Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

"Selectable Focus Point" feature on Canon?

Tags:
  • Cameras
  • Canon
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 12:45:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

A friend of mine has a Canon digital camera with a feature that will
show you on the LCD display which areas of the picture the camera can
auto-focus on and allow you to change the selection. What is the term
for this feature? And is it available in cameras other than Canon?

Thanks, -JZ

More about : selectable focus point feature canon

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:27:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

In article <of1vo05b2spldvqb7uk5cbob87kubu9u71@4ax.com>, Slambram
<jz@blahremoveblah.zabram.com> writes
>A friend of mine has a Canon digital camera with a feature that will
>show you on the LCD display which areas of the picture the camera can
>auto-focus on and allow you to change the selection. What is the term
>for this feature? And is it available in cameras other than Canon?
>
In the Pentax Optio it's called Focusing Area Mode.
--
Thoss
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 5:05:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

In article <4191f426$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, BJ <noreply@noemail.com>
writes
>Is this feature equivalent in all Optio cameras though?
>
>> In article <of1vo05b2spldvqb7uk5cbob87kubu9u71@4ax.com>, Slambram
>> <jz@blahremoveblah.zabram.com> writes
>>>A friend of mine has a Canon digital camera with a feature that will
>>>show you on the LCD display which areas of the picture the camera can
>>>auto-focus on and allow you to change the selection. What is the term
>>>for this feature? And is it available in cameras other than Canon?
>>>
>> In the Pentax Optio it's called Focusing Area Mode.
>> --
Probably not. I only referred to the Optio 750Z manual.
--
Thoss
Related resources
November 11, 2004 12:57:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

Is this feature equivalent in all Optio cameras though?
The Optio I have (only a low range Optio 30 model) only allows me to choose
from:
Spot AF
5 Point AF

In 5 point AF it might lock in on one
"point". I can't switch which point this lock is on. If it focuses somewhere
I dont' want it to I need to switch to Spot or use manual focus.

My understanding of this Canon feature is that it might allow you to switch
focus to one of the other "spots" while in a multi-focus mode.


"thoss" <thoss@thoss.plus.com> wrote in message
news:ilZIyCBZ55jBFwQ1@thoss.plus.com...
> In article <of1vo05b2spldvqb7uk5cbob87kubu9u71@4ax.com>, Slambram
> <jz@blahremoveblah.zabram.com> writes
>>A friend of mine has a Canon digital camera with a feature that will
>>show you on the LCD display which areas of the picture the camera can
>>auto-focus on and allow you to change the selection. What is the term
>>for this feature? And is it available in cameras other than Canon?
>>
> In the Pentax Optio it's called Focusing Area Mode.
> --
> Thoss
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 1:01:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:45:52 -0500, Slambram
<jz@blahremoveblah.zabram.com> wrote:

>A friend of mine has a Canon digital camera with a feature that will
>show you on the LCD display which areas of the picture the camera can
>auto-focus on and allow you to change the selection. What is the term
>for this feature? And is it available in cameras other than Canon?
>
>Thanks, -JZ

You don't say what model your friend has...
For my Canon A75, it is called "Light Metering Mode."
The three choices are:
Evaluative
Center-Weighted Averaging
Spot AE Point
I assume the feature/term is the same across the Canon digital line,
but that may be a bad assumption.
- Bob (In Tulsa)
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 11:16:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

X-No-Archive: yes

They are called auto focus points. EOS digital Rebel has seven. Just
found out 30 min's ago in fact. Check the sit. www.usa.canon.com
oodles of info.

>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:45:52 -0500, Slambram
><jz@blahremoveblah.zabram.com> wrote:
>
>>A friend of mine has a Canon digital camera with a feature that will
>>show you on the LCD display which areas of the picture the camera can
>>auto-focus on and allow you to change the selection. What is the term
>>for this feature? And is it available in cameras other than Canon?
>>
>>Thanks, -JZ
>
>You don't say what model your friend has...
>For my Canon A75, it is called "Light Metering Mode."
>The three choices are:
> Evaluative
> Center-Weighted Averaging
> Spot AE Point
>I assume the feature/term is the same across the Canon digital line,
>but that may be a bad assumption.
>- Bob (In Tulsa)
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 2:05:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:16:18 GMT, rumpledickskin <bark@the.moon>
wrote:

>X-No-Archive: yes
>
>They are called auto focus points. EOS digital Rebel has seven. Just
>found out 30 min's ago in fact. Check the sit. www.usa.canon.com
>oodles of info.
>
>>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:45:52 -0500, Slambram
>><jz@blahremoveblah.zabram.com> wrote:
>>
>>>A friend of mine has a Canon digital camera with a feature that will
>>>show you on the LCD display which areas of the picture the camera can
>>>auto-focus on and allow you to change the selection. What is the term
>>>for this feature? And is it available in cameras other than Canon?

On the Canon G6 there is AIAF (artificial intelligence af) which
auto-calculates the best? zone to focus from 9 points .. there is
"floating" AF ie the focus point can be, manualy, moved freely around
the picture (over 300 positions so the manual claims) and there is the
simple fixed, centered AF
HTH
!