Great new mod "The Hidden"

There's this new mod out there called "The Hidden" which is pretty
simple in its execution but is a LOT of fun.

Every player except for one is a marine, with pistols and either an SMG
or shotgun. The last player is "The Hidden", some freak escaped
experiment. The Hidden is nigh invisible, runs faster than the
marines, and is equipped only with a knife and anti-camping grenades
(otherwise marines could just sit in a corner and watch all
approaches).

If the Hidden kills all of the Marines he wins and is the Hidden for
the next round, otherwise the Marine who killed him becomes the Hidden
for the next round. It seems to work best at around 5-6 players on the
server; any more and the Hidden doesn't have any realistic chance of
winning. It'd be neat if past a certain amount of players on a server
there was more than one hidden.

So far I've described the rules, now I'll describe how it plays. It's
damn FUN. No matter which side you're on you'll simultaneously feel
like you're the hunter AND the hunted. As the Hidden you try to stay
out of view, getting only close enough to a Marine to get off a one-hit
knife kill before slipping away back where they can't see you. And
playing as the Marine is just damn terrifying, since it's very hard to
see your enemy (you can just spot a faint shimmering outline). Many
times while playing this game I would jump from fright at imaginary
enemies or fellow Marines. And there's always the twinge of adrenaline
you feel when you spot the twinkling outline of the Hidden in the
distance, the roles of hunter/hunted become reversed, and you go
running after the Hidden, hoping you're not running to your grave.

Check out the mod here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/154150/150000/fileinfo/Half-Life-2---The-Hidden-Mod

Cyde Weys wrote:
> There's this new mod out there called "The Hidden" which is pretty
> simple in its execution but is a LOT of fun.
>
> If the Hidden kills all of the Marines he wins and is the Hidden for
> the next round, otherwise the Marine who killed him becomes the Hidden
> for the next round.

Hmm anyone mentioned Zombie Panic?
http://www.zombiepanic.org/site/index.php

Everyone joins a server, say 10 people. All of the players but one join
the Survivors team, which is the humans. The remaining player joins the
Zombie team. His goal is to kill all of the humans. The humans' goal,
of course, is to stay alive as long as possible. The catch is that
everytime a zombie is killed, he simply respawns and continues to play.
If a human is killed, he respawns as a Zombie on the Zombie team. Soon,
more and more humans have joined the ranks of the zombies, until there
is only one human left, facing all of the zombies alone. When the last
human dies, the round is over.
That is the gameplay in a nutshell. Of course, there is a little more
to it than that. Humans have several advantages over the zombies
(Speed, firearms, numbers)
http://www.zombiepanic.org/site/index.php?c=about

Peter [AGHL] wrote:

> Hmm anyone mentioned Zombie Panic?
> http://www.zombiepanic.org/site/index.php
>
> Everyone joins a server, say 10 people. All of the players but one join
> the Survivors team, which is the humans. The remaining player joins the
> Zombie team. His goal is to kill all of the humans. The humans' goal,
> of course, is to stay alive as long as possible. The catch is that
> everytime a zombie is killed, he simply respawns and continues to play.
> If a human is killed, he respawns as a Zombie on the Zombie team. Soon,
> more and more humans have joined the ranks of the zombies, until there
> is only one human left, facing all of the zombies alone. When the last
> human dies, the round is over.
> That is the gameplay in a nutshell. Of course, there is a little more
> to it than that. Humans have several advantages over the zombies
> (Speed, firearms, numbers)
> http://www.zombiepanic.org/site/index.php?c=about

Awesome, I'll have to try that when I get home. Looks neato.

I'm glad there are finally some worthwhile mods coming out for HL2.
UT2K4 was beating HL2 for soooo long in that department (well it still
is, but not by so much).

Cyde Weys wrote:

> Awesome, I'll have to try that when I get home. Looks neato.

Upps it's not released yet

> I'm glad there are finally some worthwhile mods coming out for HL2.
> UT2K4 was beating HL2 for soooo long in that department (well it still
> is, but not by so much).

Moddb is a decent ressource
Released mods for HL2
http://mods.moddb.com/?search=true&mf=0&mod=&game=61&type=0&dev%5B%5D=1&order=game_name&sort=asc&list=40

- Peter

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in news:1119301480.999034.154730
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Peter [AGHL] wrote:
>
>> Hmm anyone mentioned Zombie Panic?
>> http://www.zombiepanic.org/site/index.php
>>
>> Everyone joins a server, say 10 people. All of the players but one join
>> the Survivors team, which is the humans. The remaining player joins the
>> Zombie team. His goal is to kill all of the humans. The humans' goal,
>> of course, is to stay alive as long as possible. The catch is that
>> everytime a zombie is killed, he simply respawns and continues to play.
>> If a human is killed, he respawns as a Zombie on the Zombie team. Soon,
>> more and more humans have joined the ranks of the zombies, until there
>> is only one human left, facing all of the zombies alone. When the last
>> human dies, the round is over.
>> That is the gameplay in a nutshell. Of course, there is a little more
>> to it than that. Humans have several advantages over the zombies
>> (Speed, firearms, numbers)
>> http://www.zombiepanic.org/site/index.php?c=about
>
> Awesome, I'll have to try that when I get home. Looks neato.

Ahh damn, it's not out yet for HL2, just in development.
Gahhrrr .... Must Have Brrraaaaiinnssssssss

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Jay wrote:
> Mmm, I was actually hoping it was a single-player for HL2, but like "They
> Hunger".
> I've been craving a neat spooky single-player mod for HL2, with a decent
> story.

Todesangst http://mods.moddb.com/4328/ and and TheyHunger
http://www.planethalflife.com/manke/ is in (slow) progress for Source

I have also noted another SP MOD A Terrible Secret
http://mods.moddb.com/3906/

jay

Mmm, I was actually hoping it was a single-player for HL2, but like "They
Hunger".
I've been craving a neat spooky single-player mod for HL2, with a decent
story.

Jay

In article <1119297256.419148.185060@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

> There's this new mod out there called "The Hidden" which is pretty
> simple in its execution but is a LOT of fun.

What I don't get, Cyde, is how you find the time to try out these HL2
mods... can't you hear Azeroth calling?

___
Neil
aka HighVis