to work with (while making editing a little more complex).
> I imagine there will be issues with high motion scenes, but a low frame
> rates
> inherently have issues with motion, so you should already be taking that
> into
> account when planning your shots.
>
> David

The biggest problem I see is that it is HDV. That is
taking a larger image, and compressing it more, and
also doing so in a lossy format to the same size of
capture media (DV tape).

We should at least get a larger tape even if that
requires us to use large DV tapes. IF size is of
concern, then using a new formulated 8mm tape would
offer longer potential run times due to the ability to
put more tape in the shell. You are creating a new
format, so why not a new tape size and formulation.
Speaking of which, panasonic pro has found the
advantage of using metal particle over me tapes.
The biggest of which is the problems of humidity,
causing the tape/head contact transfer issues adding
drop outs. That is another topic.

Anyone viewimg a wide screen image would have a TV
that can display progressive, so why not get rid of
the interlace? 720 p looks better on the proper
screen, and with motion. The size is easier to
compress as well, so you loose less on the tape.

Yeah wide screen HD sounds great....on paper.
I don't want it due to the problems after the cam.
If you take a larger image, and compress it more going
to the same size container, you will get something
that is prone to all sorts of quality issues.
This is further complicated when you go to the editing
stage. You cut it up, add effects, and transitions,
and then finalize it again to the same format (re-
compress it) remember it is a lossy format of higher
loss than standard DV. This becomes your master, and
then if you want to make DVD's, it gets compressed
once again. I can not see how this will be better
than what I already have...just wider.

I think if they want to go wide, using the formats we
have, a better option would be to go anamorphic. That
way, you have a wide image without adding file size.
This data can more easily go to 25meg formats. YOu
just need to make a special monitor that unstretches
for your display. Then you can edit and unstretch in
you editing package to get your proper propotions
digitally with out loss. So why not make an
anamorphic lens specifically for the camera, instead
of an after thought. That way you can eliminate the
problems associated with zoom.

What would I like to see?
I would like to see higher color signal processing
Larger chip 1/2 or 2/3, and if you go natively wide,
give it to me in 50meg format of your choosing, that
is not compressed more than 5-1 or offer me a real
time compressor to go to tape, that is non lossy, and
can come from tape out an SDI port or firewire2 to
restore the compression to its native form.
In other words....CCD to compressor to tape, then from
tape, through uncompressor our SDI.
I dont want to give up quality for the sake of going
wide. I want my tape to be the same quality as the
final cut master, not the master to be off lesser
quality of my source tape.
I want tape based format, for reliability, in the
field, and longer running times. Build the camera for
the shooter, not the editor. Disk based systems, have
too many potential buffer, laser, pickup problems and
always will in the real world.

"Five" <Niko@fiveminutesof_blank.com> wrote in message
> In article <sn7jc.40464$_L6.2360156@attbi_s53>,
> david.mccallUNDERLINE@comcast.net says...
> > "Martin Heffels" <zurssryf@arjfthl.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in message

> > It's a consumer/prosumer camera. There are pro HD cameras available now.
> > It's just that you don't get pro at that price point.
> >
> > I think it's a pretty cool development. People are making "movies" with
> > DV (also a consumer format, technically). I think the low end indi market
> > will eat this thing up if they give it a low enough frame rate. Considering the
> > quality they have gotten out of DV, I think this thing may be fine. A low frame
> > rate gives a few more bits per frame, plus there is probably some temporal
> > compression (if that is the correct term in this context) and that gives you
> > some more bits to work with (while making editing a little more complex).
> > I imagine there will be issues with high motion scenes, but a low frame rates
> > inherently have issues with motion, so you should already be taking that into
> > account when planning your shots.
> >
> > David

> The biggest problem I see is that it is HDV. That is
> taking a larger image, and compressing it more, and
> also doing so in a lossy format to the same size of
> capture media (DV tape).

Actually, the two compression types are quite different,
with different results. As I understand it, Mini-DV is
frame-by-frame MPEG1, with a data rate that provides
one hour of DV-SD compressed 5:1 to fit on Mini-DV
tapes (SP-mode). MPEG2 is not frame-by-frame, so it
is easier to compress a higher-resolution image to less than
the Mini-DV SP-mode data rate with picture quality that
is in some ways superior in terms of visible compression
artifacting (though this compression type is harder to edit
easily). Also, as I understand it, HDV is either 1080i
(with all the motion-advantages of interlacing), or 730p
(with a PS frame rate of 30, too slow to avoid motion
flickering easily).

> We should at least get a larger tape even if that
> requires us to use large DV tapes. IF size is of
> concern, then using a new formulated 8mm tape would
> offer longer potential run times due to the ability to
> put more tape in the shell. You are creating a new
> format, so why not a new tape size and formulation.

The HDV standard, as I understand, was set with
the original Mini-DV specs - but there has been a
considerable delay in its implementation. I would be
all for a larger tape format, though, if it made recordings
higher-quality and/or more secure - or easier to edit...

> Speaking of which, panasonic pro has found the
> advantage of using metal particle over me tapes.
> The biggest of which is the problems of humidity,
> causing the tape/head contact transfer issues adding
> drop outs. That is another topic.

From the old Hi-8 days, ME could hold more info,
but was less reliable for dropouts - and, as I understand
it ("AIUI"), Mini-DV tape is MP (the bandwidth is
sufficient for DV, and any extra would unlikely be
of much benefit, especially if ME is more "temporary"
than MP...).

> Anyone viewimg a wide screen image would have a TV
> that can display progressive, so why not get rid of
> the interlace? 720 p looks better on the proper
> screen, and with motion. The size is easier to
> compress as well, so you loose less on the tape.

Actually, what you see now as 730p is likely 60fps,
not 30 - 30 in a big, sharp screen, viewed close up,
with sharp individual video frames (unlike film, which is
generally shot at relatively slow shutter speeds, introducing
motion blur) would likely be unpleasant to view with
motion. SDTV has been interlaced for a reason - even
with lower resolution, motion problems make 30fps
PS-mode undesirable...

> Yeah wide screen HD sounds great....on paper.
> I don't want it due to the problems after the cam.
> If you take a larger image, and compress it more going
> to the same size container, you will get something
> that is prone to all sorts of quality issues.

Not necessarily... Look at some top-end broadcast
HDTV on a really good display (not easy to find...).
Even with a data rate *lower* than Mini-DV (D-25),
it looks GREAT, with very rarely detectable
compression artifacting (unlike Mini-DV, with a
higher data rate).

> This is further complicated when you go to the editing
> stage. You cut it up, add effects, and transitions,
> and then finalize it again to the same format (re-
> compress it) remember it is a lossy format of higher
> loss than standard DV. This becomes your master, and
> then if you want to make DVD's, it gets compressed
> once again. I can not see how this will be better
> than what I already have...just wider.

It can be better, MUCH better...;-)

> I think if they want to go wide, using the formats we
> have, a better option would be to go anamorphic. That
> way, you have a wide image without adding file size.
> This data can more easily go to 25meg formats. YOu
> just need to make a special monitor that unstretches
> for your display. Then you can edit and unstretch in
> you editing package to get your proper propotions
> digitally with out loss. So why not make an
> anamorphic lens specifically for the camera, instead
> of an after thought. That way you can eliminate the
> problems associated with zoom.

This is already being done. And some cameras
electronically compress the image horizontally, saving
all the pixels (though when stretched out to fill the wider
screen, the "unit area" resolution is lower than it is
with 4:3... (and I never liked the awkward 16:9 proportion
for image composition, anyway...;-).

> What would I like to see?
> I would like to see higher color signal processing
> Larger chip 1/2 or 2/3, and if you go natively wide,
> give it to me in 50meg format of your choosing, that
> is not compressed more than 5-1 or offer me a real
> time compressor to go to tape, that is non lossy, and
> can come from tape out an SDI port or firewire2 to
> restore the compression to its native form.

It's called D-50, with much lower than 5:1 compression...;-)
Still kinda 'spensive, though...

> In other words....CCD to compressor to tape, then from
> tape, through uncompressor our SDI.
> I dont want to give up quality for the sake of going
> wide. I want my tape to be the same quality as the
> final cut master, not the master to be off lesser
> quality of my source tape.

Likely nearly as close to true for HDV as for Mini-DV...

> I want tape based format, for reliability, in the
> field, and longer running times. Build the camera for
> the shooter, not the editor. Disk based systems, have
> too many potential buffer, laser, pickup problems and
> always will in the real world.

Not necessarily, but I prefer tape at this point, too...
--
David Ruether
rpn1@cornell.edu
http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

"Five" <Niko@fiveminutesof_blank.com> wrote in message
> In article <sn7jc.40464$_L6.2360156@attbi_s53>,
> david.mccallUNDERLINE@comcast.net says...
>
> The biggest problem I see is that it is HDV. That is
> taking a larger image, and compressing it more, and
> also doing so in a lossy format to the same size of
> capture media (DV tape).

It's a consumer format. Broadcast HDTV is 19megabits per second, this is 25

> We should at least get a larger tape even if that
> requires us to use large DV tapes. IF size is of
> concern, then using a new formulated 8mm tape would
> offer longer potential run times due to the ability to
> put more tape in the shell. You are creating a new
> format, so why not a new tape size and formulation.
> Speaking of which, panasonic pro has found the
> advantage of using metal particle over me tapes.
> The biggest of which is the problems of humidity,
> causing the tape/head contact transfer issues adding
> drop outs. That is another topic.

Sony and Panasonic both have HD cameras that use larger tapes,
just not in the consumer line.

> Anyone viewimg a wide screen image would have a TV
> that can display progressive, so why not get rid of
> the interlace? 720 p looks better on the proper
> screen, and with motion. The size is easier to
> compress as well, so you loose less on the tape.

This has been covered a lot around here.
Interlace efectively doubles the temporal resolution.

> Yeah wide screen HD sounds great....on paper.
> I don't want it due to the problems after the cam.
> If you take a larger image, and compress it more going
> to the same size container, you will get something
> that is prone to all sorts of quality issues.
> This is further complicated when you go to the editing
> stage. You cut it up, add effects, and transitions,
> and then finalize it again to the same format (re-
> compress it) remember it is a lossy format of higher
> loss than standard DV. This becomes your master, and
> then if you want to make DVD's, it gets compressed
> once again. I can not see how this will be better
> than what I already have...just wider.

If you go back a few years you will see post that read
exactly like this but they were talking about why DV
wouldn't be of any value to profesionals.

> I think if they want to go wide, using the formats we
> have, a better option would be to go anamorphic. That
> way, you have a wide image without adding file size.
> This data can more easily go to 25meg formats. YOu
> just need to make a special monitor that unstretches
> for your display. Then you can edit and unstretch in
> you editing package to get your proper propotions
> digitally with out loss. So why not make an
> anamorphic lens specifically for the camera, instead
> of an after thought. That way you can eliminate the
> problems associated with zoom.

There is no need for an expensive anamorphic lens.
They can just make the chip wider.

> What would I like to see?
> I would like to see higher color signal processing
> Larger chip 1/2 or 2/3, and if you go natively wide,
> give it to me in 50meg format of your choosing, that
> is not compressed more than 5-1 or offer me a real
> time compressor to go to tape, that is non lossy, and
> can come from tape out an SDI port or firewire2 to
> restore the compression to its native form.
> In other words....CCD to compressor to tape, then from
> tape, through uncompressor our SDI.
> I dont want to give up quality for the sake of going
> wide. I want my tape to be the same quality as the
> final cut master, not the master to be off lesser
> quality of my source tape.

AFAIK you can get all of this now, just not in a consumer product.

> I want tape based format, for reliability, in the
> field, and longer running times. Build the camera for
> the shooter, not the editor. Disk based systems, have
> too many potential buffer, laser, pickup problems and
> always will in the real world.

I don't think I've ever heard anybody extolling the virtues
of tape being more reliable than anything but my memory :)

I'm looking towards the day when the very last tape jams,
and the final tube burns out.

David

"david.mccall" <david.mccallUNDERLINE@comcast.net> wrote in message news:s7ajc.41339$IW1.1965750@attbi_s52...

[....]
> I don't think I've ever heard anybody extolling the virtues
> of tape being more reliable than anything but my memory :)
>
> I'm looking towards the day when the very last tape jams,
> and the final tube burns out.
>
> David

Have a look at this....:
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486 .
The problem is that most people assume that computer-written
CD and DVD disks have the permanence of commercially-produced
pre-recorded disks. They don't. These disks we write to are dye images,
with all the problems these are subject to (remember the old Kodak
disclaimer, "Dye images may in time...." ?). HD data is also not very
permanent, as I understand it, especially if it is recorded high-density,
as it is in the newer large-capacity or physically very small HDs. Tapes,
properly handled and stored, may still offer some archival advantages,
hard as that is to believe about this obviously fragile and inadequate
medium. And, when was the last time you preferred to color-correct
material using a flat-panel display instead of a CRT...?;-)
Not that good/reliable non-tape/non-CRT solutions will not arrive,
but........;-)
--

David Ruether wrote:

> <snip> Tapes,
> properly handled and stored, may still offer some archival advantages,
> hard as that is to believe about this obviously fragile and inadequate
> medium.

Yeah - ever hear the story of trying to decode tapes recovered from East German secret police after the Wall came
down? I hear many of them literally disintegrated (no "Mission Impossible" stuff, just bad storage).

All this stuff is really depressing.

The rush to make everything digital with no good archival backups pretty much means that in a thousand years, if
humanity survives, nobody will have a clue about our civilization, while texts of the ancient Egyptians written
on papyrus buried in desert sand may still be found and read. It's kind of sad because it almost guarantees
another "dark ages" where much of the knowledge accumulated over centuries will be lost again and there will be
rumors of E.T.'s that built the skyscrapers (that remain). ;->

> And, when was the last time you preferred to color-correct
> material using a flat-panel display instead of a CRT...?;-)

When was the last time you were able to accurately calibrate two different monitors to come even close to the
same color rendition, much less accurate? Accurate color rendition is like the search for the Holy Grail. Which
is why I hang on to my 17" Viewsonic PT775 even though it's so small.

"David Ruether" <rpn1@no-junk.cornell.edu> wrote in message

> Not that good/reliable non-tape/non-CRT solutions will not arrive,
> but........;-)

That's OK. It's going to take a while for the last tape to jam,
and all of those damn tubes to burn out anyway.
I'm just looking forward to the day :)

wrote in message news:AEajc.41523$IW1.1978434@attbi_s52...
> "David Ruether" <rpn1@no-junk.cornell.edu> wrote in message

> > Not that good/reliable non-tape/non-CRT solutions will not arrive,
> > but........;-)

> That's OK. It's going to take a while for the last tape to jam,
> and all of those damn tubes to burn out anyway.
> I'm just looking forward to the day :)
>
> David

Yes - I think we all are...;-)
Thet day just ain't here, yet, darn...! ;-)
--

"Keith Clark" <clarkphotography@hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:408D3CF0.F3B2C562@hotmail.com...
> David Ruether wrote:

> > <snip> Tapes,
> > properly handled and stored, may still offer some archival advantages,
> > hard as that is to believe about this obviously fragile and inadequate
> > medium.

> Yeah - ever hear the story of trying to decode tapes recovered from East German secret police after the Wall came
> down? I hear many of them literally disintegrated (no "Mission Impossible" stuff, just bad storage).
> All this stuff is really depressing.

Yes. On the "good" side, though, is the relatively good condition of
the early audio tapes in the Lomax '50s folk collection, the Cornell
"Bird Lab" animal-sound collection, etc. With luck in selecting good
original tape and with storage conditions, this stuff on tape can be
with us a very long time (or it can be lost quickly, with poor materials
and storage/handling).

> The rush to make everything digital with no good archival backups pretty much means that in a thousand years, if
> humanity survives, nobody will have a clue about our civilization, while texts of the ancient Egyptians written
> on papyrus buried in desert sand may still be found and read. It's kind of sad because it almost guarantees
> another "dark ages" where much of the knowledge accumulated over centuries will be lost again and there will be
> rumors of E.T.'s that built the skyscrapers (that remain). ;->

Yes. We are currently VERY dependent on the continuity of
economic and political institutions for the continuance of what
we call civilization. The details are "in memory" as much as in
"hard copy" - and a loss of either would be disasterous. Let
us hope that leaders with long-term "vision" predominate, or
we are likely to have a short "civilization", as such things go in
history. Issues of not only "memory/hard-copy retention", but
also of "life-sustainability" (environment/economics) and
"social-grace" (just political systems), are essential to be dealt
with, too...;-)

> > And, when was the last time you preferred to color-correct
> > material using a flat-panel display instead of a CRT...?;-)

> When was the last time you were able to accurately calibrate two different monitors to come even close to the
> same color rendition, much less accurate? Accurate color rendition is like the search for the Holy Grail. Which
> is why I hang on to my 17" Viewsonic PT775 even though it's so small.

Ah, yes - but perfection is always elusive, though a good
approximation is much easier to obtain (and that is superior
to anything that is obviously a poor approximation...;-).
--

David Ruether wrote:

> Ah, yes - but perfection is always elusive, though a good
> approximation is much easier to obtain (and that is superior
> to anything that is obviously a poor approximation...;-).

That's a great quote!

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:49:20 GMT, Five <Niko@fiveminutesof_blank.com>
wrote:

>In article <sn7jc.40464$_L6.2360156@attbi_s53>,
>david.mccallUNDERLINE@comcast.net says...
>>
>> "Martin Heffels" <zurssryf@arjfthl.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in message

>> > Don't wet your pants yet ;-) It's HD-DV, or heavily compressed HD on
>> > mini-DV. Wonder why they didn't come-up with a model which can run the
>> > tape a double speed to have less compression.

Time -- this is a consumer format, not a professional format. The
adjustment was to change the compression, not the tape. Plain old
everyday broadcast ATSC is 19.4Mb/s in the USA, 24Mb/s in Japan and on
some satellite systems. So the 25Mb/s of plain old DV tape is a fine
match. It will support broadcast quality, IF your electronics are
capable of delivering broadcast quality.

And in fact, they aren't. The current HDV format, as I understand it,
cuts corners. The JVC camcorder, the first out (before they were
really trying to make this a standard) is doing 720/30p, which
requires half the bandwidth of the broadcast 720/60p format. So
they're far less aggressive on compress than broadcast. Same with
their interlaced format -- they're not actually recording 1920 pixels
in their 1080/60i format, but something less that'll be stretched to
1920 in post.

>> It's a consumer/prosumer camera. There are pro HD cameras available now.
>> It's just that you don't get pro at that price point.

Yup. And they have a vested interest in keeping the two separate.

>> I think it's a pretty cool development. People are making "movies" with
>> DV (also a consumer format, technically). I think the low end indi market
>> will eat this thing up if they give it a low enough frame rate.

They'd still like 24p rather than 30p I imagine, at least now.
Eventually, the theatres will all have digital projectors that can
handle multiple playback formats, and that won't matter so much. This,
too, may be a thing you don't see on the prosumer models for awhile.
Which is very silly -- any camera that can do 30p should be able to do
24p with a few software tweaks (maybe additional PLL settings in the
hardware). Not meaningful extra expense. The 24p vs. 30p would also
allow less aggressive MPEG-2 compression.

>The biggest problem I see is that it is HDV. That is
>taking a larger image, and compressing it more, and
>also doing so in a lossy format to the same size of
>capture media (DV tape).

Well, DV itself is a lossy format. This is too, being MPEG-2, but it's
also a more technologically advanced format than DV. There's no reason
this is a drop in quality from DV -- in fact, it should be much higher
quality. The real question is these first implementations: as anyone
like me who's made a few hundred VideoCDs and DVDs can attest, MPEG
compression is easy to do wrong. If their hardware isn't up to par,
that's where you'll have issues. It's dramatically more complex than
DV, there are many things that can go wrong.

>We should at least get a larger tape even if that
>requires us to use large DV tapes. IF size is of
>concern, then using a new formulated 8mm tape would
>offer longer potential run times due to the ability to
>put more tape in the shell.

I think it was simple: DV is here, it's designed for digital data, and
the bitrate exceeds that of broadcast. What would they do, for the
consumer, any differently.

You'll pay for this, but that's in post. MPEG-2 editing in HD is
possible; Vegas has done this for awhile, most of the high-end NLEs
are either supporting it or about to. But it's slow, and it's still
slow on the fastest PC you can get. It gets better if you can throw a
few PCs at it -- some of the NLEs initially targeting HD were designed
from the get-go to use a whole network for rendering.

>You are creating a new
>format, so why not a new tape size and formulation.

That's hard to do, and expensive. What if your new format fails --
just go ask any MicroMV owners if they're concerned about getting
tapes. You'd need at least 5x-10x the storage of the DV tape.

>Anyone viewimg a wide screen image would have a TV
>that can display progressive, so why not get rid of
>the interlace?

Most people like 1080i over 720p. Both are useful tools; a real
720/60p would be better for fast motion than 1080/60i. For anything
with detail, you'll want 1080i... and a monitor that's actually up to
that resolution. Most of the LCDs and many of the plasmas are just up
to the 720p level. So sure, you don't see any difference, but that's
the monitor, not the format.

The other reason: most networks want 1080i. Only ABC, so far, is
backing 720p.

>The size is easier to
>compress as well, so you loose less on the tape.

Real 1080/60i is only 12% larger than real 720/60p. Not a significant
difference.

>Yeah wide screen HD sounds great....on paper.
>I don't want it due to the problems after the cam.
>If you take a larger image, and compress it more going
>to the same size container, you will get something
>that is prone to all sorts of quality issues.

Again, depends on the camera. If you watched as much HDTV as I do, you
would not know it's not an intrinsic problem of the format: broadcast
HDTV eats DV for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. With acceptable HD
tools in place, I would think of going back to DV much as, being on DV
today, I think of going back to VHS: GOD NO, NOT THAT AGAIN!

>This is further complicated when you go to the editing
>stage. You cut it up, add effects, and transitions,
>and then finalize it again to the same format (re-
>compress it) remember it is a lossy format of higher
>loss than standard DV. This becomes your master, and
>then if you want to make DVD's, it gets compressed
>once again. I can not see how this will be better
>than what I already have...just wider.

Scaling down to HD, I very much doubt any compression artifacts remain
even as visible as DV compression artifacts do into DVD. For VHS-D,
I'm not sure you necessarily have to recompress at all, though you
probably do today, with conventional editing (unless you only cut on
GOP boundaries, you probably have to re-render it all). But that is
today -- as MPEG-2 becomes an editing format, apps will get better at
editing it.

I think the big fear would be CPU time -- when your image is 6x
larger, everything you do today will take 6x longer to do: rendering,
etc. Plus, MPEG-2 takes longer to decompress than DV, and it requires
lots of full-frame buffering (to deal transparently with B and P
frames). So it's likely to be more memory hungry as well.

>I think if they want to go wide, using the formats we
>have, a better option would be to go anamorphic.

That's widescreen, not HD. You can do that today, poorly, with nearly
any DV or Digital8 camera, and well with a handful. That's fine for
DVD. It's not even remotely a substitute for HD, if you really want
HD. Widescreen or standard, a 1080i picture is 6x larger than a DV
picture. That is significant.

>That
>way, you have a wide image without adding file size.
>This data can more easily go to 25meg formats.

16:9 has always been supported as part of the DV standard. Most people
have it today, though not always ideal implementations.

>So why not make an
>anamorphic lens specifically for the camera, instead
>of an after thought. That way you can eliminate the
>problems associated with zoom.

Why not just design-in a real 16:9 mode, and elimintate the
animporphic lens? That's the current trend, showing up already in a
few pro and prosumer cameras. It's the one actual advantage to video
of using these large pixel-count CCDs: you can crop in various ways,
combine groups of real pixels into DV pixels in different ways, etc.

>What would I like to see?
>I would like to see higher color signal processing
>Larger chip 1/2 or 2/3, and if you go natively wide,
>give it to me in 50meg format of your choosing, that
>is not compressed more than 5-1

Again, widescreen in standard definition has been around for years. It
doesn't change the DV format at all, only the human interpretation of
what's put on DV tape. HDTV is considerably more than just widescreen,
and it would need far more than a doubling of storage to do in a
DV-like format, rather than MPEG-2.

Dave Haynie | Chief Toady, Frog Pond Media Consulting
dhaynie@jersey.net| Take Back Freedom! Bush no more in 2004!
"Deathbed Vigil" now on DVD! See http://www.frogpondmedia.com

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:29:02 GMT, "David Ruether"
<rpn1@no-junk.cornell.edu> wrote:

>"Five" <Niko@fiveminutesof_blank.com> wrote in message

>> The biggest problem I see is that it is HDV. That is
>> taking a larger image, and compressing it more, and
>> also doing so in a lossy format to the same size of
>> capture media (DV tape).

>Actually, the two compression types are quite different,
>with different results.

Yup.

>As I understand it, Mini-DV is frame-by-frame MPEG1,

Not really. MPEG-1/2 I-Frames are in the same basic family as DV
frames, but they're not the same. DV is closer still to Motion JPEG,
but [naturally] a more rigid standard (MJPEG is kind of an ad-hoc
thing), with optimizations for interlaced video, like the MPEG folks
introduced in MPEG-2. All are the same basic family, using a
reversible discrete cosine transform to change pixel blocks, or
macroblocks (sizes depend on the spec, but usually 8x8 or 16x16
pixels, though modern formats like H.264 have a variable block size)
of spatial information into pixel blocks of frequency information,
which is then quantized (low-pass filtered in spatial terms) and then
compressed losslessly with something like Huffmann encoding. It's the
quantization pass that results in the loss, for this kind of
compression. MPEG can use different quantizing factors for each
macroblock, not done in MJPEG and I don't believe in DV, resulting in
a 10-20% density improvement, even in I-Frame-only video.

> with a data rate that provides one hour of DV-SD compressed
> 5:1 to fit on Mini-DV tapes (SP-mode).

Yup. That's about a 12GB tape. And naturally, as DV is compressed
frame by frame, it's very thing to edit, as each frame is like every
other, and independent of every other.

>MPEG2 is not frame-by-frame, so it
>is easier to compress a higher-resolution image to less than
>the Mini-DV SP-mode data rate with picture quality that
>is in some ways superior in terms of visible compression
>artifacting (though this compression type is harder to edit
>easily).

Yup. MPEG-2 is actually compressed in units called GOPs (Group of
Pictures). Each GOP starts with an I-Frame (Independent Frame), that's
more or less like a DV or MJPEG frame. GOPs also include two other
kinds of frames: P-Frames and B-Frames.

A P-Frame (predictive frame) can follow an I-Frame, and this is now
changing from the spatial redundancy of JPEG/DV to temporal
redundancy. It's usually the case that one frame is very much like the
next. So when you're encoding that next frame, various algorithms
figure out motion vectors: where each macroblock in the I-Frame can be
found in the current frame, to a 1/2 pixel accuracy. The P-Frame,
thus, only needs to store these vectors, and the error terms: the real
difference between the I-Frame and the current frame. The P-Frame is
usually dramatically smaller than the I-Frame, but of course, it
doesn't existing independently, you have to have the I-Frame.

Next is the B-Frame (bidirectional predictive frame) can be predicted
from I-Frames or P-Frames, both forward and backward. Otherwise,
similar to the P-Frame.

There are lots of resources on MPEG-2 if you want to learn more, or
want a better explanation.

>Also, as I understand it, HDV is either 1080i
>(with all the motion-advantages of interlacing), or 730p
>(with a PS frame rate of 30, too slow to avoid motion
>flickering easily).

720/30p, actually. That's 1280x720 at 30fps, progressive. As mentioned
before, the ATSC/HDTV standard is actually 720/60p. This is going to
be jerky, like film. Whether that's a problem or not, I guess, depends
on whether you wanted film or video. If they're really targeting film
replacmenet with these cameras, this can't really be too much of an
issue, but they should have a 24p mode, too.

Real visual flicker won't be an issue; no one would actually view this
at a hardware 30fps. Assuming ATSC systems are happy with 720/30p (I
think it's on the list -- a total of 18 formats are supported within
ATSC), they would upconver to either 720/60p or 1080/60i.

>> We should at least get a larger tape even if that
>> requires us to use large DV tapes. IF size is of
>> concern, then using a new formulated 8mm tape would
>> offer longer potential run times due to the ability to
>> put more tape in the shell. You are creating a new
>> format, so why not a new tape size and formulation.

>The HDV standard, as I understand, was set with
>the original Mini-DV specs - but there has been a
>considerable delay in its implementation.

I rather doubt it. For one, I don't think the whole "Grand Alliance"
had settled on everything that was going into HDTV by the time the DV
specs were set in stone. And then there's the fact that the two JVC
camcorders came out BEFORE the industry got together and dubbed this
HDV. And then there's this from www.hdv-info.org:

Tokyo, Japan, September 30, 2003 - Canon Inc., Sharp
Corporation, Sony Corporation, and Victor Company of Japan,
Limited (JVC) today announced that the specifications which
realize the recording and playback of high-definition video on

a DV cassette tape have been established as the “HDV” format.
The four companies proposed the basic specifications for the
format in July 2003 and have received supportive opinions from

many companies. The specifications for the HDV format will
become available from the beginning of October 2003. The four
companies will also propose the format as an international
standard format.

"tkranz" <tkranz@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I heard from a fellow indi producer with often good sources that Sony will
> be bringing out later this year a 3 chip HD camcorder in the $10,000
range.
> Does anyone have details on this rumor?

I bought a cammie today from a guy who just got back from NAB. Here's the
skinny.

It's true -- Sony is talking about introducing a HD DVCAM camcorder later
this year that will sell at a price point of around $7,000. But the only
one they had at the NAB was in a box, and nobody could actually put their
hands on it. You're probably looking at November or December at the
earliest.

Randy