Animating text to music in After Effects 6

I have been watching a dvd demo on AE 6 and it showed an feature where a
line of text had been animated so that the individual letters would grow big
and small in a sort of random order but in synch to a music track.
The demo mentions something called pick whip expressions to link the sound
beats to the text movements.
What I dont get is:
how do you get the individual letters to change? must each letter be on a
separate text layer? this seems very tedious so I assume that there's
another way. I sort of understand how to apply the music to the animated
letters but this first step on chanhing individual letters in a text line is
confounding me.
and are there any tutorials that I could find to learn a few of these
interesting effects?
thanks for any advice.

As far as I know, when you pick experessions and connect parameteres to
expression output you are doing it to the layer. You may have to have a
layer for each letter.

You can use the audio as a source for an effect parameter. It is sometimes
better to prefilter the audio so you only have the actual beats.

"Luis ORTEGA" <lortega@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I have been watching a dvd demo on AE 6 and it showed an feature where a
> line of text had been animated so that the individual letters would grow
big
> and small in a sort of random order but in synch to a music track.
> The demo mentions something called pick whip expressions to link the sound
> beats to the text movements.
> What I dont get is:
> how do you get the individual letters to change? must each letter be on a
> separate text layer? this seems very tedious so I assume that there's
> another way. I sort of understand how to apply the music to the animated
> letters but this first step on chanhing individual letters in a text line
is
> confounding me.
> and are there any tutorials that I could find to learn a few of these
> interesting effects?
> thanks for any advice.

TRENDING THREADS