Windows Movie Maker nor Ulead recognizes my connection - f..

I have a Canon XL1s and when I connect it through firewire to my
computer, the computer doesn't recognize it. I spoke to Canon and they said
as long as the camera says DV IN, it's not a problem on the camera end, which
it does say. When I go into Device Manager, it shows the card installed
fine. Do you think I got a bad card (it's brand new) and need to get another
one? Any other suggestions? Thank you so much.

Camera should be turned on and in VCR mode.... and connected to A/C power
rather than its internal battery.

Next thing to check is the cable.
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
www.coribright.com

"Ded" <Ded@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Canon XL1s and when I connect it through firewire to my
> computer, the computer doesn't recognize it. I spoke to Canon and they
> said
> as long as the camera says DV IN, it's not a problem on the camera end,
> which
> it does say. When I go into Device Manager, it shows the card installed
> fine. Do you think I got a bad card (it's brand new) and need to get
> another
> one? Any other suggestions? Thank you so much.

Yes, all those are correct. I tried a couple cables, same result. I had
Service Pack 1 (XP), so I got all the updates and went to Service Pack 2,
still no connection. One weird thing though, if I connect the cables before
starting the computer, once the computer starts up, if I remove the cable
from the Canon XL1s, a "ding" sound goes off, but I never get that sound
again by putting it back in (as I hear I should get based on other posts"),
any clues what's going on? Thanks.