Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

video files "Thumbnail" View only works on .wmv and, .mpg files. .avi files
only show the media player icon. What may be wrong?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"George Ellis" wrote:

> Two possible reasons, if they are large AVIs, it may take longer to create a
> thumbnail. Or, the could be DivX AVI files and the codec is not loaded (but
> if you played them, that would not be true.) Does waiting in the directory
> make a difference? Also, on the tools, options for the explorer window,
> view, is Do not cache thumbnails checked?
>
> "dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > video files "Thumbnail" View only works on .wmv and, .mpg files. .avi
> files
> > only show the media player icon. What may be wrong?
> > --

I reinstalled DivX521XP. It didn't change anything. The AVI files are mostly
small and the "cache thumbnails" box is not checked. The thumbnails view used
to work fine, untill about a month ago. It is probably something I have done,
fortunatly it doesn't cause any other problem. I don't know much about
editing registry keys, if you do please give me some hints.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"George Ellis" wrote:

> Two possible reasons, if they are large AVIs, it may take longer to create a
> thumbnail. Or, the could be DivX AVI files and the codec is not loaded (but
> if you played them, that would not be true.) Does waiting in the directory
> make a difference? Also, on the tools, options for the explorer window,
> view, is Do not cache thumbnails checked?
>
> "dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > video files "Thumbnail" View only works on .wmv and, .mpg files. .avi
> files
> > only show the media player icon. What may be wrong?
> > --
> Recieved another response that really did the trick check this link if you are interested
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/videothumb.htm

SCORPIO

Can I decide what picture should show in "thumbnail" view?
Several of my thumbnails are just black rectangles and some
have a bit of graphics which I cannot associate with the
main video file. Any further light on this aspect will be
appreciated.