Windows Movie Maker nor Ulead recognizes my connection - f..

I have a Canon XL1s and when I connect it through firewire to my
computer, the computer doesn't recognize it. I spoke to Canon and they said
as long as the camera says DV IN, it's not a problem on the camera end, which
it does say. When I go into Device Manager, it shows the card installed
fine. Do you think I got a bad card (it's brand new) and need to get another
one? Any other suggestions? Thank you so much.
2 answers Last reply
More about windows movie maker ulead recognizes connection

    Camera should be turned on and in VCR mode.... and connected to A/C power
    rather than its internal battery.

    Next thing to check is the cable.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
    www.coribright.com

    "Ded" <Ded@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Canon XL1s and when I connect it through firewire to my
    > computer, the computer doesn't recognize it. I spoke to Canon and they
    > said
    > as long as the camera says DV IN, it's not a problem on the camera end,
    > which
    > it does say. When I go into Device Manager, it shows the card installed
    > fine. Do you think I got a bad card (it's brand new) and need to get
    > another
    > one? Any other suggestions? Thank you so much.

    Yes, all those are correct. I tried a couple cables, same result. I had
    Service Pack 1 (XP), so I got all the updates and went to Service Pack 2,
    still no connection. One weird thing though, if I connect the cables before
    starting the computer, once the computer starts up, if I remove the cable
    from the Canon XL1s, a "ding" sound goes off, but I never get that sound
    again by putting it back in (as I hear I should get based on other posts"),
    any clues what's going on? Thanks.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Camera should be turned on and in VCR mode.... and connected to A/C power
    > rather than its internal battery.
    >
    > Next thing to check is the cable.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Ded" <Ded@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a Canon XL1s and when I connect it through firewire to my
    > > computer, the computer doesn't recognize it. I spoke to Canon and they
    > > said
    > > as long as the camera says DV IN, it's not a problem on the camera end,
    > > which
    > > it does say. When I go into Device Manager, it shows the card installed
    > > fine. Do you think I got a bad card (it's brand new) and need to get
    > > another
    > > one? Any other suggestions? Thank you so much.

Video Connection Windows Movie Maker Windows XP