Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

wireless network problem (after service pack 2)

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Wireless Network
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 15, 2004 10:11:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

after i installed service pack 2 on my second computer which uses the
wireless adapter it fails to work. when i delete it from the perfered
networks list, it automatically fines the correct network (SSID) then attemps
to connect ... no matter the conectivity (usually good or verry good) the
status becomes aquiring network address (didnt it already find this when it
searched for networks in range?) then it times out of that operation and says
"Status: limited or no connectivity" ... this makes no sense to me since it
finds the correct network and everything ... why is this happening? NOTE:
before SP2 i had it working perfectly fine with WEP encryption i have tried
no encryption and WEP also ... i am using a linksys wireless B router, but
really im quite sure that SP2 has something to do with this, since this is
exactly when my wireless stopped working. please does anyone know what is
wrong?

More about : wireless network problem service pack

September 15, 2004 11:20:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

The "limited connectivity" warning notice is because your wireless NIC
can't find a DHCP server. DHCP is what hands out IP addresses to network
cards. Since the card can't get an address by DHCP, it gives itself one
in the 169.254.x.x range.

I assume your other computer gets an address just fine, your DHCP server
works. So the problem is in the wireless computer.

If your network has worked before and you have a history of
spyware/adware/virus infections, then there could be a problem with
winsock or the TCP/IP stack on the wireless computer.

Install, update and run full scans using Spybot Search & Destroy,
Ad-Aware and your favorite antivirus software to remove any current
infection.

Then try resetting your winsock with this article:

[Either of these could break third party network software like Novell
Client, Cisco VPN, etc. These need to be uninstalled and reinstalled.]

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259
How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811259&Product=winxp>

If this is not successful, try this one:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 299357
How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357&Product=winxp>

Lance
*****

qwerty thought carefully and wrote on 9/15/2004 6:11 PM:
> after i installed service pack 2 on my second computer which uses the
> wireless adapter it fails to work. when i delete it from the perfered
> networks list, it automatically fines the correct network (SSID) then attemps
> to connect ... no matter the conectivity (usually good or verry good) the
> status becomes aquiring network address (didnt it already find this when it
> searched for networks in range?) then it times out of that operation and says
> "Status: limited or no connectivity" ... this makes no sense to me since it
> finds the correct network and everything ... why is this happening? NOTE:
> before SP2 i had it working perfectly fine with WEP encryption i have tried
> no encryption and WEP also ... i am using a linksys wireless B router, but
> really im quite sure that SP2 has something to do with this, since this is
> exactly when my wireless stopped working. please does anyone know what is
> wrong?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 17, 2004 3:19:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Since installing SP2, I have a problem with my wireless connection. I use a
Netgear MA101 which worked perfectly prior to SP2. The problem I have is
that the WEP key settings (length) seem to be overwritten when starting up.
I can change the settings using the Adapter Utility and the the wireless
functions normally. It looks like SP2 is overridding settings. Any ideas.

"qwerty" wrote:

> after i installed service pack 2 on my second computer which uses the
> wireless adapter it fails to work. when i delete it from the perfered
> networks list, it automatically fines the correct network (SSID) then attemps
> to connect ... no matter the conectivity (usually good or verry good) the
> status becomes aquiring network address (didnt it already find this when it
> searched for networks in range?) then it times out of that operation and says
> "Status: limited or no connectivity" ... this makes no sense to me since it
> finds the correct network and everything ... why is this happening? NOTE:
> before SP2 i had it working perfectly fine with WEP encryption i have tried
> no encryption and WEP also ... i am using a linksys wireless B router, but
> really im quite sure that SP2 has something to do with this, since this is
> exactly when my wireless stopped working. please does anyone know what is
> wrong?
Related resources
September 17, 2004 11:51:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

You're using the utility that came with the adapter? Turn off Wireless
Zero Configuration service. Both the utility and WZC are trying to
configure the adapter.

Start/Run/type in services.msc, hit return. Find Wireless Zero
Configuration service in the list and disable it.

Lance
*****

Alan Davies thought carefully and wrote on 9/17/2004 11:19 AM:

> Since installing SP2, I have a problem with my wireless connection. I use a
> Netgear MA101 which worked perfectly prior to SP2. The problem I have is
> that the WEP key settings (length) seem to be overwritten when starting up.
> I can change the settings using the Adapter Utility and the the wireless
> functions normally. It looks like SP2 is overridding settings. Any ideas.
>
> "qwerty" wrote:
>
>
>>after i installed service pack 2 on my second computer which uses the
>>wireless adapter it fails to work. when i delete it from the perfered
>>networks list, it automatically fines the correct network (SSID) then attemps
>>to connect ... no matter the conectivity (usually good or verry good) the
>>status becomes aquiring network address (didnt it already find this when it
>>searched for networks in range?) then it times out of that operation and says
>>"Status: limited or no connectivity" ... this makes no sense to me since it
>>finds the correct network and everything ... why is this happening? NOTE:
>>before SP2 i had it working perfectly fine with WEP encryption i have tried
>>no encryption and WEP also ... i am using a linksys wireless B router, but
>>really im quite sure that SP2 has something to do with this, since this is
>>exactly when my wireless stopped working. please does anyone know what is
>>wrong?
September 18, 2004 5:29:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I have had similar problem after installing SP2 today. Did anybody find a
working solution?

After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless network
but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems prior
to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any other
way. The same network connection with my ethernet adapter works just fine
with no problems.

I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.

I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
WiFi connections.

Tomi

"qwerty" wrote:

> after i installed service pack 2 on my second computer which uses the
> wireless adapter it fails to work. when i delete it from the perfered
> networks list, it automatically fines the correct network (SSID) then attemps
> to connect ... no matter the conectivity (usually good or verry good) the
> status becomes aquiring network address (didnt it already find this when it
> searched for networks in range?) then it times out of that operation and says
> "Status: limited or no connectivity" ... this makes no sense to me since it
> finds the correct network and everything ... why is this happening? NOTE:
> before SP2 i had it working perfectly fine with WEP encryption i have tried
> no encryption and WEP also ... i am using a linksys wireless B router, but
> really im quite sure that SP2 has something to do with this, since this is
> exactly when my wireless stopped working. please does anyone know what is
> wrong?
September 18, 2004 6:19:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I even tried to reinstall TCP/IP as described in Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article - 811259. No help. According to intel the driver I'm using should be
SP2 compatible.

Tomi

"Tomi" wrote:

> I have had similar problem after installing SP2 today. Did anybody find a
> working solution?
>
> After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless network
> but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems prior
> to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any other
> way. The same network connection with my ethernet adapter works just fine
> with no problems.
>
> I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
>
> I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> WiFi connections.
>
> Tomi
>
> "qwerty" wrote:
>
> > after i installed service pack 2 on my second computer which uses the
> > wireless adapter it fails to work. when i delete it from the perfered
> > networks list, it automatically fines the correct network (SSID) then attemps
> > to connect ... no matter the conectivity (usually good or verry good) the
> > status becomes aquiring network address (didnt it already find this when it
> > searched for networks in range?) then it times out of that operation and says
> > "Status: limited or no connectivity" ... this makes no sense to me since it
> > finds the correct network and everything ... why is this happening? NOTE:
> > before SP2 i had it working perfectly fine with WEP encryption i have tried
> > no encryption and WEP also ... i am using a linksys wireless B router, but
> > really im quite sure that SP2 has something to do with this, since this is
> > exactly when my wireless stopped working. please does anyone know what is
> > wrong?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 21, 2004 5:51:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I'm convinced there is a bug in SP2.

I have two wireless laptops and a wired desktop on one router. The desktop
and one of the wireless laptops work fine, but the second, a centrino laptop
will not resolve the IP address. It worked fine prior to SP2 and still does
occasionally.

The centrino machine is a Tosh M2 with built in ethernet and wireless. If I
plug in a ethernet cable, it connects no problem, and this fixes the wirelss
issue at the same time. I can then disconnect the ethernet cable and use
wireless as normal.

The other laptop is an older machine - a Tosh tecra 8000 - so doesn't have a
built in ethernet or wireless link.

I suspect the bug it is to do with having two TCP/IP ports enabled.

I have not seen a fix yet for this yet. MICROSOFT ARE YOU LISTENING?

Simon.

"Tomi" wrote:

> I even tried to reinstall TCP/IP as described in Microsoft Knowledge Base
> Article - 811259. No help. According to intel the driver I'm using should be
> SP2 compatible.
>
> Tomi
>
> "Tomi" wrote:
>
> > I have had similar problem after installing SP2 today. Did anybody find a
> > working solution?
> >
> > After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless network
> > but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems prior
> > to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any other
> > way. The same network connection with my ethernet adapter works just fine
> > with no problems.
> >
> > I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> > manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
> >
> > I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> > WiFi connections.
> >
> > Tomi
> >
> > "qwerty" wrote:
> >
> > > after i installed service pack 2 on my second computer which uses the
> > > wireless adapter it fails to work. when i delete it from the perfered
> > > networks list, it automatically fines the correct network (SSID) then attemps
> > > to connect ... no matter the conectivity (usually good or verry good) the
> > > status becomes aquiring network address (didnt it already find this when it
> > > searched for networks in range?) then it times out of that operation and says
> > > "Status: limited or no connectivity" ... this makes no sense to me since it
> > > finds the correct network and everything ... why is this happening? NOTE:
> > > before SP2 i had it working perfectly fine with WEP encryption i have tried
> > > no encryption and WEP also ... i am using a linksys wireless B router, but
> > > really im quite sure that SP2 has something to do with this, since this is
> > > exactly when my wireless stopped working. please does anyone know what is
> > > wrong?
October 6, 2004 6:51:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I have a possible lead for you to look at. I had the same problem after
putting SP2 on my daughters latptop. I uninstalled it and it still had
problems. I re-installed it and the connections appeared. It was working
fine until I took the updates for MS Net Framework 1.0 SP3, MS Nete Framework
1.1 SP1, and MS GDI + Detection tool. I did not install these and it is
working fine still. It is one of these updates causing the problem. Try
removing them if possible or you might have to uninstall XP SP2 and reload
it, but don't take those updates. I haven't had time to load them one at a
time to see which one it is but I believe it's one or all of them. Hope this
guides you to a solution.

"qwerty" wrote:

> after i installed service pack 2 on my second computer which uses the
> wireless adapter it fails to work. when i delete it from the perfered
> networks list, it automatically fines the correct network (SSID) then attemps
> to connect ... no matter the conectivity (usually good or verry good) the
> status becomes aquiring network address (didnt it already find this when it
> searched for networks in range?) then it times out of that operation and says
> "Status: limited or no connectivity" ... this makes no sense to me since it
> finds the correct network and everything ... why is this happening? NOTE:
> before SP2 i had it working perfectly fine with WEP encryption i have tried
> no encryption and WEP also ... i am using a linksys wireless B router, but
> really im quite sure that SP2 has something to do with this, since this is
> exactly when my wireless stopped working. please does anyone know what is
> wrong?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 13, 2005 8:07:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Right on, rick! I uninstalled sp2 from my sony vaio that uses intel pro
wireless 2200bg and voila, no problem connecting. The only issue I have
now is when I try to reinstall parts of sp2 I can't tell what not to
install...meaning all i get is a list like:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB83376)
Critical Update for Windows XP (KB88791)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB93987)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB84386)

Argh!


Rick wrote:
> I uninstalled it and it still had
> problems. I re-installed it and the connections appeared. It was
> working
> fine until I took the updates for MS Net Framework 1.0 SP3, MS Nete
> Framework
> 1.1 SP1, and MS GDI + Detection tool. I did not install these and it
> is
> working fine still. It is one of these updates causing the problem.



--
ohso!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1064424.html
!